Cultivated Reef

I am not a contestant unofficially copying 365 challenge retired

debbeach13

My new tank was delivered today.

I have decided to track the cost of this tank. New items only I am not going to price out any equipment or livestock that I already had.

Tank - $109.97

Thermometer - $3.99?

Aqua Forest heater with controller - $29.99

MJ 606 pump - $29.99

Diver Dan - $9.49

Dan's pump - $9.99

Tubing - $4.13

RFA - $17.00

4 Ricordea blue and green - $34.00

Snails Dwarf Cerith, Florida Cerith, Marginella - $2.50

Background ($6.99 x 2 I tore the first one) - $13.98 removed for now when I put the tank on a stand.

YWG - $16.99 Young William 

Sharknose goby - $14.99 died

orange Ricordea - $29.99

3 sexy shrimp -$89.97

---------------------------

Total spent    $416.98

also tracking live stock put in from my 20L, 

Pulsing Xenia, Toadstool, GSP, Orange Polyps, blue Kenya tree, Mushroom covered rock, blue leg hermits (one in a shell with a blue mushroom on it), Bristle worms, Brittle and Asterina Stars,  

DSCN0721.thumb.JPG.3c26e6d0444c393d0613f360c4f18d2a.JPG

• Like 11

Seems to hold water. Filled with tap water 2.5 cups of salt and a cap full of prime. The nano 565 pump so the salt gets mixed up. Probably to strong but maybe not if I aim it at a rock! I have not modified any thing.  Not even sure yet where I am putting the tank yet.

DSCN0722.JPG

DSCN0723.JPG

DSCN0724.JPG

• Like 6

Ok threw the old heater in the trash. After two days of turning it down and watching the temperature go up. I unplugged it and after an hour pulled it out. I found a little bit of water in the tube! No complaints it worked for years. I am thinking of trying the ultra slim 50W from ocean box $29.99 w/external controller sounds to good to be true. Any thoughts.

10 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

Ok threw the old heater in the trash. After two days of turning it down and watching the temperature go up. I unplugged it and after an hour pulled it out. I found a little bit of water in the tube! No complaints it worked for years. I am thinking of trying the ultra slim 50W from ocean box $29.99 w/external controller sounds to good to be true. Any thoughts.

I think @Lula_Mae typically recommended that one. I’d have to go back and look through her posts.

I think it’s a lot like this one that I’ve had book marked for quite some time. 

https://aquaforestaquarium.com/collections/heaters/products/na-thermometer-10mm-celsius

I’m using a Cobalt 10w mini therm and Finnex temp controller in the 2.5. 

When I move to the Lifegard 4.1 I’ve got a 25w one I got off Amazon. That one has Aqua Thermo on it. Generic brand I guess. It was cheap ($13) but it’s similar to the mini therm. Will use the temp controller with it but when I tested it it held the tank steady at 78.  So we’ll see how long it lasts. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks everyone. I went with the Aquaforest. Since the tank was cooling off any way. I emptied the water out of the tank and used for W/C on other tank. I filled in the little slot between the tank and filter area with silicon. I cut up a thin black plastic lid from a Folgers coffee can to cover half of the filter intake so it does more surface skimming. Might also do the slot between the chambers just not sure yet. Nope chickened out may do silicon between chambers. That way I can remove it if I want to. I feel like I want an ATO before I do it. 

DSCN0741.JPG

DSCN0739.JPG

• Like 3

Put a small barnacles cluster in the grow out tank in case I want to use it. Eying some rock that might be used. I should not go on amazon at 2am. Ordered Vivosun 2 pack 210 GPH water pumps. 2.87"x1.65"x2.2" so tiny with adjustable flow. These had pretty good reviews supposed be silent. I shall see. Can always return if they don't do the job. Also a little some thing that might be entertaining.

DSCN0743.JPG

DSCN0738.JPG

Edited by debbeach13
  • Like 6

Just got an update on my new heater it is due to arrive today. That large rock shown above is too big for the EVO. almost touches the glass on both sides. Forget cleaning the glass. The pictures are standing in the kitchen looking into the living room, standing in the living room looking into the kitchen. With and with out a flash. I haven't even tried the light yet. Playing with the rocks in and out of the tank has shown me even if this is the only place that the tank would be viewed from 3 sides it probably is too high to make reaching in there comfortable for me. 

DSCN0768.JPG

DSCN0767.JPG

DSCN0766.JPG

DSCN0765.JPG

DSCN0764.JPG

DSCN0763.JPG

DSCN0761.JPG

DSCN0760.JPG

• Like 5

With out the large rock. Added the smallest blue Kenya tree I have. There is a blue leg hermit that must have been on one of the rocks. The small white rock was in a hang on filter with no light but is cycled. The tiny rock holding up the vertical rock has a mushroom on it and a loose mushroom is floating around. I hate the scape as it is but done screwing around for now. Later tonight or tomorrow after I get the new heater in. I will throw the cover on and test the light. 

DSCN0777.JPG

DSCN0776.JPG

DSCN0775.JPG

DSCN0774.JPG

• Like 5

It’s not bad as is...but if you do start screwing around with the scape again - could you break that big rock in half (where white line is below) and then use either the top of the bottom half - whichever looks best to you? Or would it still be too large?

I really like the combination of those 2 rocks.

F3887304-3E05-4531-A77A-6F14FDE42BC0.jpeg.b7d7261d72a451b3980c88f748bd4000.jpeg 

• Like 2

I know right. I really like that rock. It doesn't have any coral on it. I do not want to ruin it by trying to break it. I know I would totally ruin it. Some day I hope to have it covered with those clove polyp's with green centers and orange. I will take a picture later of the coral I mean. I even cut a couple polyps from the little pc. I have and put on a frag plug for the EVO already. Now I am thinking pull some other rock out of my DT and put this big rock in there. Maybe that rock that used to be covered with Zoa,s and now only has a few. I just don't know. OR put the big rock back in and instead of using a magnet cleaner try one of those scraper on one end sponge on the other end (which I do have) and every now and then pull the rock out or move it to clean. Decisions Decisions.

• Like 1

New heater is in the tank. Will monitor the temperature for a day or two before adding any thing or messing around in the tank. Here are a couple pictures of those clove polyp's that I really like. Some are going in this tank.   

DSCN0784.JPG

DSCN0783.JPG

• Like 6
  • debbeach13 changed the title to I am not a contestant unofficially copying 365 challenge retired