Top Shelf Aquatics

Red Worm Identification

SLA

Hello, 

I'm wondering if anyone can confirm what types of worms these are? I've been searching all over and I keep getting sent all over the place. I thought I had identified them previously as a harmless worm, but my interns apparently have been getting stung by them (and they just decided to tell me months after the fact). 

red worm 2.JPG

red worm .JPG

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, SLA said:

Hello, 

I'm wondering if anyone can confirm what types of worms these are? I've been searching all over and I keep getting sent all over the place. I thought I had identified them previously as a harmless worm, but my interns apparently have been getting stung by them (and they just decided to tell me months after the fact). 

red worm 2.JPG

red worm .JPG

Looks like a spaghetti worm.......Some types of them can irritate corals. 

• Like 1

I originally identified it as that, but then I saw some videos of parasitic Camallanus worms and didn't know if it was them. I've never seen my fish expelling worms though. I have a flounder in the tank and there are so many of these in the sand so I'm concerned they will harm it. I'm researching various trapping methods so I can get rid of them. 

23 hours ago, WV Reefer said:

Looks like a spaghetti worm.......Some types of them can irritate corals. 

+1. Not sure what type of setup you have but if you can house a wrasse fish, certain types of wrasses like Halichoeres will help in controlling the worms. I know arrow crabs are great in controlling bristle worms but not sure if it will go for the spaghetti & if you try an arrow crab, make sure you don’t have any fish that might eat the crab.

• Like 1
On 3/3/2020 at 12:38 PM, SLA said:

I originally identified it as that, but then I saw some videos of parasitic Camallanus worms and didn't know if it was them. I've never seen my fish expelling worms though. I have a flounder in the tank and there are so many of these in the sand so I'm concerned they will harm it. I'm researching various trapping methods so I can get rid of them. 

Camallanus worms are mostly freshwater. Chances are this is a hair/spaghetti worm, looks just like the ones I have. 

• Like 1
On 3/4/2020 at 1:41 PM, Tamberav said:

Camallanus worms are mostly freshwater. Chances are this is a hair/spaghetti worm, looks just like the ones I have. 

Good to know about the Camallanus worms. Thank you! 

On 3/4/2020 at 12:44 PM, resortez said:

+1. Not sure what type of setup you have but if you can house a wrasse fish, certain types of wrasses like Halichoeres will help in controlling the worms. I know arrow crabs are great in controlling bristle worms but not sure if it will go for the spaghetti & if you try an arrow crab, make sure you don’t have any fish that might eat the crab.

I have Mojarra in there and a flounder currently. I had a stone crab and arrow crab, but I think stone crab ate the arrow. I released the stone because it was getting big and picking on everyone. I have a new arrow crab in quarantine that I plan on adding next week. Hopefully those worms will keep it fat and happy.