Coral Vue Hydros

xofish

I have two clowns in a tank, no live rock no corals. Only my fish and a few decorations for them. I noticed two tiny white spots on the smaller fish. He's acting normal, not scratching and eating very well. The other fish doesn't seem to be effected. I did a couple water changes recently since I had gone on vacation and my ammonia was high as a result. The other clown fish bullies him a bit as well. Do you think these things are stressing him out? What should I do? Is this even Ick? 

Caplture.PNG

Capture.llNG.PNG

1 hour ago, xofish said:

have two clowns in a tank, no live rock no corals.

1 hour ago, xofish said:

I had gone on vacation and my ammonia was high as a result.

1 hour ago, xofish said:

The other clown fish bullies him a bit as well. Do you think these things are stressing him out?

Yikes!  Yikes! and Yikes!

Feels like we're playing a game of Worst Case Scenario or something.   

Poor fish were set up for failure and you left for vacation.  🤨

Yes, harassment will stress them out just like it stresses you out.  And stress leads to disease.

Ammonia also stresses them out.  (is this the salt issue from the other thread or is this legit?)

A tank without live rock can be a stress.  Why no rock?

I don't think it's ich in your picture, but wouldn't be too surprised if it was.

Can you post a full tank picture?

Can you post all your recent test results for everything you can test?

Can you give us the tank history -- how old, how it's set up, how it's filtered and cleaned, etc?

• Like 1

@mcarroll Because it's a fo tank and I was told I didn't have to buy live rock especially for clown fish. The guy at the pet store said it was fine to add in live rock later if I changed my mind.  

10 hours ago, mcarroll said:

Poor fish were set up for failure and you left for vacation.  🤨

Actually I set them up with someone to come by every day, check their temp, feed them an monitor their levels. The only thing she didnt do was a water change because i was only gone four days. 

Here is a pic of my tank. It's a 20 gallon with a filter and heater some places to hide and an air stone. Because the fish are so tiny right now (they cant even eat pellets.) The pet store guy said it was ok. I plan to upgrade their tank once they get a little bigger.

aa.PNG

• Like 2
6 hours ago, xofish said:

Because it's a fo tank and I was told I didn't have to buy live rock especially for clown fish. The guy at the pet store said it was fine to add in live rock later if I changed my mind.  

Wow - just don't see that much these days.   (First marine fish-only I can personally remember seeing online.)

Definitely increase cover in the tank....try to imagine the best non-reef reef simulation you can, given whatever tank decorating materials you have on hand.   

Remember people make artificial reefs from man-made objects all the time!!

Adding some fake plants would be an easy and cheap first step, and I would at least do that sooner than later...even if you replace them for something "more marine" later on.

Here's @Paul B's reef, not a fish-only but it's totally man-made.....he even DIY'd the rock.  But in this case I'm pointing out the beer cans and wine bottles in the tank.  Use your imagination!

image.jpeg.92641b4e3fe1b37fe037bbb3bac46139.jpegimage.jpeg.f8e2cb1c089f48431d9611471c4fbc99.jpeg

(And BTW, even a little live rock will make it a healthier environment for him.  (You don't need reef lighting to support live rock, BTW.)

1 hour ago, mcarroll said:

Remember people make artificial reefs from man-made objects all the time!!

Adding some fake plants would be an easy and cheap first step, and I would at least do that sooner than later...even if you replace them for something "more marine" later on.

Thanks for the reference pictures. 😊 This is my first marine tank and its def a work in progress. I took some of the pictures to the fish store and they told me its nothing to worry about and probably not ick. They sent me home with some garlic / brine shrimp and some live rock. The live rock had some sponge and what I think are star polyps attached to them.  

4 hours ago, xofish said:

Thanks for the reference pictures. 😊 This is my first marine tank and its def a work in progress. I took some of the pictures to the fish store and they told me its nothing to worry about and probably not ick. They sent me home with some garlic / brine shrimp and some live rock. The live rock had some sponge and what I think are star polyps attached to them.  

You will probably want/need a better light for the coral on the rock. They are photosynthetic. 

We can point you to some inexpensive options if you are on a budget. 

It doesn't look like ich, looks more like fin damage, flukes, or lympho. 

20g is big enough for a pair of clowns even if you don't upgrade. 

1 hour ago, Tamberav said:

You will probably want/need a better light for the coral on the rock. They are photosynthetic. 

😊 yup

1 hour ago, Tamberav said:

It doesn't look like ich, looks more like fin damage, flukes, or lympho. 

it seems to be all gone now. 

• Like 1