ReefCleaners.org

Flow for 33 Long

AZBurns

I am setting up a 33 long (48x12x12) as a nano reef for small soft corals and maybe a few less demanding LPS.

I am looking at two Tunze 6040s for water flow in the tank. I am going to drill it and set up a Herbie overflow with a 10g sump, but only plan to return 150-200 gph to the main tank.

Would a Tunze 6040 on each end give me enough flow to avoid dead spots, without blowing the corals to Oz?

Thanks.

AZ

A couple thoughts.

It's possible that something more directable like a set of 6045's (or 6055's) might be better for such a long, shallow tank.  

If you can, I'd suggest asking Roger at Tunze USA his opinion. 

His contact info is here:

https://www.tunze.com/US/en/about-us.html

I don't think you'd move much if any sand around with the 6040's due to how they make their flow.

• Like 1

One other thing I like about the 6040s is that they look like they could be mounted to the back of the tank and still have the water directed along the length of the tank. If I have a magnet mounted on a side of a tank it will very likely be bothered by one of my cats at some point. I can easily see myself coming home to the power head laying in the sand and the magnet having been used as a toy

• Like 1
2 hours ago, AZBurns said:

I can easily see myself coming home to the power head laying in the sand and the magnet having been used as a toy

More likely that you'd come home to find your cat stuck to the glass along with the powerhead.  😉

Tunze magnets are dangerously strong....falling pumps isn't a worry.  Getting your fingers pinched is the worry (if anything).  

(I've come home to an mp40 that did what you're talking about with no outside help whatsoever though....lucky it didn't break the glass when the motor swung down on the outside!)

2 hours ago, AZBurns said:

One other thing I like about the 6040s is that they look like they could be mounted to the back of the tank and still have the water directed along the length of the tank.

Thing is they have VERY wide output.... The 6040's are more for indirect flow OR for getting flow directly onto a coral.

The 6045's are designed to move water from one end of the tank to the other like you're describing.

Worth asking Roger about IMO.

Anyone have any experience with the Current eFlux powerheads and the Orbit IC With Bluetooth? I like the idea of being able to control the lights and power heads from my phone.