Top Shelf Aquatics

Soft Coral ID

Peaches

When I had my last tank 5 years back I had a dark brown soft coral which you can see in the background of the shrimp photo and center right of the FTS. The polyps were relatively short. For what would normally be a boring brown coral I really liked this one. 

Mr Whiskers.jpg

20141225_205825_1920x1080.jpg

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

Looks like a flower pot coral? Is that the same as a anthelia? Not good with the scientific names😂. It also could just be a zoa colony maybe. I’ve seen zoas and palys with feeder tentacles that long

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Ratvan said:

Looks a bit like an Anthelia, if i am looking at the right one

I'm not sure about anthelia, it wasn't quite that wavey from memory. It was more the length of GSP. I'll see if I can hunt out a better photo. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Pjanssen said:

Sorry, It's hard to tell from those photos. Maybe some kind of Sinularia?

That's a leather type coral right? I couldn't find any photos on Google that looked like a match 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

Looks like a flower pot coral? Is that the same as a anthelia? Not good with the scientific names😂. It also could just be a zoa colony maybe. I’ve seen zoas and palys with feeder tentacles that long

Flower pot tend to be quite long and wavey like xenia. I've got a photo of it next to some xenia and it's much shorter in comparison. 

Underneath it didn't have the zoa colony nubs. I think everyone's guesses are on the right track but I haven't found a photo that matches yet 

Briareum looks a whole lot like GSP (and is indeed very closely related), except it's brown instead of green. Mine's quite a bit lighter in color than what you've got in the picture, but I know there's a lot of variance in soft corals so it could still be the same thing. Kinda hard to tell from comparing the photos but maybe this helps:

IMG_0895.thumb.JPG.a510cdc44949d9583a2d4b825c683e3c.JPG

• Like 1
7 hours ago, billygoat said:

Briareum looks a whole lot like GSP (and is indeed very closely related), except it's brown instead of green. Mine's quite a bit lighter in color than what you've got in the picture, but I know there's a lot of variance in soft corals so it could still be the same thing. Kinda hard to tell from comparing the photos but maybe this helps:

IMG_0895.thumb.JPG.a510cdc44949d9583a2d4b825c683e3c.JPG

This must be what it was. Just a really dark variety