Innovative Marine Aquariums

Debate: Will the Coronavirus outbreak affect the reefing community

Nauticus

11 minutes ago, cosmicbread said:

I hadn't thought about distilled water being scarce for top offs.

Sorry this might be a dumb question, but is it ok to top off with distilled water in a reef tank? I thought only ro water?

Just now, Hannahhhh said:

Sorry this might be a dumb question, but is it ok to top off with distilled water in a reef tank? I thought only ro water?

Yup it’s just as good as RO/DI 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Hannahhhh said:

Distilled is better than RO. (RO not RODI)

4 minutes ago, Sancho said:

This isn’t good 

88213309-DF32-435A-8289-47A687CD9B8F.png

You are going to be a mudd butt!

• Haha 2
  • Wow 1
Just now, Sancho said:

Yup it’s just as good as RO/DI 

So I can just buy regular distilled water from the store for top off??? I had no idea!!

1 minute ago, Hannahhhh said:

Yes, I use distilled for mixing my saltwater and for my top-offs. I get it delivered in 5 gallon jugs from Arrowhead that they take back and reuse. 

• Like 1
cosmicbread
2 minutes ago, Sancho said:

Okay this getting crazy....someone stole all the TP from the work bathrooms today 🤔

My friend's husband reported that people are stealing sanitizer from the dentist office. 😕 

@Hannahhhh totally safe!! kind of a pain to lug around all the time, though. There are ways to refill the containers as well

8 minutes ago, Sancho said:

Okay this getting crazy....someone stole all the TP from the work bathrooms today 🤔

ya people were stealing supplies from the hospital....ykno...where we treat sick ppl.....

also someone got robbed at gun point for their TP...

It's like no1 wiped their ass until today. 

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, Reefkid88 said:

#populationcontrol 

People who invoke social darwinism understand neither evolution, nor society.

(I know you're just kidding, but there are many out there who are not)

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Sancho said:

Same here....the bottled water section of the store is completely empty 

Luckily, there was still tons of bottled water, just not distilled... weird... 

I also grabbed 2 cases of water, frozen pizzas, and a couple lbs of ground beef/turkey to throw right the freezer. Oddly, they were out of chicken, too.

Mostly, people were in the back by the cleaning/TP aisles, and in long lines at the checkout. It was really bizarre. There was NO ONE on the homegoods side of the store and barely anyone in the food aisles. 

• Like 1
squamptonbc

I was in the process of setting up a new tank which I have stopped for now, my employment is precarious as I am in the airline industry and cannot assume I will be employed a month from now, my company is cutting back staff and I have no idea if I will make the cut, the airlines we handle are cutting back capacity, so less flights means less workers needed, the company has tried to avoid doing it, but now we simply don't have enough work, and its too risky to start adding animals to the tank if I can't even guarantee i'll have a job a month from now, and my area doesn't even have a big outbreak yet, 50 or so confirmed out of 4 million people.

• Like 2
  • Sad 5
21 minutes ago, jbb_00 said:

Amazon fresh is out of food 

At least that's what lady JBB told me

Yup...it’s getting nutty 

2 hours ago, Picogoby said:

Your right global warming does not exist! The polar ice caps are not melting the icebergs have just discovered the game peek a boo!😉

Let me know when the world floods from the ice caps melting. Also, have fun with 50% of your income being taxed and don’t worry about American politics

1 minute ago, William said:

If this is where we are at now, I wonder how things will be a week from now.... 

well I am hoping places will restock TP and such and continue to do so and people will calm the fk down with the mass buying. 

• Like 3
46 minutes ago, Jmevox said:

Let me know when the world floods from the ice caps melting. Also, have fun with 50% of your income being taxed and don’t worry about American politics

Considering that taxrate isn't the effective-rate, that it also pays for college, daycare, healthcare, retirement, functional mass-transit and infrastructure, and more - that 20% bump in tax-rate would actually be comparable to the 90% of income or so most Americans spend on day-to-day and long-term expenses.
Which would be the point of collective-purchasing power, it's how we have highways, ems, etc. 

My advice, stay out of politics if you're not willing to at least get your feet-wet with any information past parroted talking-points, and try to remain more punctual and less combatively-conceited. 

-Sincerely a Technocrat who spends ALLOT of time reading policy, studies, and all that boring stuff.
OH, and stay on-topic ^^

It's not likely things will get better, people aren't particularly rational simians, nor do we have much of a grasp of exponential-functions - which doesn't serve us well in situations like this, or even in more mundane daily-activities such as driving where casual-narcissism slows the glut of the population down and puts everyone at risk for time-savings which can be totally-eliminated by a single red-light.

• Like 3

I found this

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.03.09.20033217v1

HCoV-19 (SARS-2) has caused >88,000 reported illnesses with a current case-fatality ratio of ~2%. Here, we investigate the stability of viable HCoV-19 on surfaces and in aerosols in comparison with SARS-CoV-1. Overall, stability is very similar between HCoV-19 and SARS-CoV-1. We found that viable virus could be detected in aerosols up to 3 hours post aerosolization, up to 4 hours on copper, up to 24 hours on cardboard and up to 2-3 days on plastic and stainless steel. HCoV-19 and SARS-CoV-1 exhibited similar half-lives in aerosols, with median estimates around 2.7 hours. Both viruses show relatively long viability on stainless steel and polypropylene compared to copper or cardboard: the median half-life estimate for HCoV-19 is around 13 hours on steel and around 16 hours on polypropylene. Our results indicate that aerosol and fomite transmission of HCoV-19 is plausible, as the virus can remain viable in aerosols for multiple hours and on surfaces up to days.

22 minutes ago, Nauticus said:

I found this

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.03.09.20033217v1

HCoV-19 (SARS-2) has caused >88,000 reported illnesses with a current case-fatality ratio of ~2%. Here, we investigate the stability of viable HCoV-19 on surfaces and in aerosols in comparison with SARS-CoV-1. Overall, stability is very similar between HCoV-19 and SARS-CoV-1. We found that viable virus could be detected in aerosols up to 3 hours post aerosolization, up to 4 hours on copper, up to 24 hours on cardboard and up to 2-3 days on plastic and stainless steel. HCoV-19 and SARS-CoV-1 exhibited similar half-lives in aerosols, with median estimates around 2.7 hours. Both viruses show relatively long viability on stainless steel and polypropylene compared to copper or cardboard: the median half-life estimate for HCoV-19 is around 13 hours on steel and around 16 hours on polypropylene. Our results indicate that aerosol and fomite transmission of HCoV-19 is plausible, as the virus can remain viable in aerosols for multiple hours and on surfaces up to days.

Preliminarily good info to have, there's this old NCBI study which may be a bit more relevant.
Just wash your hands, it's not airborne but, just like most droplet-transmitted diseases, it can stay on surfaces for quite a long time and, contrary to insinuations from certain parties, higher temperature and relative-humidity can actually keep it alive on surfaces for longer.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2863430/
It's worth noting that at-risk communities have a mortality rate a factor of 5 or more higher than 2%, and Italy currently has around 7% rate because, once the number of patients exceeds critical-care capacity, the rate rises exponentially.

Our privatized system is uniquely-unprepared and ill-suited for outbreaks like this as the government has to act indirectly through private-entities and a for-profit system means that, combined with chronic understaffing and a shortage of healthcare professionals, many Urban Hospitals are already running at or near capacity on a day-to-day basis.

That said, just be cautious, panic or fear of it doesn't really help anyone out at all, it just gives you anxiety lol. (as evidenced by TP hoarding) 

I guess to full-circle things back to the OP question, if people don't attend, neither will vendors, enough vendors don't rsvp and the event gets shut-down. 
If there are local-quarantines then things should simply be shut-down period, it's distinctly-possible that large gatherings like these should just be postponed entirely until the extent of Sars -cov -2's endemic population can actually be measured and understood by the medical community.
(This will be extremely difficult as huge gluts of the population will remain asymptomatic carriers and the US has a severe shortage of tests and a great deal of difficulty mounting any kind of quarantine or rapid-response.)

• Like 1
2 hours ago, cosmicbread said:

You're right, in the past 650,000 years there have been multiple cycles of glacier advance and retreat. Climate change has happened before. However, the current trend is accelerated (thanks to us) and is occurring at a rate this planet hasn't seen in millennia  -- and this is a problem.

This this is off topic this is my last post on the subject.

pendulam swings - when it gets to the end of its arc it briefly stops, then accelerates back in the opposite direction, until it reaches the end of its arc and slows to a stop again before beginning to accelerate in the opposite direction again. mankind is claiming “accelerated” climate change based on what? Based on Maybe 100 years of actual research and data gathered and recorded from actual times and events. The rest of what they base it on is theory, basically an educated guess, which is basically speculation. If a scientist can’t absolutely give an answer to how or why dinosaurs went extinct you really expect them to have to absolute 100% true answer or proof that the climate is changing because of anything man has done? That acceleration imo is nothing more than the pendulam swing, it’s accelerating until it reaches the end of its arc, slows down again and goes back in the opposite direction.

if you believe in evolution - the population of the planet will adapt or die and go extinct making room for something else to take over.

if you believe in god and creation - god is not going to let man destroy the earth forever, and as the creator he can fix, change, or do whatever he pleases.

either way there is nothing mankind can do to stop “climate change” 

On 3/10/2020 at 1:21 AM, William said:

I’m currently under quarantine, so yea ... 

will hopefully have my test results back on wends ....

Are you ok?

• Like 2