Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Do I need more?

MrLafo

I currently have 1 current USA light strip, the no red red light version, across my c-vue 26 gallon cobalt tank thing, I have 2 sps a frog spawn and a hammer, and several softies GSP, Zoas, leathers, the like. Should I get another USA light strip? I’m planning on upgrading to the red one should I just leave the non-red one on there? Or would y’all suggest a different lighting all together? 

my first reef tank, been established for almost a year now.

3 hours ago, MrLafo said:

I currently have 1 current USA light strip, the no red red light version, across my c-vue 26 gallon cobalt tank thing, I have 2 sps a frog spawn and a hammer, and several softies GSP, Zoas, leathers, the like. Should I get another USA light strip? I’m planning on upgrading to the red one should I just leave the non-red one on there? Or would y’all suggest a different lighting all together? 

my first reef tank, been established for almost a year now.

Is your light the marine version or freshwater version?

I would suggest to just watch your corals and see how they react. I’m sure they’ll let you know if it’s enough light. Personally I would think more light couldn’t hurt. Essentially your raising the par values in your tank by adding another light, from what I heard you want to do it gradually not all at once. Slowly raising the light intensity over time.

It really depends on the corals you keep.

More light isn't always beneficial as not all corals need high light. Lps and softies are all low- moderate lighting.

Corals also only use a certain amount of light and the rest is wasted 

Awesome thanks! I think what I’ll try is the 2 lights thing and if they don’t like it I’ll just just one for a drag tank or something. Thanks 🙂

On 3/9/2020 at 12:35 PM, MrLafo said:

26 gallon cobalt tank

24*13*14"Tall?

One plain Orbit Marine strip (ie not the IC) should be pretty nice on that tank.  Use the light's built-in feet to get the max. out of it, but that should be plenty.  (ie don't use the 90 degree mounts).

Two will give better coverage, but at only 13" wide, you shouldn't need it.  The extra fixture will crowd up the top of the tank, and you might end up lighting up the filter compartment, which could become an algae problem.

At most I would opt for the IC model, which has tighter lenses.....do that if you MUST use the 90 degree mount for some reason.  Still no real need for two strips with such a narrow tank.