SaltCritters.com

Replaced A160WE fan with Noctua and it’s not spinning

vqreefer

I bought my A160WE used and the fan was really loud. I emailed Kessil support and I tried all their tips for cleaning it and it was still noisy. I got a replacement fan from Noctua that’s also 12v but .6w instead of .53. I tried pulling the old fan off but the pins snapped so I soldered the new fan wires in place. I plugged it in to test and the fan doesn’t spin. Should this be working or do I need some sort of adapter or could it be a problem with how I set it up? I’ve seen a couple of threads replacing the fans on bigger lights with no issues. One was a direct plug and play and another was replacing a 48w light and had to get a fan to usb to power the 12v fan. 

What did you figure out was keeping it from spinning before?

I take it Kessil doesn't offer repair parts or you'd have gotten something from them....

• 11 months later...

Almost a year later and no issues with the light or fan. Since I had bought the light secondhand, there wasn't really any option for warranty replacement or repair but if anyone ever needs to replace the fan in their light and it matches specs, Noctua makes great PC fans that I now know work great as replacements in Kessils.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
On 3/4/2020 at 10:07 PM, vqreefer said:

I bought my A160WE used and the fan was really loud. I emailed Kessil support and I tried all their tips for cleaning it and it was still noisy. I got a replacement fan from Noctua that’s also 12v but .6w instead of .53. I tried pulling the old fan off but the pins snapped so I soldered the new fan wires in place. I plugged it in to test and the fan doesn’t spin. Should this be working or do I need some sort of adapter or could it be a problem with how I set it up? I’ve seen a couple of threads replacing the fans on bigger lights with no issues. One was a direct plug and play and another was replacing a 48w light and had to get a fan to usb to power the 12v fan. 

Do yu have a website for the fan or a model number for it please 

On 3/25/2021 at 6:43 PM, A.b Reefer said:

Do yu have a website for the fan or a model number for it please 

Noctua NF-A4x20 FLX is the one I got 

• 6 months later...

I have a similar issue, and ordered the fan you listed above.  How did you get apart the fan from the two black rods?  I can't tell if there are screws somewhere I'm missing or if I just pull it apart.