Pod Your Reef

Low light options for 20 long softie tank.

musicsmaker

musicsmaker

I'm looking for good options for lighting a 20L (20 gallon long) aquarium with shrooms and lps only.

I currently have two par 38 bulbs about 9.5" off the water, and even in the darkest areas, my shrooms don't open big like I'd like them to.

I'm going to try raising the par 38's up for now, but eventually I'd like to replace them with something less powerful. 

Thoughts?

MainelyReefer
12 minutes ago, musicsmaker said:

I'm looking for good options for lighting a 20L aquarium with shrooms and lps only.

I currently have two par 38 bulbs about 9.5" off the water, and even in the darkest areas, my shrooms don't open big like I'd like them to.

I'm going to try raising the par 38's up for now, but eventually I'd like to replace them with something less powerful. 

Thoughts?

You sure you need less light? Lots of my shrooms open fully in high light scenarios once acclimated 

• Like 1
Poison Dart Frog

The Current USA Orbit Marine light is good for a 20 gallon softy tank. It's about $75 and includes a remote and built in timer. Check out Susan Nichols 20L tank on youtube. She has that light and her tank looks amazing.

musicsmaker
On 3/10/2020 at 12:46 PM, GraniteReefer said:

You sure you need less light? Lots of my shrooms open fully in high light scenarios once acclimated 

Pretty sure, but not 100. I also have a cyphastrea that is in the corner, yet stays bleached on top. The undersides are bright fluorescent green.

These cheap par38 bulbs are brighter than you might think. SPS colors up and grows under them like you wouldn't believe. These are directly under the light.

20200311_172341.jpg

musicsmaker
6 minutes ago, mcarroll said:

20L, not G.....I got caught by that on another thread about the same tank.  😉

Can you tell us what the tank's actual dimensions are, @musicsmaker?

The footprint is 30.25" x 12.5", and it is 12.75" tall. 

It's a 20 Long. A 20 gallon tank with the same footprint as a 29 gallon, but shorter. Sorry for the confusion. ☺