Pod Your Reef

Can i feed shrimp from local market?

nano_ryan

5 hours ago, Ratvan said:

I prefer feeding mine fresh oyster, clam or similar but yes as long as it has no additives

How would I prepare the shrimp for the fish to eat?

Just now, nano_ryan said:

How would I prepare the shrimp for the fish to eat?

When still frozen I use a cheese grater (actually a nutmeg grater) to get nice small bits. Add to some RODI to defrost and chuck in the tank, possibly add a bit of Garlic juice if the fish are fussy

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

When still frozen I use a cheese grater (actually a nutmeg grater) to get nice small bits. Add to some RODI to defrost and chuck in the tank, possibly add a bit of Garlic juice if the fish are fussy

I feed pellets day-to-day, but I'll feed the nems and bigger LPS whatever we are going to have for dinner whether it's shrimp, tilapia, cod, swordfish, flounder, salmon, etc.. Before defrosting it, I just slice a little chunk off and mince it - about the same size as the pre-minced garlic you get in the asian market since all my fish are bigger.

The only thing they don't get is halibut and sea bass because my clowns aren't getting $30/pound fish. I'll give them king crab for Christmas if we get it and I'm feeling festive.

• Haha 1

Fresh seafood is fine if it’s small enough for small fish to eat. 

I did try to feed my tanks a little piece of canned tuna once - no fish would touch it. 

• Haha 1
  • 3 weeks later...
Clownfish king
On 3/10/2020 at 12:24 PM, ef4life said:

Fresh seafood is fine if it’s small enough for small fish to eat. 

I did try to feed my tanks a little piece of canned tuna once - no fish would touch it. 

Lol