inTank Media Baskets

live rock

ProFlatlander15

ProFlatlander15

i recently ordered the power quad 96 watt coralife lighting system, and it will be hhere in abouta week. can i get live rock and add it to my tank and will it be OK w/o lighting for that long? the rock i was planning on getting is at a lfs and mostly cured the owner said.

You will be fine especially if you need to go through your cycle. Lights are not a necessary component during the cycle just make sure you have plenty of water movement.

I have seen mixed answers to the lights question. I would not suggest for 12hrs however during my cycle I left the actinic on for 4 hours and 10k pc for 3. Did not use the MH at all. I did this to try to perserve some life on the rock.

"I recently ordered the power quad 96 watt coralife lighting system" (per start of post)

I just bought one of these for my 20 gallon, is this enough for hard corels ? it meets the 4 watts per gallon rule ?

holyherbiness

Dan d, I think we have to get you to throw out that "4 wpg rule". I've never heard of it. 4 wpg of power compact vs 4 wpg of metal halide is VERY DIFFERENT.

I would not try light intensive hard corals with that lighting (such as SPS), but some forms could probably thrive.

I'd keep lights on for about 5 hours a day for the cycle. It's really a gamble between preserve photosynthetic life versus algae boom.

Archived