Innovative Marine Aquariums

Goniopora Not Opening Normally

einstein0123

einstein0123

I have had my goniopora for about a month now, and since day one of it being in my nano tank it has looked healthy and has opened up very well every day with the exception of the past couple of days. The only variation to the tank that I can think of is that I added a Palythoa frag and a finger leather frag in the tank a couple days ago. Since then my goniopora has opened up about 50% less than it normally does, and my hammer coral is doing the same.

Now I would imagine that my water parameters couldn't have changed that drastically in a matter of 48 hours to have that kind of effect on my corals, so is it possible that my adding the paly/leather frags have resulted in some kind of "chemical warfare" between the corals that is causing my goniopora and hammer to not open up as well as they normally do? Just to clarify, none of my corals are touching each other. Thanks in advance for the insight.

-Alex

SliceGolfer

Picture? Test results/water parameters? Again, recommend the build thread, get all these individual posts in one place.

If I understand correctly, the soft corals are doing fine and the LPS corals aren’t? LPS like at least 5-10ppm nitrate and 0.10ppm phosphate, at 1.026/35ppt specific gravity. From what I read in your other thread, I think you’re stripping your water of all nutrients, starving your corals. It’s possible it could be light, flow, or pest related as well.

einstein0123
3 minutes ago, SliceGolfer said:

Picture? Test results/water parameters? Again, recommend the build thread, get all these individual posts in one place.

If I understand correctly, the soft corals are doing fine and the LPS corals aren’t? LPS like at least 5-10ppm nitrate and 0.10ppm phosphate, at 1.026/35ppt specific gravity. From what I read in your other thread, I think you’re stripping your water of all nutrients, starving your corals. It’s possible it could be light, flow, or pest related as well.

It's looking like they are reverting back to normal as of this afternoon. I will start a build thread for future posts. Thanks

Parameters:

Salinity- 1.025/1.026

PH- 8.0

Nitrate- 7ppm 

Nitrites and ammonia- around 0 ppm as far as I can tell from the API test kit

I do not have a testing method for Alk, phosphate and calcium at this time. I am planning on getting all of these within the next week. 

Should I turn off the skimmer for now and leave the thing alone? I definitely don't want to strip the water and kill everything