SaltCritters.com

New tank low nitrate

Enthrol

1 hour ago, Enthrol said:

I've considered dropping in more pellets that my fish wont eat in the hopes of raising nitrates, but I'm concerned that doing so will spike my phosphate.

I don't really recommend over-feeding as a corrective action.  For what it's worth.

The nitrogen part will ultimate go up in N2 gas, the P part with end up bound to the rocks or taken up by the algae (or something else) and then rest of the minor and trace nutrients will mostly be left in the water.    All that's really missing (or MOSTLY what's missing) is nitrates and phosphates.....and only phosphates are really super important....and that's because of all the different roles it plays outside of/along with it being an essential nutrient. 

1 hour ago, Enthrol said:

The mexican turbo has carved a path of cleanliness around the top of my rocks,

Hardest working snails in the hobby...perfect as long as they aren't too big for your tank.  

Too bad about the other....could have been random chance.  They usually only drop off the glass when they are pretty weak.  It should be pretty rare for a healthy snail to drop.  (Hermits will get them in a heartbeat in the wild, so there's no room for slack like that....if they drop, it's a sign they are having problems or even on their way out.   (Usually the problem is starvation.  Doubtful in this case....unless he was starved from before you got him.)

12 hours ago, mcarroll said:

Too bad about the other....could have been random chance.  They usually only drop off the glass when they are pretty weak.  It should be pretty rare for a healthy snail to drop.  (Hermits will get them in a heartbeat in the wild, so there's no room for slack like that....if they drop, it's a sign they are having problems or even on their way out.   (Usually the problem is starvation.  Doubtful in this case....unless he was starved from before you got him.)

I'm fairly certain they were starving. The two survivors attacked the algae immediately, compared to the first additions that took a few hours before moving.

SliceGolfer

Do you have a tank build thread? Can you consolidate all your posts into that thread? It's better to have a running diary in one place rather than a dozen individual posts all over. Good luck moving forward.

4 hours ago, SliceGolfer said:

Do you have a tank build thread? Can you consolidate all your posts into that thread? It's better to have a running diary in one place rather than a dozen individual posts all over. Good luck moving forward.

I hadnt considered my tank diary worthy but I can totally combine the information I've been given so far into a single post. At least it would be easier for me to follow.

• Like 2