inTank Media Baskets

Sick Clown in QT

Bigshowff1

Hello,

Im new to saltwater tanks. I recently set up a Red Sea max nano. Started with a mocha Vinci clown who has been doing great for 6 weeks. Added in another clown, within a day the new clown stopped eating and started breathing heavy. The next day, the mocha was acting funny, day after that  is he had heavy breathing and not eating. No spots or anything like that on skin, did notice long stringy white poop. Water levels all good, also have a few other fish and cleaner shrimp all doing great. 

Talked to LFS and based their recommendations, set up a small QT, did a dip in rid-ich plus, added rid-ich to QT as well, added cupramine and then put both fish in QT. The new clown died a few hours later. Mocha is still acting weird but is not eating and swims up at the top of the tank at an upward angle, constantly.

Talked to LFS again, they recommend a freshwater dip and then treat QT with Rid-Ich again.

I haven’t seen mocha get better, but also seems he is not getting worse. He is still it eating. I attached a picture, you can actually see the white poop. 

Question is, I don’t exactly know what is wrong with him, so how long do I keep doing this before I try something else? I also have parazipro, but haven’t used yet.

Thanks in advance.

D0C0F78A-9075-49D4-8314-8638B92B9ED9.png

87DAEA94-E9D1-4186-A570-CAA0B5AC2316.png

Is it eating at all?

General cure soaked food is used for internal parasites. It's fins look ragged as well so perhaps something more is at play here. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Bigshowff1 said:

It’s not.  I haven’t seen it eat since Tuesday. 

I would dose Prazipro or General Cure in the water. Hopefully the fish drinks enough of the praziquantel for the medication to be effective.

Well, now he is laying on his side at the bottom of the tank, breathing rapidly. He gets up and swims around every couple of minutes, but only for a few seconds. 

Anything else I should try? Maybe a freshwater dip? 

4 hours ago, Bigshowff1 said:

Anything else I should try? Maybe a freshwater dip? 

Sounds like a FW dip will probably kill him at this point. Are you seeing any white dots or smudges on him??

No. He made it through the night though. Still Just laying on his side, gets up and swims around every once in a while.  Going to try to get some food close to him. Maybe he will eat

9 hours ago, Bigshowff1 said:

Just checked the QT parameters. Ammonia was .25 ppm. I did a 50% water change.  Should I dose the prazipro again? 

I would just let him be from the sound of things. Ammonia in the water isn't doing him any favors, and could be exacerbating symptoms.

He didn’t make it. 

Since I don’t know what was wrong with them, What should I do with my QT. Dump the water, clean it out and start it up again with DT water?  

I would like to use it to quarantine new fish. Wish I would have done that a week ago. Hard lessons learned.  

54 minutes ago, Bigshowff1 said:

He didn’t make it. 

Since I don’t know what was wrong with them, What should I do with my QT. Dump the water, clean it out and start it up again with DT water?  

I would like to use it to quarantine new fish. Wish I would have done that a week ago. Hard lessons learned.  

I would clean, sterilize and start over with it. You don't want your next fish having the same issues and start wondering in the back of your mind if you have a contaminated QT.

loss.gif.7374ccf7a192ba6755f562974490596a.gif

2 hours ago, Humblefish said:

I would clean, sterilize and start over with it. You don't want your next fish having the same issues and start wondering in the back of your mind if you have a contaminated QT.

loss.gif.7374ccf7a192ba6755f562974490596a.gif

Thank you. What’s best to sterilize with? A mild soap? 

7 hours ago, Bigshowff1 said:

Thank you. What’s best to sterilize with? A mild soap? 

I would break the tank down, clean everything with vinegar and allow to air dry (with a fan blowing) for 3 days.