inTank Media Baskets

Quarantine setup question

outdoorworld_70

outdoorworld_70

So my dt got infected with ich 😑I going to let it run fallow for the next 76 days and in the mean time will be setting up at qt tank for future fish. My main question is since there is ich in the water if i add bio sponge to the dt to grow some bacteria will the ich host in it? Or should i just let the qt cycle on its own?

Thanks 

4 hours ago, outdoorworld_70 said:

My main question is since there is ich in the water if i add bio sponge to the dt to grow some bacteria will the ich host in it? Or should i just let the qt cycle on its own?

No need to rush if you have no fish left.   I'd go the natural route and let that tank develop nicely so it's a good home during QT.  (And yes, contamination is a risk, to answer the first part.)

This could be an excuse to get a good book....check out: Marine Aquarium Handbook Beginner to Breeder by Martin A. Moe, Jr. as it covers cycling in really nice detail.

30-40 days your new QT will be ready, but there is a little process to it, so read up.

Looking Back

I see you have a thread for a 29 gallon Lagoon tank that says the tank was started September 2019, but no info on how it was set up or stocked. 

There's another thread in February 2020 (five months later) that indicates the tank was still highly unstable but already had fish and corals in it...pretty much fully stocked.  Again not enough info is there to say what led up to this....but five months is really fast to stock a tank.

Unfortunately there is no magic bullet (eg QT, 76 days, et al) to keep you from having another bad experience if you end up doing the kinds of things that led to problems this time....and there isn't enough info in those threads to tell you much more than that.

All I can tell you with the info presently available is that it wasn't simply bad luck -- an unstable tank that's been stocked too fast can be pretty conducive to disease outbreaks.  It's is one of several factors.

For what it's worth, Moe has a whole chapter just on fish selection in that book.  Another one of the major factors in whether you end up with sick fish.....and not something that you can really "just know" so it's a good read.  Highly recommended.  Get the book used if you have to.  👍

outdoorworld_70

Thanks for the response! I had two clowns for about a month that we’re doing good and then introduced a small flame angel without qt. I know it wasn’t a good idea but got excited and rushed into it causing an ich breakout and killing the fish. Lesson learned! Definitely going to take it slow now and will qt all future fish. 

• Like 1

QT is def. not a bad move, but it's no magic bullet as I was saying.  Still easy to avoid trouble or get into lots of trouble even with a good QT.   The more time you watch them at the store and the more you read about the process, the higher your odds get of bringing home quality fish that are no trouble at all. That's the main goal of course.  👍

Don't share anything between the DT and QT. This means buckets...snake hoses and so on. They would need to be sterilized in between. 

• Like 1