ReefCleaners.org

Dawn's natural nutrient tank system!

vlangel

On 3/24/2021 at 5:15 PM, Subsea said:

Flow is always good.  If flow flattens out the tree, not so much.

I want to revisit a conversation we had about dosing nitrogen to reduce phosphate, Particularly with the use of ChaetoGrow which has neither nitrogen or phosphate. 

Hhm, I don't remember that conversation about CheatoGrow....in fact I am not sure that I have ever heard of or used CheatoGrow in my system.  I did use Seachem Flourish, is that what you are referring to?  I only used it once because I suspect that it is designed to use in freshwater planted tanks.

My seagrass is hanging in there but it's not exactly flourishing.  I do not know if the new light fixture has shocked it somewhat.  I am hoping that is the problem and when it acclimates it will begin to really establish itself.

ChaetoGrow was not part of that conversation back then but both relate to consuming in tank phosphate by providing all other elements.  Many seaweed combine N:P  in a ratio of 30:1   So by removing the limiting nutrient, whatever it is, seaweed biomass is allowed to grow.  I added Seachem Floride substrate in all refugiums.  As I had previously lab analysis of Gracilaria Parvispora I tried juggling cocktail to dose tanks with.  Brightwell Aquatics did it in their lab:

Dawn,

considering your high nutrient tank, I see little need for product.  I use it because my sandbed is loaded with phosphate due to insufficient gravel vac maintenance.  It is also used in ULNS to replace nutrients limited food input.

https://www.marinedepot.com/chaeto-algae-refugium-fertilizer-chaetogro-brightwell-aquatics-500ml?utm_source=mdcsegooglebase2&utm_medium=cse&utm_campaign=mdcsegooglebase2&utm_content=BW1772&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-evhiYfY7wIVx0XVCh16CQTxEAQYAiABEgILYfD_BwE

Technical Background

Algae requires nutrition in order to survive and thrive; those nutrients needed allow algal biological functions and chemical reactions to properly process. Brightwell Aquatics ChaetoGro provides the proper substances in concentrations (found by researchers) to be necessary for long-term health. These elements, and some of the processes that they are involved in, are:

• Potassium - Protein synthesis, water and charge balance, enzyme activation
  • Boron - Chlorophyll production, flowering, root growth, cell function
  • Carbon - Required for all organic compounds
  • Calcium - Cell wall stability and permeability, enzyme activation, cell response to stimuli
  • Chlorine - Water and charge balance, photosynthesis
  • Iron - Required for photosynthesis, component of enzymes utilized in redox reactions
  • Magnesium - Component of chlorophyll, enzyme activation
  • Manganese - Formation of amino acids, enzyme activation
  • Molybdenum and Cobalt - Required for nitrate reduction
  • Nickel - Enzyme activation, processing of nitrogenous material
  • Sulfur - Component of proteins and the coenzymes that are involved with nutrient utilization and growth
  • Zinc - Chlorophyll production, enzyme activation

Note: ChaetoGro does not contain phosphorus or nitrogen 

• Like 1
On 3/30/2021 at 8:58 AM, Subsea said:

ChaetoGrow was not part of that conversation back then but both relate to consuming in tank phosphate by providing all other elements.  Many seaweed combine N:P  in a ratio of 30:1   So by removing the limiting nutrient, whatever it is, seaweed biomass is allowed to grow.  I added Seachem Floride substrate in all refugiums.  As I had previously lab analysis of Gracilaria Parvispora I tried juggling cocktail to dose tanks with.  Brightwell Aquatics did it in their lab:

Dawn,

considering your high nutrient tank, I see little need for product.  I use it because my sandbed is loaded with phosphate due to insufficient gravel vac maintenance.  It is also used in ULNS to replace nutrients limited food input.

https://www.marinedepot.com/chaeto-algae-refugium-fertilizer-chaetogro-brightwell-aquatics-500ml?utm_source=mdcsegooglebase2&utm_medium=cse&utm_campaign=mdcsegooglebase2&utm_content=BW1772&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-evhiYfY7wIVx0XVCh16CQTxEAQYAiABEgILYfD_BwE

Technical Background

Algae requires nutrition in order to survive and thrive; those nutrients needed allow algal biological functions and chemical reactions to properly process. Brightwell Aquatics ChaetoGro provides the proper substances in concentrations (found by researchers) to be necessary for long-term health. These elements, and some of the processes that they are involved in, are:

• Calcium - Cell wall stability and permeability, enzyme activation, cell response to stimuli
  • Iron - Required for photosynthesis, component of enzymes utilized in redox reactions
  • Sulfur - Component of proteins and the coenzymes that are involved with nutrient utilization and growth

Thank you Patrick for the clarification.  I need to study this further to digest this info.  I appreciate you passing it along.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 3/30/2021 at 8:58 AM, Subsea said:

Dawn,

Technical Background

I can vouch for the stuff as well, the potassium actually helps perk up certain corals since the element tends to bottom out in our little glass boxes rather quickly. I've taken to using the chaeto grow as a replacement for "trace mineral" dosing, since it actually pretty much has it all in there. Worth noting my own dragons breath really prefers if I keep up with dosing, granted it still sulks and dies back regularly. 

Speaking of which I'm really curious as to how you differentiate between the pacific and other varieties of dragons breath?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My macros seem to like ChaetoGro too. Though I will say, accidentally dosing too much of it pretty severely irritated my LPS and mushrooms one time, so try not to dose twice the normal amount. It seems to be safe at the normal levels, though.

• Like 1
22 hours ago, A.m.P said:

I can vouch for the stuff as well, the potassium actually helps perk up certain corals since the element tends to bottom out in our little glass boxes rather quickly. I've taken to using the chaeto grow as a replacement for "trace mineral" dosing, since it actually pretty much has it all in there. Worth noting my own dragons breath really prefers if I keep up with dosing, granted it still sulks and dies back regularly. 

Speaking of which I'm really curious as to how you differentiate between the pacific and other varieties of dragons breath?

https://www.live-plants.com/dragonsbreath.htm

https://www.marineplantbook.com/marinebookhalyfloridana.htm

https://www.marineplantbook.com/marinebookhalyfloresia.htm

This is a Pacific variety that is aqua-cultured in the United States. Unlike other species of halymenia, the tissue on this particular macro algae isn't as thin and is slightly rigid. It features a deep red coloration and a brilliant orange-yellow fluorescence at the tip of each frond. It's a very hardy species once established but grows in cycles so should be divided regularly to preserve the algae.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1