ReefCleaners.org

I am not a contestant unofficially copying 365 challenge retired

debbeach13

17 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

I am still using the stock light. It is off, all or just blue no adjustment. I also like the all. Looks more natural. I take photo's once and awhile with just blue v the coral colors are so  different. Looks fake to me. If I could adjust a little more blue would at least be worth trying.

Yeah i agree. Didnt know it was on off only

Looking really good!

I keep mine in the “all on” phase most of the day myself, figuring that it probably provides more light the corals need since I don’t think the light is very strong... I just use the blues to ramp down at night to allow the fish to settle in for the night for lights out. It’s kind of weird having lights that have to be manually turned on and off... on the weekends when I sleep in the corals look unhappy when I go in to turn it on. How are you managing with yours? 

56 minutes ago, banasophia said:

Looking really good!

I keep mine in the “all on” phase most of the day myself, figuring that it probably provides more light the corals need since I don’t think the light is very strong... I just use the blues to ramp down at night to allow the fish to settle in for the night for lights out. It’s kind of weird having lights that have to be manually turned on and off... on the weekends when I sleep in the corals look unhappy when I go in to turn it on. How are you managing with yours? 

Yes manually no timer. I still don’t have any fish so it depends. Most days the tank gets indirect sun light. Some time between 5 and 7 I turn off scuba Steve and turn the light on all. Maybe every other day I leave the lights on all night. Changing to blue once or twice a week like a night light. My go to bed varies between 11pm to 2am. I really should get a timer to be more consistent. 

• Like 1
23 hours ago, naothan said:

love scuba steve! 

Technically he is a deep sea diver. I used scuba Steve in a post today but I think I may go with Dave. Deepsea Diver Dave. Maybe I should put it to a vote. Scuba Steve is shorter and I like that.

23 hours ago, naothan said:

still think you shoud put a zoa on his head lol  

I have considered this but the tank and contest have a long way to go. So not yet.

5 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

Technically he is a deep sea diver. I used scuba Steve in a post today but I think I may go with Dave. Deepsea Diver Dave. Maybe I should put it to a vote. Scuba Steve is shorter and I like that.

I have considered this but the tank and contest have a long way to go. So not yet.

SCUBA STEVE  from the adam sandler movie scuba steve???such an awesome movie! | Daddy movie, Adam sandler ...

• Haha 1

Changes made today. Glue GSP in a shell to a piece of rubble to better see and track growth. Same with pulsing Xenia. Put blue leg hermit back in tank the one currently in the blue mushroom shell. I hope he doesn’t eat too many snails. Added a small piece of rock with tiny green Zoa’s on it. Checked tank temperature and holding at 78.5.

B5F10E8D-0C15-40F9-9938-D97AA7801593.jpeg

38B28859-4004-4283-8738-7C39B6E3F6C9.jpeg

3243FE0B-424C-46D6-9034-B526995BE705.jpeg

E71E4999-DA2A-4041-8FC3-620460E13F47.jpeg

CA439FE6-2BE4-4062-89B5-AD147CB53015.jpeg

• Like 2

Agreed Xenia can spread. I will be careful. Just did a 2 gallon W/C on this tank. Very little gunk from the bottom of chamber one so I guess enough water is flowing through the floss. Which wasn’t very dirty either. I only rinsed the carbon which is 3 weeks old. I also lightly vacuumed the top of sand. The old water was pretty clean. Of course with no fish this tank doesn’t get fed much. Reef roids once a week the day before water change. A few times a week I Give the RFA a piece of deli shrimp. This tank is only 6 weeks old. I just want to say that so far I do not see any bad effects from using tap water with prime. 

Things that are different with this batch - I used tap water with prime and I lowered the SG close to 1.020. The directions call for salinity 25 ppt. Which I think is about 1.018. I fed this cup to my 20l. As always I will keep for another 24 hrs. That cup will go in the EVO. I could be wrong but I believe the yield might be smaller than previously hatched. Next I will use old tank water from the 20l without adjust the SG this is what I normally do. After that I will use old tank water but adjust the SG. Finally I will mix new DI water with SG ready for tank use and again with it lower. 

image.jpg

5052295E-B57B-4699-B347-746E659D147A.jpeg

CAB6DAE6-3C3E-4F7B-9754-0C76BCF551D7.jpeg

• Like 1

Other things that should be noted about hatching using this hatchery. It does not meet the suggested requirements stated on the egg bottle. Which was supplied with it. It was purchased in May 2019 so  long past 90 days as stated for best results. There is no Aeration and no idea what the temperature is. I will continue using any way because some hatching is better then none. The bottle says to keep refrigerated so I do. None of the batches since refrigeration have ever come close to the very first batch which the bottle was room temperature. These couple of post are more for my documentation then to provide any real scientific results.

image.jpg

7BBDE8C1-A69B-4593-AACA-57405BAC0B63.jpeg

17512813-3264-48E6-90DD-9FCC60581F55.jpeg

• Like 1
  • debbeach13 changed the title to I am not a contestant unofficially copying 365 challenge retired