IHaveADegreeInMarineBioBut

IHaveA 10 Gallon Reef

Bobc

Total beginner looking to start with a 10 gallon nano with no sump. This post has been an inspiration!

On 7/28/2020 at 6:23 AM, Bobc said:

Total beginner looking to start with a 10 gallon nano with no sump. This post has been an inspiration!

Ah this means so much ❤️ it's definitely doable! 

So after years of loving saltwater, I finally got the freshwater bug again. I am still loving my reef, but it's been giving me a few headaches recently. I think I'm going to give it some time to chill out and grow (catch me next week when I buy the hammer I've been wanting to). Petco is having its gallon sale, so I got this 2.5 gallon set up for under $35. I am using the lights that I had from the hood that came with my reef tank. No filter, no heater, just lights and tap water. Hoping to grow some plants and maybe get some shrimp :-). 

Here it is featuring some ammonia and decaying algae wafer. 

IMG_5883.thumb.JPG.6b374a228193c2f64aeb2434d1fa0d68.JPG

Diamonds x Pearls

shrimp tanks can be so underrated. i farmed orange sakuras when they first came out. this was about 5 years ago.

18 minutes ago, Diamonds x Pearls said:

shrimp tanks can be so underrated. i farmed orange sakuras when they first came out. this was about 5 years ago.

I've always wanted a shrimp tank to be honest, but i never read much into it. but now i understand how these systems are able to sustain themselves without much of anything at all. 

I think someone injured the pink diamond and it'd been closed for a week or two and I found an asterina eating it :-(. There's still some pieces left but

• Sad 1

Everything is going great in the 10 gallon. Really struggling with this freshwater though hahahaha

I picked up a Kenya tree because the birdsnest is almost entirely dead :-\. New heads on zoas though. Pink diamond hasn't come back. Still looking for a hammer. 

IMG_6056.thumb.JPG.2b32bc0f7cb565ad6f4e45962e57531a.JPGIMG_6058.thumb.JPG.b873f2051285d2e1874c8f17aa5fcf61.JPGIMG_6057.thumb.JPG.e78c1a1c5ec9317d475b997ce7411be9.JPG

• Like 1

Diamonds x Pearls

Lately any Euphyllia has been fetching rather high prices. At the Petco I work at, my hammers went from $50 to $80 now, ORA origin. The frags are about 3" heads or so.

On 9/24/2020 at 5:22 PM, Diamonds x Pearls said:

Lately any Euphyllia has been fetching rather high prices. At the Petco I work at, my hammers went from $50 to $80 now, ORA origin. The frags are about 3" heads or so.

I know!! It's crazy. I've been trying to get a good deal since the beginning of the year. 

• Like 1

Bella Smith

Your tank is nice! Keep going. Ive set up a new Fluval 5-gallon Evo V in my living room and it looks great. Luckily, I have no problem with my fish and my coral, everything works smoothly. My kids love watching it, especially at night.  

• Like 1

Getting ready for baby???

E1E47E8E-19D1-4112-8BE0-AEE042F450A8.jpeg

• Like 2

Finally scored a hammer for under $50 (still acclimating so not completely out). It was a BOGO for $40 so I also got some random zoas. Kind of having some issues with algae, but I think I might just be a little heavy handed with the reef roids. 
Also saw something really strange last night.. I had to add the corals late, so the lights had been off a few hours. But I saw my biggest hermit crab out of its shell without another shell in sight. Despite the algae, everything else, corals, inverts, fish, are all plump and doing well. So I don't really know what was going on there. But hopefully it found another home. 

debbeach13

That sounds like a great deal on the coral.

8 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

That sounds like a great deal on the coral.

Yeah! It looks pretty freshly fragged, but that's ok. But I would've totally been ok to pay $40 for just the hammer!

• Like 1

They're out a bit more today 🙂

hammer on right

IMG_6125.thumb.JPG.0a1c2b68d4a67c14f4afa1d2455347aa.JPG

IMG_6126.thumb.JPG.e92ed156844c30530357ed9b189b11ea.JPG

zoas on left