KMitch

KMitch's IM Peninsula 20 ZeoVit Build

KMitch
4 hours ago, William said:

I’m not sure if I would have done the Saline bath; at that salinity you will have killed almost all life on the rock (sponge, coral, copepod/amphipod, micro/macro fauna) 

seems like somewhat of a waste to use fresh live rock then kill everything on it. 

Actually the coralline and sponges seems to have all done well. The bath is very short - less than a minutes. 

Besides, the rock is out of water for 10 hours during shipping, so there’s going to be some die off. I am skeptical that a saline bath for a minute had any more of a negative effect than shipping did. 

William
1 hour ago, KMitch said:

Actually the coralline and sponges seems to have all done well. The bath is very short - less than a minutes. 

Besides, the rock is out of water for 10 hours during shipping, so there’s going to be some die off. I am skeptical that a saline bath for a minute had any more of a negative effect than shipping did. 

I hope it works out for you, but that’s A extremely hypertonic bath, 1.030 I could understand. But everyone charts their own path in this hobby. 

• Like 1

KMitch
47 minutes ago, William said:

I hope it works out for you, but that’s A extremely hypertonic bath, 1.030 I could understand. But everyone charts their own path in this hobby. 

1.040 is what they recommended, and they have cured more rock than me!

KMitch

Water parameters are coming along.... saw the expected spike in Nitrites and hopefully am nearing the end of this cycle. Also getting some brown diatoms on the rock and sand, which isn't unexpected with ZeoVit. Going to back off the dosing for a few days until that clears, per the instructions in the Zeo guide. 

LFS got a pair of oscellaris clowns in stock that look great.... might be able to pick them up in a day or two if everything stays stable.

KMitch

Bad news: My Fiancee discovered N-R and has read this thread. Now I have to behave myself 🤐. Thankfully she's enjoying this tank, so I have a short leash.

Good news: I added two fish to the tank yesterday! World, please meet Vinny and Mona - a pair of Sea & Reef DaVinci Oscellaris clownfish. There are three grades of these DaVinci clowns, and this is the "extreme" grading, meaning they have 3 fused stripes on at least one side of the body and the full "gladiator" helmet. I don't particularly care about the naming conventions of all the boutique clownfish, but I do want some nice looking clowns, and that's what I've got here! I was very attracted to how both have really distinctive markings, which will make it possible to differentiate the two fish. The names come from two of DaVinci's most famous works -- the Mona Lisa and Vitruvian Man. Unfortunately, they are too juvenile to sex out yet, so which one is Vinny and which is Mona is going to be a bit of a mystery for a little while.

I also added the start of my clean up crew and two mangroves into the back middle chamber. Everyone ate some pellets happily this morning, so things are settling in well. I'll give it some time before I add any more fish as adding two fish will change the biology of the tank, and I want to give the bacteria some time to catch back up and for things to equalize again. But the plan is to add a Yasha goby/shrimp pair next.

49704404086_95dc287bb4_k.jpg

49703873913_29ccd9e5b0_k.jpg

I love this little black dot in on the back right side of this clown... is it Vinny or Mona? Unknown!

49703873873_170ec2a0ea_k.jpg

Snorkel-eye view

49704404106_8ca2d43824_k.jpg

Current FTS, 27 March 2020

• Like 2

MasterMind9

Rock scape looks pretty nice.  

KMitch

Added some more of the clean-up crew today: a few trochus snails, a few hermits, and a conch. I have a particular affinity for the conchs and the way they use their claw / snorkel thing to move along.... never mind those little eyes that always seem to be checking you out. 

Still have some brown algae from the cycle, but it's not uncommon to get during the initial ZeoVit cycle and everyone says it goes away. Fingers crossed it happens soon.

On an exciting front, I also grabbed a few frags! Two zoa frags (I don't know the names, but we could make up something fun and absurd) and a purple hairy mushroom. The hope being that the mushroom get big enough / looks fluffy enough to entice the clowns to host in it. fingerscrossed I just glued everything down so it is closed up and pi$$ed off at the moment, but photos will come!

Finally, I decided to re-arrange how I have the rear filter chambers setup with the hopes of installing a skimmer. I'm going to try and run the eShops Nano skimmer, which I've read great things about. My decision to go for a skimmer is three fold: 1) The ZeoVit system technically requires a skimmer, and after careful consideration, I decided it was best to do as the German scientists instruct and not try to out smart them; 2) Based on my past tanks that have run skimmers, I believe a skimmer is an incredibly valuable tool to remove organics and keep a clean tank; and 3) there's something incredibly satisfying and gratifying about emptying a skimmer cup that is full of a thick pasty sludge and knowing that poo isn't in the tank anymore.

Skimmer should arrive this week, so we'll get that installed and go from there.

In the mean time -- debating which fish to add next. Current contenders are a Yasha goby + shrimp or a pink stripped wrasse.

KMitch

Did a 25% water change today and things are looking good. Still have a little bit of the brown diatom-like algae, so I took a break from dosing ZeoVit for a few days and (combined with the water change) I'm hoping that'll help clear things up for good.

The new skimmer will hopefully arrive tomorrow or Wednesday, and I'm looking forward to getting that installed and seeing the gratifying brown sludge start to get pulled out of the tank.

I also managed to score a win today... I've been trying to rent one of the @BulkReefSupply PAR meters so I can correctly calibrate the A360X light, but every time I try to snag one, they are out of stock. Today was my lucky day -- I got the in stock notification for a PAR meter while I was sitting at my computer and able to act. So in the next few days I'll have the meter arrive and I can do some testing on the proper light settings. I'll share my results here, but the hope is to identify output settings for the light at 6" and 8" off the water to support SPS, LPS, and softy growth. It's too easy these days to use a PAR meter to properly "set and forget" the light up correctly for corals, and I'm looking forward to doing so. If anyone has recommendations for how to do the measurements, I'm all ears.

Here's a few pics. I moved one of the rocks around slightly in the aquascape.

49722416627_3fb59b7708_k.jpg

New Zoa frag. Not sure what they are called, but I love the blue/purple center with the lime green fringes

49722416732_debe764056_k.jpg

49722416817_6b28d16ff0_k.jpg

31 March 2020 Full Tank Shot

DreC80

Looking good.  I broke down and bought a PAR meter about a year ago.  Definitely better than trying to guess.

KMitch
42 minutes ago, DreC80 said:

Looking good.  I broke down and bought a PAR meter about a year ago.  Definitely better than trying to guess.

Agree. Where in Virginia are you? 

DreC80

I'm in the Hampton Roads area.