Cultivated Reef

Yellowish Water

Sandy Andy

I've recently started a 10 gallon tank. I mixed dechlorinated tap water with Instant Ocean Reef Crystals. Ever since then, my water has a slight yellowishness. I've seen plenty of tank on the web where it looks like the fish are floating and the water is crystal clear. I know it's not the sand. This problem would have been solved by now in that case. I'm considering restarting the tank by taking out all the water.

Can I use filtered water, or will it still have the same yellowish tint? Also, what brands of distilled water that are out there could I use? 

Couesfanatic

Carbon will get rid of it, I'd start with that. It's common for new tanks to get yellow water. That being said you really should be running RODI water, lots of different options for that but the cheapest in the long run will be using your own RODI system. 

Rodi or distilled is the best. Both are pure water.

Spring water, tap water, and regular RO aren't advised. There is still a lot of stuff in these.

Get a good carbon like seachem, kent, or brs.

Add it to a media bag and change every 2-3 weeks.

If distilled water works, what brands of distilled water can I use and what is this carbon? I already have a Tetra-Whisper 10 running with a carbon bag in it, but it's been 4 weeks since I put in the water, and I haven't seen a change.

19 minutes ago, Sandy Andy said:

If distilled water works, what brands of distilled water can I use and what is this carbon? I already have a Tetra-Whisper 10 running with a carbon bag in it, but it's been 4 weeks since I put in the water, and I haven't seen a change.

Any bottled distilled water sold at any pharmacy and grocery store. They are all distilled as long as it's not remineralized.

Activated carbon. The tetra brand may not be good enough. 

Carbon needs changing, most aren't effective after 4 weeks.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Sandy Andy said:

What brands of carbon can I use?

Seachem matrix activated carbon, Kent, brs, are good brands

10 hours ago, Clown79 said:

Rodi or distilled is the best. Both are pure water.

Spring water, tap water, and regular RO aren't advised. There is still a lot of stuff in these.

Get a good carbon like seachem, kent, or brs.

Add it to a media bag and change every 2-3 weeks.

^

19 hours ago, Sandy Andy said:

I've recently started a 10 gallon tank. I mixed dechlorinated tap water with Instant Ocean Reef Crystals. Ever since then, my water has a slight yellowishness. I've seen plenty of tank on the web where it looks like the fish are floating and the water is crystal clear. I know it's not the sand. This problem would have been solved by now in that case. I'm considering restarting the tank by taking out all the water.

Can I use filtered water, or will it still have the same yellowish tint? Also, what brands of distilled water that are out there could I use? 

I was doing exactly what you were doing for my 10g nano reef tank. The yellow water happened for me also. i think it has to do something with the nitrogen cycle. No need to worry, just continue with water changes and use carbon. And another thing, if you do use tap water, get a good water test kit and test for the basics. And if you are planning on getting some corals, get a test kit for calcium, alkalinity, ect.  I do not use RODI water and yet i have extremely healthy corals. My well water luckily has the perfect water peramiters for corals and fish(calcium, ph, ect.) But if the tap you use doesnt have correct peramiters, get a some RODI water.

• Like 1

I talked to Marine Depot, and they recommended adding more carbon media. I put in two whole extra bags of carbon (still using Tetra) and my tank is much clearer. It's not 100% clear, but it's very close.

That's what we recommended.

Carbon needs changing, especially if there is a problem you are correcting- like removal of toxins or yellow water.

You're better off using less and changing more frequently- like weekly during this time.

• Like 1