ReefCleaners.org

I am not a contestant unofficially copying 365 challenge retired

debbeach13

Just a little note. I am still using the stock light and tap water with prime. Except for the mushrooms which I think could survive and multiple under the worst of conditions. I do not have a lot of growth on the other corals. They seem healthy but very slow growth. I am super pleased that the sexy shrimp also appear healthy. I was nervous about the water for them because I never did get the municipal report.  So for now I will continue as is because I do really want to see what happens if any thing until the end of the contest.

• Like 5
growsomething

Hi Miss Deb, had a few questions based on it appearing you live in FL.

Did you find you needed a heater bcs of the small tank size?  I have the air on almost year round, then the heat a few times in the winter.  My 75g fw stays at 78°, and I've never taken the temp in my 10g nuvo, just assumed it is ok.

Also, would you prefer not to use nsw bcs of possible contamination, or you can't lug 5g buckets from the beach?  Our tap water here on the FL West coast is so bad, 200-300 tds, and who knows what is in there!

• Like 1

I do use a heater. My ac is set at 78 so the heater doesn’t come on much but it does sometimes. In my 20L I  use RO or Distilled most of the time except a few times when the store had none. I used tap water up North for years in Chelmsford and Salisbury MA. Just was curious so trying it. Going to the beach to get water from Central Fl is too much work and I don’t own a boat. I have no idea what the tds is in my tanks, or the water I use. I do not recommend this approach to any one.

• Like 2
cheesesteak
5 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

I do not recommend this approach to any one.

We'll you're getting great results, so you must be doing something right! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The only reason I do not attach a coral to Dan is every now and then I have to remove him and use a tooth brush he gets a dirty greenish brown color from constantly digging for treasure. While he is out I can vacuum the sand there. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
TerraIncognita
On 7/29/2020 at 9:25 AM, debbeach13 said:

I do use a heater. My ac is set at 78 so the heater doesn’t come on much but it does sometimes. In my 20L I  use RO or Distilled most of the time except a few times when the store had none. I used tap water up North for years in Chelmsford and Salisbury MA. Just was curious so trying it. Going to the beach to get water from Central Fl is too much work and I don’t own a boat. I have no idea what the tds is in my tanks, or the water I use. I do not recommend this approach to any one.

an RODI DI system for about $400 while it sounds like a beoch, will save you SO much money over the course of just 2 years.

I drink the water as well, I stopped buying water and I've already saved like $75 in 2 months. so.... it's a good investment.

My refrigerator has water and ice in the door with a small replaceable pre filter I drink that. The water for the Evo is right from the tap. The 20L is store water   2 - 3 gallons every week, and every now and then a larger water change maybe 4 or 5 gallons and once a year 10 gallons  plus top off. This is in my monthly budget, I live in a home my youngest son owns and if I was to spend $400 it would probably be on new lights. Even that is on hold because I think I will need a new washing machine soon.

25 minutes ago, TerraIncognita said:

sounds like a beoch,

?

• debbeach13 changed the title to I am not a contestant unofficially copying 365 challenge retired