Enthrol

Struggles of a beginner

Enthrol
53 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Your temp at 79, is perfectly fine.

You're focusing more on certain numbers than stability.

If the kps is set at 35%, that would not be the full gph of the pump. 100% would be.

Overall water volume.

You return pump should be 7- 10x's turnover.

It's really just a guideline.

I have only 1 kps in my 25g plus my return pump and rfg nozzles. Believe me- its plenty of flow, if anything I have had to turn down things or my corals get really pissed.

In my 10g and 20g, I run no powerhead in the tank. Just the return and rfg nozzles.

The flow was perfect and plenty in the 10g and 20g.

Remember- there are many ways to run a reef tank.

I hear you on chasing numbers. There are a couple reasons why I'm being so strict on getting my heaters in the proper range.

First, they're new and I want to know what the variance is in set temp versus actual temp if any. Just to make sure I know what to expect when swapping them in. Side note: there is none, yay!

Second, I'm shooting for 80 because I've noticed my tank's temperature has started going above 80 as the outside temp climbs with summer. In an effort to keep the tank's temp from swinging from 78 to 80.5+ as summer creeps in I'm increasing the tank's temp to keep it more stable. Eventually I'll have to take some steps to cool it as I dont want it going to much past 81. 

I think my wording in my question for kps was confusing. I know that 35% power isnt the full power of the pump. What I meant was if constant flow used the full 1050 gph when set to 100%. I've seen reviews that suggest different modes seem to provide stronger flow when set to the same power percentage, like constant flow is weaker compared to wave when both are set to 35%.

I'm just going to turn the percentage up to 45% and see what happens. This kps is a little overwhelming with the options lol. 

• Like 1

Clown79
2 hours ago, Enthrol said:

I hear you on chasing numbers. There are a couple reasons why I'm being so strict on getting my heaters in the proper range.

First, they're new and I want to know what the variance is in set temp versus actual temp if any. Just to make sure I know what to expect when swapping them in. Side note: there is none, yay!

Second, I'm shooting for 80 because I've noticed my tank's temperature has started going above 80 as the outside temp climbs with summer. In an effort to keep the tank's temp from swinging from 78 to 80.5+ as summer creeps in I'm increasing the tank's temp to keep it more stable. Eventually I'll have to take some steps to cool it as I dont want it going to much past 81. 

I think my wording in my question for kps was confusing. I know that 35% power isnt the full power of the pump. What I meant was if constant flow used the full 1050 gph when set to 100%. I've seen reviews that suggest different modes seem to provide stronger flow when set to the same power percentage, like constant flow is weaker compared to wave when both are set to 35%.

I'm just going to turn the percentage up to 45% and see what happens. This kps is a little overwhelming with the options lol. 

Constant flow with most wavemakers uses the full gph or has the strongest flow whereas with wave it changes because of the action, same with smooth/sway.

The info available with a lot of them is minimal.

• Like 1

DreC80
2 hours ago, Enthrol said:

When you say "algae control" what am I looking for?

Yeah the circ pump in the bucket helped and let the water warm to about where I want it. I'll install them during the next clean up when I'm due to clean all the equipment.

I'm going to try bumping up the power on my kps. I'm noticing that the areas with better flow are growing gha faster and thicker. Not sure if that's just confirmation bias though.

I think he meant getting your algae under control before adding more fish.  You are making great progress.  As tempting as it is, I would hold off on adding more fish until your algae disappears.

• Like 1

mcarroll
1 hour ago, Enthrol said:

When you say "algae control" what am I looking for?

Lack of need for you to go into the tank and hand-pull green algae.  (Which will eventually lead to a need for you to go into the tank and hand-scrape coralline algae.)

This kps is a little overwhelming with the options lol. 

You'll figure it out. 👍

But this does bring up a point:  Most folks would do just as well with a plain AC-powered circulation pump.  Especially when starting out.  

Controllability is nice as well as fun.  But it's also more complicated and not necessary.  

A little Tunze 6015 or 6020 (or any other little AC pump you'd prefer) could work well in this role.  (In addition, while the KPS pump is a good value IMO, it's still as much as double the cost of a "comparable" AC pump.)

Enthrol
57 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Constant flow with most wavemakers uses the full gph or has the strongest flow whereas with wave it changes because of the action, same with smooth/sway.

The info available with a lot of them is minimal.

Gotcha. Thank you. 

That makes a lot more sense than a manufacturer setting 2 different max gph. 

Enthrol
45 minutes ago, DreC80 said:

I think he meant getting your algae under control before adding more fish.  You are making great progress.  As tempting as it is, I would hold off on adding more fish until your algae disappears.

Maybe I'm taking you a little too literally, but I still want some algae right? Otherwise cuc starves?

Enthrol
50 minutes ago, mcarroll said:

Lack of need for you to go into the tank and hand-pull green algae.  (Which will eventually lead to a need for you to go into the tank and hand-scrape coralline algae.)

You'll figure it out. 👍

But this does bring up a point:  Most folks would do just as well with a plain AC-powered circulation pump.  Especially when starting out.  

Controllability is nice as well as fun.  But it's also more complicated and not necessary.  

A little Tunze 6015 or 6020 (or any other little AC pump you'd prefer) could work well in this role.  (In addition, while the KPS pump is a good value IMO, it's still as much as double the cost of a "comparable" AC pump.)

Thank you for the run down on algae control. I know you and Clown are handholding me through this process, and I'm real thankful for both of your attention and guidance.

Yeah I kind of wish I'd stuck with a regular powerhead. Especially since I'm not using any of the features that sets this KPS apart.

On the algae front:

Not seeing a return of the long slimy strands. I do still have some brown algae growth on the left side of the tank that feels and behaves similar to the green growth on the right side. 
Getting frustrated with my snails and swearing off Turbos now. Told my lfs about my red moon falling off the glass and dying, and he pitched in 3 turbos to my food purchase which was about 5 days ago. 1 has been missing since I turned my back on the tank. The other two ate like crazy until yesterday when both of them got lethargic and stopped moving. 
I'm only mentioning my frustration because all the turbos I've purchased and the remaining red moon both did the same thing and never moved again. Ate for 4 days then stopped moving for 4 days, checked then until they started stinking before I removed them. Though the margaritas are still plugging along great.

Now that I'm home more often going to order some ceriths and hope I dont have the same problem.

• Like 2

Clown79
3 hours ago, Enthrol said:

Thank you for the run down on algae control. I know you and Clown are handholding me through this process, and I'm real thankful for both of your attention and guidance.

Yeah I kind of wish I'd stuck with a regular powerhead. Especially since I'm not using any of the features that sets this KPS apart.

On the algae front:

Not seeing a return of the long slimy strands. I do still have some brown algae growth on the left side of the tank that feels and behaves similar to the green growth on the right side. 
Getting frustrated with my snails and swearing off Turbos now. Told my lfs about my red moon falling off the glass and dying, and he pitched in 3 turbos to my food purchase which was about 5 days ago. 1 has been missing since I turned my back on the tank. The other two ate like crazy until yesterday when both of them got lethargic and stopped moving. 
I'm only mentioning my frustration because all the turbos I've purchased and the remaining red moon both did the same thing and never moved again. Ate for 4 days then stopped moving for 4 days, checked then until they started stinking before I removed them. Though the margaritas are still plugging along great.

Now that I'm home more often going to order some ceriths and hope I dont have the same problem.

The kps is pretty cool. I have mine customized through the day with various settings and slows down slightly in the evening.

I also run rfg nozzles.

Enthrol
6 hours ago, Clown79 said:

The kps is pretty cool. I have mine customized through the day with various settings and slows down slightly in the evening.

I also run rfg nozzles.

How are you liking the rfg nozzle? I've considered grabbing one.

Clown79

How are you liking the rfg nozzle? I've considered grabbing one.

I love them. It provides constant random flow

Enthrol

So noticed something new today. Neon green spots growing in the sand. I've seen them in more established reefs occasionally, just curious what causes it.

C58C95B2-637B-4C28-AD30-A2A6036A9A56.jpeg

mcarroll

Call it "Healthy Tank Syndrome".  😉

Just various types of algae and bacteria making use of available nutrients and light.

Enthrol
1 hour ago, mcarroll said:

Call it "Healthy Tank Syndrome".  😉

Just various types of algae and bacteria making use of available nutrients and light.

Well that's a relief. Was getting a little worried I'd run into another problem.

• Like 1

DreC80
On 3/19/2020 at 10:36 PM, Enthrol said:

Maybe I'm taking you a little too literally, but I still want some algae right? Otherwise cuc starves?

I think you'll always have some type of algae available for the cuc.  You just want to get your gha and any other eye sore algae out of the way before increasing your bio load imo.

• Like 1

Enthrol
4 hours ago, DreC80 said:

I think you'll always have some type of algae available for the cuc.  You just want to get your gha and any other eye sore algae out of the way before increasing your bio load imo.

I was taking you too literally. Thank you for the followup. 

• Like 1

Enthrol

3-23 update:

Last parameter check was 3-18, so 5 days ago.

Ph: 8.0

Alk: 7.6 (.3 decrease)

phos: .19 (.2 increase)

nitrate: 1 (finally have a reliable reading)

Calcium: 410 (20 decrease)

magnesium: 1350 (no change)

Algae isnt growing noticeably, not it continues to darken up around the tank.
Havent seen any coralline growth yet other than a few spots I think is coralline. I've read that coralline isn't always naturally occurring unless it hitches in on the live rock. BRS did a review on a couple coralline prodcts meant to help seed it, anyone have any experience with any products like Purple Up?

Started seeing bubbles float off the rocks now. Also seeing tiny dust like stuff in the water. I think they look like bubbles but the wife thinks they're dust. Can't really get a good view on if they are exiting the water column or not so keeping an eye on that.

Edit: Definitely see them existing the water column. 

Snails are still lethargic, except for 1 of my margaritas now. The other found himself trapped between some rocks unable to reach anything to right himself, hoping he recovers.

Noticed a growth on one turbos. I'll include a picture but it almost looks like something is growing in his shell. Every time I grab him to check it out closer he retracts and takes it with him.

image.thumb.jpeg.e09ae55621d2aa42e98d86843306e6db.jpeg

Also noticed what kind of looks like a new aiptasia stalk but each tendril has branches coming off it, and it doesnt retract into a little ball like the aiptasia did. It also doesnt look like it has a little cup in the middle like the aiptasia. Hopefully this picture is clear enough, its tiny so its hard to get a non-pixelated picture. 

image.thumb.jpeg.c12775bc461edb246f4c783b3ab961ba.jpeg

Finally, saw some tube like growths that dont seem to be pineapple sponges. When touching them they're rigid. One's in the middle of the picture and the other is under the rock at the bottom. 

image.thumb.jpeg.6f2aa411c56f16e584f02119b4914020.jpeg

Most of my lfs have shut down temporarily, so trying to ration my water a bit. Doing a water change every 10 days instead of weekly. Can't afford a rodi unit yet unfortunately. 
going to do my water change tomorrow and clean up the algae a bit.

mcarroll

Your photos are...

snail gill

(From: https://www2.clarku.edu/departments/biology/biol201/2006/meichler/Snail Life History.htm)

image.png.10e281729efded7927a50c5e3a1a21f8.png,

feather duster worm

sessile snail (spiroid?  vermitid?)

8 hours ago, Enthrol said:

Doing a water change every 10 days instead of weekly. Can't afford a rodi unit yet unfortunately. 
going to do my water change tomorrow and clean up the algae a bit.

You should be able to stop doing water changes for a while.

E.g. Wait for alkalinity to indicate the need.  

Maybe even consider dosing some baking soda (per your all test results and based on results from the Reef Chemistry Calculator) to keep alkalinity up in between water changes to stretch out your water supply even more?

Enthrol
5 hours ago, mcarroll said:

Your photos are...

snail gill

(From: https://www2.clarku.edu/departments/biology/biol201/2006/meichler/Snail Life History.htm)

image.png.10e281729efded7927a50c5e3a1a21f8.png,

feather duster worm

sessile snail (spiroid?  vermitid?)

You should be able to stop doing water changes for a while.

E.g. Wait for alkalinity to indicate the need.  

Maybe even consider dosing some baking soda (per your all test results and based on results from the Reef Chemistry Calculator) to keep alkalinity up in between water changes to stretch out your water supply even more?

Huh.. I wasnt able to find anything about what that looked like. Though based on the picture that'd make sense for it to be his gill. I'll look into it more, thank you. Need to find out why it's out and the other's aren't.

I thought it looked similar to a feather duster but wasnt sure. I'll keep an eye on it in case I'm wrong.

Thank you for the starting point for looking up these rigid tubes. Couldn't find anything similar when I started looking.

I should be good on water if I do 10 day changes. That'll give me 30 days before I have to start looking for more. Definitely will be keeping up with closures in case this lasts longer than I'm expecting. Really want to get my Alk above 8.0, and this change should get me to 8.4ish. Will keep the baking soda trick in mind though.

• Like 1

Enthrol

Today was a bad tank maintenance day.

Grabbed my Hannah salinity checker this morning to test my newly mixed water. It started cycling power on and off. Replaced the battery after a trip to the store, same thing. Removed the battery and set it aside.

Grabbed my refractometer and wouldnt you know I didnt latch the case properly the last time I used it. So it fell out and cracked the sight glass.

Deciding that a water change just wasn't in the cards today, settled on some manual removal of algae instead. Pricked my finger on a vermitid snail. Broke the shell at least but from what I read it'll just grow back if I dont scrape it off at the base. 

Just gave up then. Going to reap some revenge on that vermitid tomorrow though. 

• Sad 1

mcarroll
3 hours ago, Enthrol said:

Just gave up then. Going to reap some revenge on that vermitid tomorrow though.

Gotta listen to the omens when they talk that loud.  LOL.

You can go back tomorrow fully rested and fully armed....take a screwdriver to the SOB snail that stabbed you.  😉

• Haha 1

Enthrol

Is there an easy way to tell the difference between coralline and cyano?

Since moving my powerhead I'm seeing more growth of maroon colored spots in different places on the rock. I know cyano is more of a slime blanket and coralline should feel more like the rock itself, right? While doing the  algae removal yesterday I felt a couple patches and it wasn't slimy. 

Used a turkey baster to try to blow it off and it didnt change.

• Like 1

DreC80

Coralline is hard.  It encrusts on your rock, glass, pumps, etc.  Cyano is slimy, should blow off with a turkey baster.  The fact that you moved your powerhead leads me to believe it could have created some dead spots in the tank and now cyano is growing.  Cyano enjoys lower flow.  I would increase the flow a little bit if you can and keep your regular maintenance routine going.  Don't over feed and use rodi or some type of zero TDS water.  It should go away if you maintain good husbandry.  

• Like 2

Enthrol
40 minutes ago, DreC80 said:

Coralline is hard.  It encrusts on your rock, glass, pumps, etc.  Cyano is slimy, should blow off with a turkey baster.  The fact that you moved your powerhead leads me to believe it could have created some dead spots in the tank and now cyano is growing.  Cyano enjoys lower flow.  I would increase the flow a little bit if you can and keep your regular maintenance routine going.  Don't over feed and use rodi or some type of zero TDS water.  It should go away if you maintain good husbandry.  

I touched it yesterday during maintenance it is was hard, and no slimy qualities. Also used the turkey baster directly on it and it didn't let loose.

I'll keep an eye on it and see if brushing it with a toothbrush dislodges it during my next water change.

Based off your description though, I'm inclined to believe its Coralline. Also if I'm remembering correctly Billygoat mentioned coralline up taking Alk and Calcium. That might account for my slow drop in those parameters. Haven't heard of coralline being maroon, but I'm sure there's a lot more coming I havent seen before.

• Like 2

DreC80

Sounds like it may be coralline after all.  Just kind of coincidental with the powerhead move.  I believe there are many different colors of coralline, the most common seems to be the pinks and purples...but red/maroon is possible.  Glad it's not cyano.  

• Like 2

Enthrol
1 hour ago, DreC80 said:

Sounds like it may be coralline after all.  Just kind of coincidental with the powerhead move.  I believe there are many different colors of coralline, the most common seems to be the pinks and purples...but red/maroon is possible.  Glad it's not cyano.  

Oh yeah I hear you. I jumped to cyano first too for the same reason.