inTank Media Baskets

Seeding a new tank

roblox84

I just set up a new 20g and was wondering what is the best way to seed this tank with bacteria from an existing tank i have?

My existing 5 gallon reef has algae and aiptasia so i need to make sure any method used won't introduce those into my new tank. Thanks

I'd actually suggest that dropping a chunk of algae (roots and all if you can) in there would be a fine idea.  It's loaded with beneficial microbes, and green algae is something that no healthy tank can really do without.   (Cleanup crew required to keep it mowed.)

Avoid the aiptasia of course....easy enough to see them and just NOT take them.  (My guess is that it would dissolve and NICELY seed the tank.)

A scoop of sand or detritus would also be beneficial.

Do you have a thread on the 5 gallon?

Just in case it helps with the algae, check this out (and use Aiptasia X for that part):

• Like 1
On 3/24/2020 at 6:10 AM, mcarroll said:

I'd actually suggest that dropping a chunk of algae (roots and all if you can) in there would be a fine idea.  It's loaded with beneficial microbes, and green algae is something that no healthy tank can really do without.   (Cleanup crew required to keep it mowed.)

Avoid the aiptasia of course....easy enough to see them and just NOT take them.  (My guess is that it would dissolve and NICELY seed the tank.)

A scoop of sand or detritus would also be beneficial.

Do you have a thread on the 5 gallon?

Just in case it helps with the algae, check this out (and use Aiptasia X for that part):

Sorry no thread on it. 

20191024_150301.jpg

20200214_154548.jpg

• Like 1