Pod Your Reef

Unexpected favites

Reefsamurai

Reefsamurai

I was adding some paly/zoo frags to my fluval 5g tonight and realized one of the palys was covering a 4-5 head favites colony. I quickly broke this off as they had already killed one of the heads and put it at the top of my rockwork. My question is, I was planning on upgrading to the ai prime this coming Friday and I haven't pulled the trigger on upgrading my pump so my flow is only like 80ish gph right now instead of 156gph. Do I need to get all these sooner rather than later, including a wave maker?(I've been eyeballing the eflux or aquamai). Thanks in advance.

SliceGolfer

No, there is no rush to change the equipment you mentioned. Take care not to bleach the Favites with too much light if it’s positioned atop your rock work. You may even move it down for now if it’s new to your tank. Got a photo?

Reefsamurai
18 minutes ago, SliceGolfer said:

No, there is no rush to change the equipment you mentioned. Take care not to bleach the Favites with too much light if it’s positioned atop your rock work. You may even move it down for now if it’s new to your tank. Got a photo?

My current light is a wave point 6" 10k btw. Theae corals are coming from tanks with whatever the twin ai units are.

IMG_20200315_215100294.jpg

IMG_20200315_215107346.jpg

Reefsamurai
7 hours ago, Clown79 said:

Favia prefers lower light. Low- Moderate flow

So do I have favia or favites? Ive never kept these before in any previous tank, always zoos/palys/shrooms and SPS. As such I'm used to things wanting higher flow and lots of light. Also tanking my cues from the frag tanks these came out of. My lighting is 1w/led vs the ai I'll be getting. 

Is there any good current references for care, I find a lot of older articles that aren't up to date with current lighting and tech.

22 minutes ago, Reefsamurai said:

So do I have favia or favites? Ive never kept these before in any previous tank, always zoos/palys/shrooms and SPS. As such I'm used to things wanting higher flow and lots of light. Also tanking my cues from the frag tanks these came out of. My lighting is 1w/led vs the ai I'll be getting. 

Is there any good current references for care, I find a lot of older articles that aren't up to date with current lighting and tech.

They pretty much have the same requirements. There are very similar.

Also an aggressive coral.

Care wise, best placed in lower regions if you plan on running higher light for other high light corals like sps.

Moderate flow placement, keep a distance away from other corals.

Same as other lps. Monitor alk consumption.

Reefsamurai
14 hours ago, SliceGolfer said:

My current light is a wave point 6" 10k btw. Theae corals are coming from tanks with whatever the twin ai units are.

I'll make sure to place it on the sand bed when I get the new light so I don't kill it. So far I can see they like to be fed reefroids as well as my other corals. 

Thanks for the help guys.

• Like 1