ReefCleaners.org

KMitch's Double the Trouble Tanks -- Mixed Reef & Clown Harem — Problem Riddled and Going in Reverse

KMitch

Nice tank!!  I have a question for you about zeovit...  I was reading the label for for ZeoStart and it says 2ml per 250 galons! That is .008 mls per gallon.  In my case I have a 10 gallon tank which means .08 ml...  I mean that is like a drop if that..  Is that correct??  one dose that little in nano tanks??

On 4/24/2020 at 10:51 PM, ramesis said:

Nice tank!!  I have a question for you about zeovit...  I was reading the label for for ZeoStart and it says 2ml per 250 galons! That is .008 mls per gallon.  In my case I have a 10 gallon tank which means .08 ml...  I mean that is like a drop if that..  Is that correct??  one dose that little in nano tanks??

Sorry for the late reply, I was out off-roading in my Jeep this weekend to social distance!

Yes, the dose for ZeoStart is almost nothing. They say to do it 2x a day, but because the dose is so small, I only do it once and dose the "full amount" in one sitting. In my case, for 20 gallons, it's .15ml a day that I put in.... so yeah, almost nothing.

In other news.... hadn't seen any aptasia in the tank, but today I look and BAM -- a big ugly looking me in the face. Literally came out of no where. It will die.

What do you use to kill aptasia?  I didn't have great luck with aptasia x, so I have been using Frank's Tanks F Aptasia killer with really good results.

4 hours ago, KMitch said:

Sorry for the late reply, I was out off-roading in my Jeep this weekend to social distance!

Yes, the dose for ZeoStart is almost nothing. They say to do it 2x a day, but because the dose is so small, I only do it once and dose the "full amount" in one sitting. In my case, for 20 gallons, it's .15ml a day that I put in.... so yeah, almost nothing.

In other news.... hadn't seen any aptasia in the tank, but today I look and BAM -- a big ugly looking me in the face. Literally came out of no where. It will die.

Hope you had an amazing weekend!!   Also, Thank you for the information...   Thank you for confirming my calculations.  I am going to try the zeovit on my 10 and see how it goes.  

OMG KILL IT WITH FIRE!!!!!! 🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥

• Like 1
7 hours ago, DreC80 said:

What do you use to kill aptasia?  I didn't have great luck with aptasia x, so I have been using Frank's Tanks F Aptasia killer with really good results.

I have had success with "DIY" solutions. My favorite is to use a small needle to inject it with a super super super saline solution. The salt dries it up and kills it from the inside.

3 hours ago, ramesis said:

Hope you had an amazing weekend!!   Also, Thank you for the information...   Thank you for confirming my calculations.  I am going to try the zeovit on my 10 and see how it goes.  

Nice! Let me know how it goes. 

3 hours ago, ramesis said:

Just to warn you,I tried Zeo products in a nano and it well didn't turn out well. Lost a few hundred worth of Acro's within days. 

2 hours ago, Reefkid88 said:

Just to warn you,I tried Zeo products in a nano and it well didn't turn out well. Lost a few hundred worth of Acro's within days. 

Oh no!!  What do you think went wrong?  Dosing amount issues?

Ramesis

6 hours ago, ramesis said:

Oh no!!  What do you think went wrong?  Dosing amount issues?

Ramesis

I would assume. The smallest tank they recommend is 20 or 25. Everything is so concentrated its difficult to dilute for a small system. I have never seen someone run zeo in a tank smaller than 20g and be successful. 

I would suggest some of the additives but definitely not full zeo. 

9 hours ago, Reefkid88 said:

I would assume. The smallest tank they recommend is 20 or 25. Everything is so concentrated its difficult to dilute for a small system. I have never seen someone run zeo in a tank smaller than 20g and be successful. 

I would suggest some of the additives but definitely not full zeo. 

I think it also helps if the tank is started with Zeo versus trying to add it after the tank has matured. But fundamentally, if you can get the doses right, it shouldn’t matter how small the tank is. 

Did a WC today and tested parameters. My alk consumption has picked up significantly in the past week, which I take as a good sign that the corals are using it and hopefully growing. Problem is, I spend so much time staring at the tank these days that I can’t see the growth!

My phosphates had been really high (0.3ppm) at one point, but I have gradually been able to pull them down. Now at 0.13 ppm. Still would like to see them lower, but we are headed the right direction. 

• Like 1

It's been about two weeks since I posted an update.... this whole COVID situation means I'm staring at my tank every day and it's nice to finally be able to pick out growth and maturity in the system. I'm super pleased with how the ZeoVit system has performed so far... I haven't had any algae issues after that initial cycle period, and the growth and color of everything has been great. The issue I had with the high phosphates has also resolved, as they are now well under 0.08ppm, and I feed pretty heavy.

The growth and color you get from Zeo is really pretty impressive, especially considering how young this tank is by all standards. The Texas green slimer has grown a ton in only a few weeks, and has almost fully encrusted over the base. My zoanthids also have noticeable improvement in color from when I got them, and the rainbow acan has taken on more orange tones. 

49892599351_27adbf4e04_k.jpg

49892083488_4f6ee10e16_k.jpg

Neon torch

49892911137_bc6e64a307_k.jpg

Texas green slimer

49892083408_a62110ee8c_k.jpg

Baby Blue Bowerbaki

49892083368_fee35776cc_k.jpg

Still not sure what these zoas are, but they have colored up tremendously over the past 6 weeks. When I got them the yellow line in the center was barely discernible... now it's super prominent. 

• Like 3
  • Wow 1
SliceGolfer
17 minutes ago, KMitch said:

Still not sure what these zoas are, but they have colored up tremendously over the past 6 weeks. When I got them the yellow line in the center was barely discernible... now it's super prominent. 

Purple Hornet Zoas

• Like 2

Nice read, following along as I currently have the same tank.

I want to run a skimmer also but I can't find a space to put my heater other than the middle chamber, i have a 50watt neo therm but it doesnt keep the water temp steady. So I'm currently using a slightly larger heater that wont fit in the return pump section.

• 2 weeks later...

Tanks looking amazing @KMitch! I just got the same tank and I was thinking of trying out ZEOvit too! I'll probably just start with the base starter pack and get a feel for it before I invest into the other parts of the system. I saw they had a "Nano Power Pack" and it had 4x10mls bottles of the other additives but its out of stock everywhere.. 

How do you feel about it so far and would you recommend it for our nano tanks? I know the dosing is basically going to be even less of a drop for a 20gal so what do you use to get the right measurements? 

I wouldn't recommend the nano power pack from ZeoVit. That's not really the "Zeo System" per say -- it's a bunch of additives, many of which are better targeted for a more established system,

To get the right measurements, I got a few small syringes from BRS that measure between 0-1ml. Then I just went through and did all the math at once and wrote it down. I also use an aquarium tracking app that helps remind me what measurements on what days.

I personally have been very happy with Zeo. It's kept all my parameters in check and I haven't had as much of the algae and other ugliness associated with a new tank. 

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

How are you liking your light? Seems like there is some spill on the sides to a certain extent. Anything you would re-consider going back?

I've got a 20 peninsula cycling and this option seems like one of the better ones for the mixed reef I'm thinking about and you having tested the par already makes things a lot easier.

• 1 month later...

Oh goodness... I am way behind! I am sorry I failed to stay on top of the blog again. Tisk tisk. Let's see where we are.....

A few big changes have happened since we last talked:

1. The orchid dotty back was returned to the LFS. He was constantly bullying my two Yasha gobies and wounded one of them. Thankfully the goby recovered, but that was going to be the end of his residency. I used the water bottle fish trap hack to catch him in about 2 hours.
  2. I have fought, and hopefully won, the battle against an outbreak of flatworms. I'm not sure when they were introduced to the system, but I used a little DIY airline tube syphon to pull out a few hundred of them and then crushed the remainder with some Flatworm Exit. I am staying on top of it just in case any more decide to come back.
  3. I am going to get a 6 line wrasse. I found a cute little one in QT at the LFS, and since it's a little guy, hopefully he won't be as much of a bully. I want an active swimmer of a fish to round out the tank now that the dotty back is out, and they fit the bill. Plus, if I'm lucky, he'll help with any leftovers from #2.
  4. I've added some new livestock. Most notable is a clam, but also a few little SPS frags. 
  5. Everything is growing like a weed. Seriously, the growth on my green Texas Slimer in the past 60 days is off the charts. I am dosing almost 20ml of Alk weekly to keep up with the consumption. I attribute some of this also to the ZeoVit system. I've continued to have no issues with algae, etc, and the tank is acting like it's as mature as a 2-3 year old system.

50134870687_464e73f583_k.jpg

June 15, 2020 Full Tank Shot

50134090673_f0a277f47d_k.jpg

July 20, 2020 Full Tank Shot

50134639591_8252445e43_k.jpg

50134090603_aa9770c620_k.jpg

Side Views

50134090768_a3613060f9_k.jpg

Flatworms syphoned out of the tank

50134090513_c312d27d0d_k.jpg

50134870737_b86917952a_k.jpg

50134639676_85dd7c262d_k.jpg

50134870852_ecef4b2d62_k.jpg

50134870867_071c1a3e32_k.jpg

• Like 3
teamschreiba

Looks great! I don’t know if your torch was just swirling in the June picture but it looks like the growth really took off! 

22 hours ago, teamschreiba said:

Looks great! I don’t know if your torch was just swirling in the June picture but it looks like the growth really took off! 

Oh yeah, that neon green torch has exploded with growth. I cannot believe how far it’s come in only a few months. Same with things like the Favia and Green Slimer - just scrolling up to look at the pics from May and it’s impressive the growth all around. That’s pretty impressive for a new tank, and I give all credit to ZeoVit system. 

Time for another (overdue) update.... I haven't added much to the tank recently; just maintenance and keeping up with the ZeoVit dosing. I've really seen a tremendous amount of growth in the past month, with some of my SPS frags turning into baby colonies. The Torch coral is getting so big that it's going to need to get moved around soon, as it's tentacles can almost touch the acans on the next rock over. 

I'm certainly done adding corals right now -- it's just a matter of feeding the tank, maintaining it, and enjoying it. 

I still can't believe how well the ZeoVit system has done helping me setup this tank; I've had none of the usual startup issues with algae, etc that I normally did. The tank acts like it's a super mature multi-year system, despite being only 6 months old. Absolutely insane!

50319325508_3d13cbbf87_k.jpg

50320000496_793cbdd7a1_k.jpg

• Like 4
  • Wow 2

Snapped a few more pics today after a good cleaning of the tank. After almost 6 months of use, the skimmer had finally clogged with enough crud that it needed a good cleaning. It's running much quieter and more efficient now after a vinegar bath. Without question, this eShoppes skimmer is the best nano skimmer I've ever owned!

50335228221_a64068a0c6_b.jpg

So much growth on this Favia since I got it!

50335385677_fd9aaac857_k.jpg

My orange rics looking extra nuclear and bright

50335385722_1753d627d8_k.jpg

Happy as a clam they say!

50334538528_b7e64790ac_k.jpg

Side tank shot

• Like 4
  • Wow 1

I've gotten a few more PMs with questions about the ZeoVit dosing I'm doing -- so sharing the answer here for the wider group. 

This is my ZeoVit dosing schedule:

• ZeoStart - 0.15ml / day
  • ZeoBak - 1 drop / every three days
  • ZeoFood - 2 drops / every other day **
  • Amino Acids - 1 drop / day
  • Sponge Power - 1 drop / day
  • Coral Snow - 1ml / every other day
  • Iodine Complex - 1 drop / every other day
  • Coral Vitalizer - 1 drop / every other day
  • Pohl's Xtra Special - 0.5ml / every other day

** ZeoFood "Bonus Week" - One week a month, I dose 6 drops of ZeoFood a day and stop dosing ZeoStart during that time

I'd hardly say any of this is "required" - the top three (ZeoStart, ZeoBak and ZeoFood) are the core elements of a ZeoVit system (along with the rock media), but the rest are supplements to help feed corals and grow them. Some of them also help with biological filtration - like Coral Snow. That is an almost clay-like chemical that is dosed to the tank, temporarily turning the water into a murky milk color. But it helps to bind the junk in the water a little better and the protein skimmer can then pull it out. It also apparently tastes delicious to the coral, because the feeding response when I add it is almost unreal. 

50345451598_39770c2684_k.jpg

Milk tank after dosing Coral Snow. The murkiness wears off in about an hour, and the skimmer pulls some extra thick sludge out during that time. 

50346306132_f3c9cbd78d_h.jpg

Apparently it also contains coral drugs, because the feeding response is unreal

50345451548_a690339009_k.jpg

Yum Yum coral snow!

The rest of my dosing regiment comprises of adding BRS 2 part for alk/calcium on a weekly basis. I also do bi-weekly water changes and replace the carbon monthly.

I know that putting some drops into the tank every day sounds like a lot of work, but it's really not. I enjoy spending a few mins every day feeding the fish and admiring the view in the tank. The extra 20 seconds to put some drops in is just an excuse to look at the tank! 

To me, the benefits of ZeoVit sell themselves. The growth I've had in this tank is sick. The stability is rare for a tank this young. I have had no algae issues to speak of. My corals are more colorful and vibrant than ever before, and I am a believer! 

• Like 3