Pod Your Reef

The 40B returns!

Coastie

Hey all!

So about 5 years ago, I was really active on Nano-Reef with my 40 Breeder chugging along.  Then BAM! I got orders to Guam.  Well, decided to sell everything but the tank and stand.  Fast Forward to 2018 and I return the states. I started with a Fusion 20, knowing that I was going to be moving and wanted to wait.  It was killing me.  Bought a house in 2019, cracked the IM20 built a 20L AIO and ran that while I rebuilt the 40B!

This reboot has proven to be much better with age!  Anyhow, on to the good stuff.

Equipment List:

-Petco $1 a gallon 40 Breeder (bought in New Orleans while I was deployed for the BP oil spill!)

-20L sump ($1 a gallon sale, late 2019 purchase) w/ Jax Racks Sump Kit

-Glass-Holes 700 GPH overflow kit

-Jebao DCT-4000 Return Pump

-Jager 150W heater.

-Eshopps Axiom x-120 skimmer

-Vortech MP-40W (white box)

-36" Aquaticlife Hybrid with 3 AI Primes (one non HD).  80/20 built light hanger.

-Marco Rocks Sand.

-35 lbs Dry shelf base rock 

- Apex Lite w/ one EB8 pH and Temp.

- Tunze ATO

- Self Built Stand.  Planning an electronics cabinet.... as you can see, I need it.

Tank got wet Feb 7, 2020.  Just finished cycling.

20200303_202653.jpg

20200303_202720.jpg

20200302_151429.jpg

20200303_202705.jpg

• Like 2

Those wires though! 😂 

Honestly though, super cool build. Welcome back! I love to see experienced reefers get back into the game. Can't wait to see where you take the 40 breeder, and I of course will be following along. I really like your light fixture!

Any specific plans on livestock, or are you going to play it by ear?

Haha yeah the wires.... They've been cleaned up a bit since that picture but still not great.  Almost bought the wood for the electronics cabinet today.

Regarding live stock.  I know what I want, but I sort of surprised my wife with my passion regarding reef tanks.  Since I'm trying to get her somewhat interested, I may let her choose some fish 😬.  So I guess kind of playing it by ear?

Not really worth the mention but I feel like tracking my own journey here.

Tank is cycled-ish.  It takes a bit longer than 24 hours for it to take 1ppm of ammonia and turn it into nitrites, then nitrates. 

Thinking tomorrow I'll move a hermit over (bold, I know), then the plan is to get a firefish, I love those things.  Plus knowing they're on Guam makes them cooler!  Going to add the FF first because, well they aren't exactly the boldest I'd fish and want to add it before the wrasse, and apparently my wife remembers I said we could get a Royal Gramma.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Quick update.  Cleanup crew did quick work of the algae.  Smoothed out some of the rockwork.  Been wanting to get a firefish but don't want to order online for a ~$10 fish.  May venture out into the brave world and hit the LFS.

Might even migrate some things over from the 20, which has been doing really well!  Almost makes me sad to take it down.  Toying with turning it into a frag tank.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Coastie said:

Quick update.  Cleanup crew did quick work of the algae.  Smoothed out some of the rockwork.  Been wanting to get a firefish but don't want to order online for a ~$10 fish.  May venture out into the brave world and hit the LFS.

Might even migrate some things over from the 20, which has been doing really well!  Almost makes me sad to take it down.  Toying with turning it into a frag tank.

Glad to hear the CUC is doing its job in there. I agree with you about ordering online too - it can be a pretty tricky business. On the one hand you want to make a large enough purchase to justify paying for shipping costs, but on the other hand you know in the back of your mind that adding livestock a little bit at a time is by far the better way to go about stocking your tank... 😕 Hopefully you can find something interesting at the LFS!

Thanks.  I'd put a large amount of money that I could find a firefish at the LFS. Just with VA imposing a lock down, not sure I want to go out to a place I trust (20-30 minute drive) to get one.

And Liveaquaria failed me before.

Totally forgot to mention, the 40 got an upgrade!

• 2 weeks later...

So now the 40 is lit by a gen 3 xr30w pro in the aquaticlife hybrid fixture w/ 2 blue+ and 2 UV bulbs.  

It's pretty boring to see right now so here's a picture of the 20L

20200413_234145.jpg

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
10 minutes ago, Coastie said:

So now the 40 is lit by a gen 3 xr30w pro in the aquaticlife hybrid fixture w/ 2 blue+ and 2 UV bulbs.  

Yeah, I'd say that's definitely an upgrade! 😂 Impressive. Can't wait to see it in action.

Okay, well the quick response made me excited so here's the 40.  Don't mind the glass, it's a bit dirty.  Oh and the radion rests on the top of the hybrid because I don't have the correct brackets and I'm too lazy to order them.

Also pictured; some frags and a little Walt Disney nub. 😄

20200416_180146.jpg

20200415_193330.jpg

20200415_144422.jpg

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
1 hour ago, Coastie said:

Okay, well the quick response made me excited so here's the 40.  Don't mind the glass, it's a bit dirty.  Oh and the radion rests on the top of the hybrid because I don't have the correct brackets and I'm too lazy to order them.

You call that glass dirty? You should see mine. I'm using it to cultivate copepods. 😂

Sweet rig! I say that if it works with the Radion sitting on top of the hybrid fixture like that, who needs brackets? As long as you don't accidentally knock it into the water I imagine it'll be fine. Quite a monstrous lighting setup, all things considered. You're going to be good to grow whatever you'd like in here. 👍

Thanks!

It is a bit overkill but I did want to be able to throw anything I want in the tank and not have to worry about not having enough light.

I got everything used (except the bulbs) so it didn't break the bank either!

My fuge is handling pod production.  Considering this has been running since Feb 7th fish free, I should have a decent stock.  I've seen a few big ones walking across the rock.

Attached is my "accidental radion in drink" prevention and the bulbs. Half of them are off due to the schedule.  I need to put the end caps back on but ive been chasing a 9 month old around the house.

20200417_183330.jpg

20200417_183338.jpg