Pod Your Reef

chickpea's 20 gallon *Very* tall

chickpea

When circumstances forbid me from continuing to run my first ever saltwater aquarium, I saved my live rock in a heated bucket of saltwater. I did not expect to be ever able to use this rock again, but I would have felt awful throwing it away, as it had been a gift from my mom. As luck would have it, I now have the time and (hopefully) the skillset to pick up from where I left off, years later ! 

• Like 6

I picked up this ridiculous tank from my local fish store - I calculated that it has the exact footprint of two ten gallon tanks stacked. I wanted something unconventional for my room, as my current aquarium collection includes standard rectangle planted tanks. I elected to use my desk as a stand. Currently , the tank is sitting at 3 days old. It holds 15 pounds of pink live sand, and I believe it was 18 pounds of live rock. I anticipate a long cycle, there was no doubt significant die off of the live Rock's bacterial culture despite my best efforts to preserve it. I'm dosing microbacter7 per the bottle's instructions, and ghost feeding the tank very lightly.  My main concern right now is decluttering the tank. I had an extra hang on back filter and stuffed it with a sock full of carbon. it's really unsightly , with the intake extending all the way down to the rock work. I hope to remedy this in the near future. The heater should be easy to hide, I'm not as concerned about that.

I'm all ears for suggestions on how to make use of the tank's very tall profile- I'm thinking about getting some more rock and making the scape more vertical. I'm really undecided on future stocking as well. I can't think of any critters in particular that will utilize the vertical space , barring sea horses. I also anticipate getting light to penetrate the bottom of the tank being an issue. The current light I'm running is a leftover from an old planted tank , It has no merit in a saltwater tank other than fostering algae growth and letting me watch the tank cycle. 

Any aquascape, livestock, or light reccomendations? 

IMG_20200313_120232.jpg

• Like 8
24 minutes ago, chickpea said:

I picked up this ridiculous tank from my local fish store - I calculated that it has the exact footprint of two ten gallon tanks stacked. I wanted something unconventional for my room, as my current aquarium collection includes standard rectangle planted tanks. I elected to use my desk as a stand. Currently , the tank is sitting at 3 days old. It holds 15 pounds of pink live sand, and I believe it was 18 pounds of live rock. I anticipate a long cycle, there was no doubt significant die off of the live Rock's bacterial culture despite my best efforts to preserve it. I'm dosing microbacter7 per the bottle's instructions, and ghost feeding the tank very lightly.  My main concern right now is decluttering the tank. I had an extra hang on back filter and stuffed it with a sock full of carbon. it's really unsightly , with the intake extending all the way down to the rock work. I hope to remedy this in the near future. The heater should be easy to hide, I'm not as concerned about that.

I'm all ears for suggestions on how to make use of the tank's very tall profile- I'm thinking about getting some more rock and making the scape more vertical. I'm really undecided on future stocking as well. I can't think of any critters in particular that will utilize the vertical space , barring sea horses. I also anticipate getting light to penetrate the bottom of the tank being an issue. The current light I'm running is a leftover from an old planted tank , It has no merit in a saltwater tank other than fostering algae growth and letting me watch the tank cycle. 

IMG_20200313_120232.jpg

:welcome:

I like it so far. 

you could get some magnetic “islands” to place on the back glass that would help take advantage of the height. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, WV Reefer said:

:welcome:

I like it so far. 

you could get some magnetic “islands” to place on the back glass that would help take advantage of the height. 

thank you for the warm welcome ! Great suggestion on the magnetic islands, I've always liked the look of the frags suspended on the glass at my local fish store

• Like 1
3 hours ago, chickpea said:

IMG_20200313_120232.jpg

Love the dimensions of that tank, instantly thought of a split scape 

0b82dc4bfb4a6c16e1aca87b77fd26ba.jpg.ed444a51f206a0648d73a83623e85062.jpg

• Like 5
46 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

Love the dimensions of that tank, instantly thought of a split scape 

0b82dc4bfb4a6c16e1aca87b77fd26ba.jpg.ed444a51f206a0648d73a83623e85062.jpg

Thanks for the visual ! To accomplish something like this would you reccomend building up both existing pillars of rock and leaving the middle of the tank sparse? I really like the look of this and I think it would be worth buying more rock for.

• Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, chickpea said:

Thanks for the visual ! To accomplish something like this would you reccomend building up both existing pillars of rock and leaving the middle of the tank sparse? I really like the look of this and I think it would be worth buying more rock for.

Yes but don't go all the way up with it, leave some free space at the top, probably best not to go so thick with the rock either

Also make sure you can access all areas of the scape with the rock in place

IMG_20200313_203102.jpg.0d288de7ae67afabdcaeef132f6ed650.jpg

Orange for the rock, not as thick. You can use a background to create the rest of the effect. 

• Like 1

Welcome @chickpea! That's quite a tank you've got there!

An aquarium of these dimensions would look great filled up with gorgonians. That would be my personal go-to choice. Not that I'm biased or anything of course. 😁 Finding fish that would make good use of all that vertical space seems like the more challenging part. 

• Like 3
5 hours ago, Ratvan said:

Yes but don't go all the way up with it, leave some free space at the top, probably best not to go so thick with the rock either

Also make sure you can access all areas of the scape with the rock in place

IMG_20200313_203102.jpg.0d288de7ae67afabdcaeef132f6ed650.jpg

Orange for the rock, not as thick. You can use a background to create the rest of the effect. 

I like that idea a lot, especially since building up would allow me more room for corals. Definitely revisiting this next time I shop at my lfs.

3 hours ago, billygoat said:

Welcome @chickpea! That's quite a tank you've got there!

An aquarium of these dimensions would look great filled up with gorgonians. That would be my personal go-to choice. Not that I'm biased or anything of course. 😁 Finding fish that would make good use of all that vertical space seems like the more challenging part. 

Great suggestion ! I was falsely remembering that all gorgonians cannot photosynthesize , and a little research proved me wrong. I'd love to keep some of these once I'm cycled. I'm totally lost as to how I should proceed stocking this tank so having even one idea helps a bunch, thank you !

• Like 2

You don't see a lot of tall (nano) reef tanks, but I think when well executed, you can get a very nice result.

I'm still waiting for my own tall reef tank (Sera Scapers 80).

I'm inspired by the Penjing Bonsai-style, and I think something like this can also be reproduced in a tall reef tank:

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor penjing bonsai

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor penjing rocks

• Like 3
14 minutes ago, DNR88 said:

You don't see a lot of tall reef tanks, but I think when you do it right, uou can gat a very nice result.

I wait for my own tall reef tank (Sera Scapers 80) as well.

I'm inspired by the Penjing Bonsai-style, and I think something like this can also be reproduced in a tall reef tank:

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor penjing rocks

I'm particularly fond of the first image you included, it's probably most similar to my current scape as well. I was floored once I figured out just how long bonsai take to grow , I could stand to learn something from the patience and tenacity of bonsai growers- I just passed up a pretty good looking light for this tank because it's gonna take 3-4 weeks to get here. It's lovely to see where you all draw inspiration from for your aquariums and I appreciate so much you sharing this with me ! 

• Like 1

OKAY I think I have finally decided on a light. The wattage seems a little low for my tank's depth, but I wouldn't mind at all a vertically stratified set up with lower light corals like mushrooms concentrating near the sand bed. I saw a very healthy rose bubble tip anemone being grown with this light in the Amazon reviews for the product, and that was enough for me. I'm very glad that this is likely my last major equipment purchase, the covid 19 pandemic is slowing down the restaurant business and accordingly, my tip money ha ha. In between saving for my first car and college, I'll probably start a firm weekly or monthly budget for this tank. But not before I buy a pair of bougie designer clowns without thinking twice. Maybe. I'm still only commited to gorgonians in this tank's stock list. Thanks again for all the helpful feedback. Let me reply with the light I have in mind.

I have no doubt this would provide adequate coverage , my tanks footprint being that of a ten gallon and all, and so long as I get good light penetration into MOST of the tank I'll be fine. I'll tell myself my aquarium has a photic zone ! whatever makes me feel better about cheaping out on lighting. Screenshot_20200314-143804.thumb.png.55b50235f64999eeef32786308bf9d8a.png

• Like 1
21 hours ago, chickpea said:

Great suggestion ! I was falsely remembering that all gorgonians cannot photosynthesize , and a little research proved me wrong. I'd love to keep some of these once I'm cycled. I'm totally lost as to how I should proceed stocking this tank so having even one idea helps a bunch, thank you !

Indeed there are quite a few varieties of photosynthetic gorgonians available in the hobby. Some of them even make excellent starter corals, and many of them can be had pretty cheaply to boot! They are definitely some of my favorite corals, so I'm thrilled to hear that you're interested in keeping a few. 😁 Let me know if you need any suggestions on what kind to get/where to get them/what to do with them!

5 hours ago, chickpea said:

I have no doubt this would provide adequate coverage , my tanks footprint being that of a ten gallon and all, and so long as I get good light penetration into MOST of the tank I'll be fine. I'll tell myself my aquarium has a photic zone ! whatever makes me feel better about cheaping out on lighting.

I've seen these NICREW lights here and there in the hobby and they seem like a pretty economical option. 50 watts is actually pretty strong for a nano tank light. You'd more than likely be just fine growing gorgonians and other soft corals with that thing.

20 hours ago, billygoat said:

Indeed there are quite a few varieties of photosynthetic gorgonians available in the hobby. Some of them even make excellent starter corals, and many of them can be had pretty cheaply to boot! They are definitely some of my favorite corals, so I'm thrilled to hear that you're interested in keeping a few. 😁 Let me know if you need any suggestions on what kind to get/where to get them/what to do with them!

I've seen these NICREW lights here and there in the hobby and they seem like a pretty economical option. 50 watts is actually pretty strong for a nano tank light. You'd more than likely be just fine growing gorgonians and other soft corals with that thing.

Ahh, I had convinced myself on the light I'm getting but having another reaffirming opinion is a relief ! 

ok, minor setback 😞

Updates with this tank were always going to be slow with it cycling and everything , but it looks like this is going to be the case especially so. Ohio just shut down all bars and restaurants due to the coronavirus outbreak, and now I'm without an income. just pulled my tips from work , and I think I'll allow myself to maybe to get a couple ten dollar frags from the LFS and maybe a fish , but i'm really not comfortable spending money on a hobby in this situation. appreciate all the support and feedback so far, and I hope you guys will stick with me 😞 I'm a little upset but people are quite literally dying , I can't be too mad about my fish tank's progress being slowed. Please everyone be safe. This tank is gonna be filled to the brim with corals and probably slightly overstocked with fish eventually , I won't give up !!!!! 

• Sad 1
20 hours ago, billygoat said:

50w of LED is actually more than I use on my 20g tall tank packed with acros and I have high angle optics to cut down the intensity even more. I've been using 43w over my acros for a couple years now and they grow like weeds.

A tall tank like that will allow you to grow higher light demanding coral like SPS up top and not blast sensitive LPS corals like chalices down low. I like it!

• Like 1
3 hours ago, chickpea said:

ok, minor setback 😞

Updates with this tank were always going to be slow with it cycling and everything , but it looks like this is going to be the case especially so. Ohio just shut down all bars and restaurants due to the coronavirus outbreak, and now I'm without an income. just pulled my tips from work , and I think I'll allow myself to maybe to get a couple ten dollar frags from the LFS and maybe a fish , but i'm really not comfortable spending money on a hobby in this situation. appreciate all the support and feedback so far, and I hope you guys will stick with me 😞 I'm a little upset but people are quite literally dying , I can't be too mad about my fish tank's progress being slowed. Please everyone be safe. This tank is gonna be filled to the brim with corals and probably slightly overstocked with fish eventually , I won't give up !!!!! 

It's definitely a tough time to be spending hundreds of hard-earned dollars on what amounts to basically an optional purchase. But don't worry! If there are delays in your stocking plan, think of them as opportunities to do lots of research. You might find some information that changes your plan for the future of your tank, or something that really piques your interest! Even the worst things often have silver linings. 🌦️

3 hours ago, jservedio said:

50w of LED is actually more than I use on my 20g tall tank packed with acros and I have high angle optics to cut down the intensity even more. I've been using 43w over my acros for a couple years now and they grow like weeds.

A tall tank like that will allow you to grow higher light demanding coral like SPS up top and not blast sensitive LPS corals like chalices down low. I like it!

Agreed - 50w is quite a lot for a tank this size! I run my 40w light at 50% power and that's been more than enough for the gorgonians and softies in my 18 gallon tank. So the NICREW light should be a solid choice. Plenty of penetrative power to take advantage of all the various light-levels in your very tall tank. 👍

• Like 1
On 3/15/2020 at 5:18 PM, jservedio said:

Amazon locked me out of my account when I signed up for the prime free trial and ordered the light and RODI cartridges for some reason. But I'm so glad everyone thinks this light will be good ! Let's hope Mr Jeff Bezos restores my account and grants me the privilege of blowing my money on fish supplies. Sigh.

23 hours ago, billygoat said:

It's definitely a tough time to be spending hundreds of hard-earned dollars on what amounts to basically an optional purchase. But don't worry! If there are delays in your stocking plan, think of them as opportunities to do lots of research. You might find some information that changes your plan for the future of your tank, or something that really piques your interest! Even the worst things often have silver linings. 🌦️

Agreed - 50w is quite a lot for a tank this size! I run my 40w light at 50% power and that's been more than enough for the gorgonians and softies in my 18 gallon tank. So the NICREW light should be a solid choice. Plenty of penetrative power to take advantage of all the various light-levels in your very tall tank. 👍

I love your perspective, you're so right. Not an ounce of hope has been dashed for this set up. I like to sit in front of my empty tank and let my mind wander. I am going to absolutely lose my shit when I add corals to this system. I cannot word properly how excited I am. I'm gonna have to check out your 18 gallon for inspiration, in fact, I've probably seen it given how long I've been lurking here. I'll blow thru an entire tank build in a day without paying attention to the username of who posted it ha ha.

• Like 1

A pair of yellow head jawfish would be so cool in this tank. You’d want to add some sand, they like 4”+ of sand. Those and some gorgonians and you’d have a nice little Caribbean biotope going!  

• Like 2
2 hours ago, RedCrow said:

A pair of yellow head jawfish would be so cool in this tank. You’d want to add some sand, they like 4”+ of sand. Those and some gorgonians and you’d have a nice little Caribbean biotope going!  

oh, these are absolutely gorgeous. I am worried about a deep sand bed becoming a nitrate trap. would I be able to also keep a large pistol shrimp ? They're a favorite species of mine, I know they wouldn't symbiote with the jawfish, but would they tolerate them?  I'd be pushing fully stocked as this is only a twenty gallon but would the yellow heads tolerate, say, a clownfish, or Royal Gramma ?  Thanks for the suggestion, I've never seen this species before, only the less affordable blue spot jaws. Where can I buy a confirmed pair?

• Like 1

www.kpaquatics.com Sometimes has Mayer pairs in stock; their website has them listed at $60 a pair, though they’re currently out of stock. 
 Jawfish typically like a square foot of sand bed per fish, but you can get away with a bit less with a mates pair as they’ll share tunnels. I think you may have territory disputes between two jawfish and a pistol shrimp. If the shrimp is something you really want you may have better luck with a single jawfish. I personally buy pairs whenever I can because I love the dynamic personalities you get when keeping multiples. 
 For a third fish, you’d probably be fine with anything that isn’t sand dwelling, as territories will rarely cross. Royal grammas are also a Caribbean fish, so if you wanted to go with kind of a biotope they’d be a great choice. 

One note about jawfish: they WILL find any ay out of the tank they can. Make sure you have a tight fitting lid with no gaps if you choose to go with them. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, chickpea said:

I love your perspective, you're so right. Not an ounce of hope has been dashed for this set up. I like to sit in front of my empty tank and let my mind wander. I am going to absolutely lose my shit when I add corals to this system. I cannot word properly how excited I am. I'm gonna have to check out your 18 gallon for inspiration, in fact, I've probably seen it given how long I've been lurking here. I'll blow thru an entire tank build in a day without paying attention to the username of who posted it ha ha.

Great to hear that you're excited! I've been fascinated by my tank since the first day I put water in it; in the beginning I would spend hours staring at rocks and sand, even before I had snails or anything else in there. It's a lot more engaging than non-reefers realize! 😁

2 hours ago, RedCrow said:

I agree with @RedCrow here: a deep sand bed would be another super interesting place to take your very tall tank. You could actually put quite a bit of sand in there and still have enough vertical space left over to have it look like a normal aquarium. Jawfish would certainly be a cool choice in that scenario, though they do have a few somewhat obnoxious habits that you should be aware of. They make a big mess at first of course, since they move a lot of sand around as they prospect for a good spot to burrow. They do best with a mixed substrate composed of variously sized particles, including some larger rocks and shells that they can use to reinforce their burrows. Jawfish are also champion jumpers and will almost certainly jump on dark nights, especially right after they are introduced to a new tank, so you'd certainly need a good lid. This behavior seems to stop after they settle in and find a permanent spot to make their home, but it can take awhile. In fact my jawfish took about five months to make a permanent burrow! That being said though, they are beautiful fish and have a reputation for being disease-resistant. They'd probably not tolerate the presence of a pistol shrimp though.

A deep sand bed would also be a cool habitat for mangroves, if you're interested in those. They couldn't be kept with the jawfish because they'd require you to keep your tank lidless, but they'd utilize that vertical space beautifully.

• Like 1