Pod Your Reef

Fluval EVO Peacock Mantis Tank

Isaacthedev

12 hours ago, Isaacthedev said:

Can I add a 5” peacock mantis shrimp in a fluval EVO alone ? Would the bioload be too high 

A peacock needs about 30g. Not just because bioload but it would be pretty unhappy in such a small tank. Large mantis in small tanks is when they can actually crack the glass too.

A small species of mantis could work.

• Like 1
Isaacthedev
6 hours ago, Tamberav said:

A peacock needs about 30g. Not just because bioload but it would be pretty unhappy in such a small tank. Large mantis in small tanks is when they can actually crack the glass too.

A small species of mantis could work.

Yeah when I ordered it it said 2” it came as 5/6 and my nitrates are through the roof now. Will try to find a LFS wHo will take it for free. 

2 hours ago, Isaacthedev said:

Yeah when I ordered it it said 2” it came as 5/6 and my nitrates are through the roof now. Will try to find a LFS wHo will take it for free. 

High nitrates like that is definitely a danger to the shrimp. Poor water quality can cause shell rot even without lighting.

Peacocks grow fast...I had one go from an 1 inch to 4+ inches in just a year so I wouldn't try to find another small one. This is also probably why small ones are rare...they grow right up real quick.

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

Check saltybottomreefcompany, I think they have like 2 mantis’s for sale, and they both stay small. Also kp aquatics sells them, just depends on if they have them in stock. Tamberav is right, peacock is way to big for that tank

Isaacthedev
On 3/21/2020 at 3:57 PM, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

Check saltybottomreefcompany, I think they have like 2 mantis’s for sale, and they both stay small. Also kp aquatics sells them, just depends on if they have them in stock. Tamberav is right, peacock is way to big for that tank

Unfortunately I live in Canada

• Haha 1