Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Blue Lights

Sandy Andy

Have you ever seen those aquariums with stunning blue water? I personally have always wanted my tank to have a blueish color to make it look like seawater, which appears blue. The common solution is to buy those crazy expensive lights starting at $60. While there are cool, lights that are cheaper, they require your tank to have no canopy. For those of us who have bought a canopy lid for our tank, we want to alter the color of the light. Many people take the approach of coloring the lights with a blue Sharpie, while others may not feel comfortable coloring the lights directly, in case they don't like it and might want to change their minds. What I did was I colored a piece of plastic with a Blue Sharpie and covered the light with it. I used a light blue, so it did not tint the lights very much, but it did dim the lights nicely. Later, I colored the piece of plastic a regular blue and it looked amazing.

28 minutes ago, Sandy Andy said:

Have you ever seen those aquariums with stunning blue water? I personally have always wanted my tank to have a blueish color to make it look like seawater, which appears blue. The common solution is to buy those crazy expensive lights starting at $60. While there are cool, lights that are cheaper, they require your tank to have no canopy. For those of us who have bought a canopy lid for our tank, we want to alter the color of the light. Many people take the approach of coloring the lights with a blue Sharpie, while others may not feel comfortable coloring the lights directly, in case they don't like it and might want to change their minds. What I did was I colored a piece of plastic with a Blue Sharpie and covered the light with it. I used a light blue, so it did not tint the lights very much, but it did dim the lights nicely.

We run blue lights not just for look but those leds are the spectrum that corals like and need.

They aren't coloured blue they are leds like this

Cree XT-E Royal Blue 450nm

or UV leds

• Like 1

Uh what? What are you using for lights on your tank? $60 is not a lot of money for reef lighting. Also, a blue sharpie? On what? 

• Like 1

Using the sharpie will not give the spectrum that corals need. It may be blue but I would think that it would also cause the led to get to warm by trapping the light and heat causing the lens to melt or turn brown . Also agree with the above post. 60.00 is a small amount for a aquarium light.

Mine was 1300.00 . Orphek Atlantik V4. I think that would be considered an expensive light.