Top Shelf Aquatics

Planning a minimal bioload 20L pico, advice wanted.

CC26

Hello!

As the title says, I'm planning to set up a 20L pico reef using the Dennerle 20L nano cube to scratch my reef tank itch while I'm studying abroad. The problem is that come July, I will be going home for the summer break for a month at least, but could be gone for as long as two months. Until then, I will of course be taking care of my tank diligently, but I need to plan ahead and only stock the tank with things that will have the highest chance of surviving that period of neglect. I am investing in an ATO unit, and the tank I am using also comes with a lid, so evaporation will not be an issue. The big thing here is the lack of water changes. I figured my best bet was going softie only - more specifically, pulsing xenia and GSP. Those two can tolerate less than optimal water parameters, and xenia also acts as a nitrate export if I'm not mistaken. I want to keep the bioload as low as possible, so I will not be adding any CUC unless it is absolutely necessary (and provided they're also hardy enough to have a good chance of surviving being neglected). I understand that this is no easy feat, and I am emotionally prepared for the tank to crash during that time and having to start again, but I want to maximise my chances of success. Any advice?