inTank Media Baskets

Dawn's natural nutrient tank system!

vlangel

4 hours ago, Tired said:

I would personally stay away from the corkscrew anemone. They sting pretty heavily and can be dangerous to small fish. The rest of that sounds like a great batch of stuff to get. Maybe grab a ricordea instead of the corkscrew? I suggest getting a ric every time you order from KP, their rics are really nice. 

I have had a corkscrew nem in the past and I never had a issue with it.  In fact I really like it a lot but had re-homed it when I got seahorses.  Hopefully it was not just a fluke gentle one of it species because I already placed the order!

• Wow 1
3 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

Happy New Year. Six plus items VS a mandarin sounds good to me. 

Yeah, it's just feels right.  I need to hold off on a mandarin until I am ready to go all out whatever it takes to get one to thrive.  Right now I want easier where my tank is concerned.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, A.m.P said:

Could grab a rainford's, good color, similar behavior, the captive bred are already eating prepared foods too.

They are a very attractive fish and I may add one to the tank some day.  It should fit in well with my current fish.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I should be recieving an order from KP Aquatics tomorrow, (my Christmas gift from my hubby).  It will include 3 masked gobies, a yellow ball sponge, a green RFA, a curlicue anemone, a pistol shrimp, a fighting conch, and 2 rooted halimeda.

I am excited as it's been a long time since I ordered so much at once.  It should add to the diversity of my tank but without much stress, (I hope).  Right now my tank is very harmonious and I want it to stay that way.

I will probably acclimate the masked gobies in a baby net to help them settle in better and make sure that they are eating well.  From the description they school so I am figuring that there is safety in numbers.

• Like 5
2 hours ago, vlangel said:

I should be recieving an order from KP Aquatics tomorrow, (my Christmas gift from my hubby).  It will include 3 masked gobies, a yellow ball sponge, a green RFA, a curlicue anemone, a pistol shrimp, a fighting conch, and 2 rooted halimeda.

I am excited as it's been a long time since I ordered so much at once.  It should add to the diversity of my tank but without much stress, (I hope).  Right now my tank is very harmonious and I want it to stay that way.

I will probably acclimate the masked gobies in a baby net to help them settle in better and make sure that they are eating well.  From the description they school so I am figuring that there is safety in numbers.

Masked gobies are adorable - it's a shame they're not available here. Looking forward to seeing pics of your new acquisitions soon! :happy:

• Like 1

Everything came from KP Aquatics and their good name is fully justified.  This order was top notch and I am so pleased.  They were generous too in giving me 4 gobies instead of 3 and also 3 rooted halimeda instead of the 2 that I ordered.  I will take pics when everything settles in!

• Like 4
On 1/19/2021 at 9:12 AM, Snow_Phoenix said:

Masked gobies are adorable - it's a shame they're not available here. Looking forward to seeing pics of your new acquisitions soon! :happy:

They are so tiny but O so cute.  KP Aquatics sent me 4 instead of only 3 that I ordered but even the tiniest looked spunky!

• Like 2
1 hour ago, vlangel said:

They are so tiny but O so cute.  KP Aquatics sent me 4 instead of only 3 that I ordered but even the tiniest looked spunky!

I can't wait to see them in your tank!  I hadn't realized they were schooling fish, I've only ever seen tanks with single ones so far. 

• Like 2
17 hours ago, sublunary said:

I can't wait to see them in your tank!  I hadn't realized they were schooling fish, I've only ever seen tanks with single ones so far. 

That is what it said in the description on masked gobies so I hope it's true.  They are so tiny that if they don't hang together I will never see them!

I am pleased to see that they are eating in the baby net.  I am not sure how long to keep them in it.  At least I can see them there!

• Like 5

I would let them out soon. Tiny fish like that do best with frequent feedings, and your tank should have plenty of copepods for them to snack on. 

Take a picture before you let them out, though!

• Like 4
5 hours ago, Tired said:

I would let them out soon. Tiny fish like that do best with frequent feedings, and your tank should have plenty of copepods for them to snack on. 

Take a picture before you let them out, though!

I am torn about letting them out.  They are so small I worry about them getting eatten and disappearing forever.  They were wild caught so I guess they are savvy about predators???

I do have copepods however for them to eat.

• Like 2
On 1/21/2021 at 7:27 PM, debbeach13 said:

Will you put the macro with them?

I did not since the tank has lots of that grasilaria in different spots.  I just lowered the baby net and tipped it so the gobies could swim out when they were ready.  Hopefully they headed for macro cover!

• Like 1

Great news, during last night's feeding I saw 2 of the masked gobies.  One of them was the tiniest and it appeared to have chosen a nice cave where it can dart out and eat food that wafts by.  The other one was a bigger one and it also appeared well adjusted.  I am very encouraged.

I do not see schooling tendencies however.  They were at opposite ends of the tank and both stayed near protective holes they could hide in.

• Like 3

Last night I saw 3 masked gobies and 2 were very near one another.  I have observed them eating which is so encouraging.  Even though they are secretive, they are a cool little fish!

• Like 4

I wonder if they might be less of a shoaling fish, and more of a "vaguely social" fish. Either way, they're adorable. Worth having around! 

You might look into something that could act as a dither fish, to help them feel safer, if they don't make themselves slightly more known after a week or so to adjust.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Tired said:

I wonder if they might be less of a shoaling fish, and more of a "vaguely social" fish. Either way, they're adorable. Worth having around! 

You might look into something that could act as a dither fish, to help them feel safer, if they don't make themselves slightly more known after a week or so to adjust.

Hhm, I like that description of 'vaguely social' and perhaps that is what they are.  Like a lot of gobies, they have hollowed out an area under some rock and then they hang in the doorway of their hollowed out den.  It is adorable.

They do not seem skittish.  When the bigger fish swim by they do not cower or hide so I do not think that dither fish will help.  It looks to me that they are doing what they do.

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

I have only been seeing 1 goby lately.  It seems to share a den with the fire fish goby.  I am not sure if the others perished or are just elusive.

I have found the pistol shrimp's lair.  All I ever see if it is faint claws down in the lair and lots of sand moved at the mouth of the lair.  I named it Rice Krispies because of it snapping, ha ha!

All else with the tank is going well.

• Like 3