Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Im having a problem in my tank. I have two clown fish a ceramic hide out for them and some sand. I usually use instant ocean, but recently switched to coralife salt because the pet store by my house ran out. After each water change (about 50, 65 %) the ammonia levels read at 0.25? I tested my water without salt and it was 0, but after I added in the salt it came up at 0.25. What should I do? Should I use another salt mix? And if so how can I know it wont be adding ammonia to my tank? Thank you. 

thats weird it would read .25 ammonia. But the real question, is your tank fully cycled? cause if not, no matter what salt you use it will read that you have ammonia. I would just keep using instant ocean, as its fairly cheap. only like $10 on amazon for a 50 gallon bag

DISQUALIFIED-QQ

IO has been a long time favorite, best-seller, etc. Marketing aside, it's still a pretty good salt. I use the reef crystals since I like the extra calcium. I got a bucket of Reef Crystals for about $45, Prime shipping.

12 hours ago, Diamonds x Pearls said:

IO has been a long time favorite, best-seller, etc. Marketing aside, it's still a pretty good salt. I use the reef crystals since I like the extra calcium. I got a bucket of Reef Crystals for about $45, Prime shipping.

I would only use reef crystals if you need a calcium buffer. Luckily the water straight out of my tap has perfect water peramiters for reef tanks(ph, calcium, ect.) 

Happy fishkeeping

12 hours ago, xofish said:

I have two clown fish a ceramic hide out for them and some sand

You have rock in there right? 

What test kit are you using? API? I’ve read other posts where people would test their water and no matter what would always get .25 ppm ammonia with the API kits even in a fully cycled tank.

maybe cross check it with another brand kit?

13 minutes ago, Nauticus said:

What test kit are you using? API? I’ve read other posts where people would test their water and no matter what would always get .25 ppm ammonia with the API kits even in a fully cycled tank.

maybe cross check it with another brand kit?

Api is the test kit i use. My tank is fully cycled and testing is a solid yellow for ammonia. Make sure to shake each bottle before you start dripping it into your water sample. The test will show the wrong color if you don't. 

@nano_ryan @Nauticus  I use Api, i tested my water without salt which shows 0 for ammonia, (its yellow) its only after I add the salt that it shows a lighter green 0.25 for ammonia.  I just bought a 50 gallon of instant ocean after @nano_ryan's recommendation (thank you). It will be here in two days. Should I do a water change now? or wait till it gets here keeping in mind that water ill be changing with has ammonia at 0.25 in it? Thank you ._.

On 3/6/2020 at 10:28 PM, xofish said:

After each water change (about 50, 65 %) the ammonia levels read at 0.25? I tested my water without salt and it was 0, but after I added in the salt it came up at 0.25. What should I do? Should I use another salt mix

As long as your tank is cycled that's not a problem...it'll get "instantly" eaten by the bio-filter bacteria.

On 3/7/2020 at 2:43 PM, xofish said:

@nano_ryan @Nauticus  I use Api, i tested my water without salt which shows 0 for ammonia, (its yellow) its only after I add the salt that it shows a lighter green 0.25 for ammonia.  I just bought a 50 gallon of instant ocean after @nano_ryan's recommendation (thank you). It will be here in two days. Should I do a water change now? or wait till it gets here keeping in mind that water ill be changing with has ammonia at 0.25 in it? Thank you ._.

How long has your tank been up and cycling for? The mix isnt your problem if your tank isnt cycled. But if it is cycled, and the salt mix is causing the .25 ammonia, then i would wait to get IO and do a 50% water change. Use the IO when you mix it in with your water. Wait a few hours then test for ammonia. If still the exact same shade of green, then the mix isnt the problem. 

Here’s a link to what I mentioned. Just something I read through.

not saying there’s anything wrong with the kit just another theory floating around.

DISQUALIFIED-QQ

I'm actually going to contest this as I've had decent results with the API kit. It may be down to the inconsistency to lot numbers.

Ammonia and the Reef Aquarium - Reefkeeping

Specifically this sub-link:

Sources of Ammonia in Reef Aquaria: Salt Mixes

It has previously been shown that the total NH4-N ranged from 0.55 to 11.9 micromole/kg (0.008 to 0.17 ppm total NH4-N) in an analysis of eight brands of artificial seawater mixes.

These levels of ammonia may be introduced from impurities in calcium chloride and magnesium chloride, where ammonia is a well known impurity resulting from some of the commercial manufacturing processes used (such as the Solvay process, which involves ammonia).

This "could be" a minor worry in new tanks, or any tank where the bio-filter may not be fully functional. 

In a mature reef, this ammonia would be fast food (ie a preferred food source) for everything from bacteria to corals.  Even a fish-only tank with a mature bio-filter would make short work of that ammonia.

Thanks to everyone who was replying. Just to update- I took in some samples of the water to my local pet store and they tested the water for me with their true test. Turns out the water is all good, just my api being funny.