vlangel

Dawn's natural nutrient tank system!

Christopher Marks

Beautiful reef @vlangel, it's great to see it in motion. Love that royal gramma, one of my favorite fish. The one I kept years ago was so shy in comparison to yours, that's great.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

vlangel
4 hours ago, Subsea said:

Dawn,

Outstanding.  Kudos to you.  Very nice.  What is the red macro in front bottom right of tank?

Thank you Patrick for such kind words!

I think it is grasilaria hayi but I am not certain of that.  I bought it off a reefer here I think and she called it red titan.  I have it everywhere and it grows as well for me as caulerpa!  Thank goodness not as fast or as invasive though.

• Like 2

vlangel
1 hour ago, Christopher Marks said:

Beautiful reef @vlangel, it's great to see it in motion. Love that royal gramma, one of my favorite fish. The one I kept years ago was so shy in comparison to yours, that's great.

Thank you very much CM!  I also enjoy all the movement (whether it be fish, shrimp, swaying coral or tentacled nems) in this system. 

How can anyone not love the showy fuscia and yellow on royal grammas?  None of the grammas I have had were shy.

I will say that I really miss the ponies but I love the ease of caring for this tank.  It is such a simple natural approach that suits me in this season of life.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Subsea
2 hours ago, vlangel said:

Thank you very much CM!  I also enjoy all the movement (whether it be fish, shrimp, swaying coral or tentacled nems) in this system. 

How can anyone not love the showy fuscia and yellow on royal grammas?  None of the grammas I have had were shy.

I will say that I really miss the ponies but I love the ease of caring for this tank.  It is such a simple natural approach that suits me in this season of life.

Dawn,

I like the way you worded¬†that, ‚Äúthat suits me in this season of life‚ÄĚ. ¬†That describes my reef keeping style of ‚ÄúLaissez Faire‚ÄĚ.

• Like 4

Lypto

That weeping willow is crazy.

• Like 1

Subsea
17 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

Christopher,

Yes to Royal Gramma,  Dawn & I know an individual that got a dozen royal gramma to live in his seaweed mangrove root tank.  I so much liked it, I put 6 into my 120G display.  They dithered together for a bit, but then found  a hiding spot to be secure.  To dither, I got Pajama Cardinals.

Dawn,

I really like your post pony tank.  I am glad the work load decreased with an increase in visual appreciation.  

Of recent, there have been beautiful macro tanks on reef forums. ¬†I now have ‚Äúmacro lagoon tank‚ÄĚ envy. ¬†Before the Big Chill, I had set up a 30G tank on a 55G stand and cycled the 30G tank. ¬†I now have a more enhanced ‚Äúvision on steroids‚ÄĚin mind. ¬†Tune in for more developments.

First picture is temporary macro tank on top and seed start station for Spring garden vegetables.

Second picture is 75G 25 year mature display.

Third picture is 120G display after 7 days of peroxide treatment of 1ml/G of 3% h202.  

Dawn, the fourth picture is the only macro that Hippo does not graze on.  It is tubular in shape, not flattened like Hayi and it is pliable and does not succumb to grazing.  It was in a Red Macro grab bag from GCE.

https://www.live-plants.com/gracilaria.htm

PS:  I must upgrade to a new tank because ornamental macros can not be grown with a Hippo in my 75G display and considering the 120G with the Andromeda Galaxy and tooo many Asterina  Stars, I opt for new biotheme.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Wow 1

vlangel
18 hours ago, Lypto said:

That weeping willow is crazy.

I am guessing you mean the curlique anemone?  A lot of reefers do not like them as they have a reputation of eating small fish but I do not know that it is justified.  Also it is a myth that they reproduce like aiptasia.  I like it's delicate tentacles.

• Like 3

vlangel

I have been working on improvements to my basement refugium.  The shoal grass should be established by now but it was not flourishing.  The 1st improvement was for me to change the cheap led par 30 bulbs to my Coralife Quad T5 fixture that I bought for that tank.  Unfortunately the diy overflow I built is in the way for me to use the legs that come with the fixture so I needed my hubby's help with designing a way to suspend it.  He did a really good job with it.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/RCT7Gbpw4eRXeHEe7

https://photos.app.goo.gl/C7rbVgrGV7BX74tB6

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

vlangel

The 2nd improvement involved getting nutrient into the roots of the shoal grass.  I have been involved with a thread on another forum where an aquarist has a seagrass tank.  In his research he learned that regular garden soil that is not contaminated with anything is an excellent way to help get seagrass to thrive.

My problem was that the seagrass was already in the sandbed so how could I get garden dirt incorporated into an established tank????  As I thought on that I decided to syphon out about an inch of the top layer of sand.  Then I took my dirt and very slowly submerged cupfuls at a time and then slowly tipped out the dirt.  I had the fuge offline from the display but had an Aquaclear filter with floss to help aerate and clear the cloudiness.  Amazingly that worked pretty well.  Once the worst of the cloudiness settled I added more sand plus the original sand that I syphoned out back on top.  I put the fuge back online so that the bio-filter in my sump and display could offset any die off that may had occurred.  I think it worked very well.  The shoal grass is greening up and looks better already.  I am anxious to see what it will look like 2 months from now.  Here is how it looks today.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/RoQX1j9s6cpGoZ188

• Like 4

Tired

Interesting idea with the dirt. But I've always read that dirted tanks (at least in freshwater) should be left to sit for at least a few weeks before adding livestock, and not just to cycle them. Partly to make sure the dirt isn't actually doing anything untoward. Remind me, do you have activated charcoal in the filtration somehow? Might be good to run a bunch of that for a bit.

• Like 1

Lypto

I'm curious to see how the seagrass would react to aquascape soil that comes in little clumps vs garden soil vs something like river mud and a control of regular sand or miracle mud.

vlangel
13 hours ago, Tired said:

Interesting idea with the dirt. But I've always read that dirted tanks (at least in freshwater) should be left to sit for at least a few weeks before adding livestock, and not just to cycle them. Partly to make sure the dirt isn't actually doing anything untoward. Remind me, do you have activated charcoal in the filtration somehow? Might be good to run a bunch of that for a bit.

I can run activated carbon in the Aquaclear filter but have not.  I suppose that might be a good idea just in case. 

This soil is not a prepared soil from a garden center.  It is a mixture of our PA clay with composted soil that I have made myself.  That way I knew that there were not any contaminants in it.

It was no doubt a bit reckless of me to just add it to the whole aquarium system.  I did have the refugium offline when I first added it and when the conch, nassarius snails and grass shrimp seemed ok after I was done, I figured it was safe to turn the return pump on and connect the fuge back online.

• Like 2