Cultivated Reef

NoOneLikesADryTang

yeah porcelain crabs are cool I am going to have a few in my tank if i ever move.... it's bee real hard not to add some live to the tank.

say Hello to the TK for me 😄

• Like 1
NoOneLikesADryTang

This week we adjusted our light schedule on the 20 gallon peninsula. It was getting up to 85 or 86 degrees late in the afternoon/evening. With the Current Orbit Pro’s just a couple inches off the water line, and living in the Arizona desert, the tank just couldn’t stay cool. With our adjustment we’re now seeing a much more manageable 82 degrees at peak. Our other option would have been changing the lighting to a Nanobox Duo, or an AI Hydra HD 26 that we have, but aren’t currently using. This would have raised the light fixture above the water line and allowed the use of a fan, but would have greatly impacted the sleek look of the tank we currently have.

We also spotted what appears to be some sort of Eunice Worm. Sorry that these photos aren’t great. It’s very rare to see this little guy outside his hole. I didn’t have time to grab the Nikon, so iPhone pics were all I got. 

80550F2E-6AB6-4572-84A4-07498DB1FAE4.thumb.jpeg.5b2f59f35e43212445fd70fdec497b02.jpeg

A512D5F2-11E6-4FBF-93F0-C8DD909D0456.thumb.jpeg.5f5753d6a287ef490ca39a85503bc089.jpeg

5EC81CB2-51E2-40D0-A17E-DE01A54FA189.thumb.jpeg.9621d55551879ac120beaa4c96f13a10.jpeg

Of course the tank keeper was ecstatic at this discovery. She once bought a rock from a LFS, just because it had a Eunice worm... The further we get down this rabbit hole of straight from the ocean live rock, the more I think I might be some sort of freak, that the tank keeper can’t help but take in as a charity case. 

Also, I was able to get this photo of one of our aforementioned porcelain crabs. 

D1C99301-DCA4-47F4-987F-6E1E6F1DC3F3.thumb.jpeg.3c26162a66d2fb0e5f7c255d82e3a322.jpeg

Last, but certainly not least... Happy Father’s Day to all you reef daddies. It’s sort of like being a sugar daddy, except no lovin’ for all the money thrown at your tank!

• Like 5
2 hours ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

This week we adjusted our light schedule on the 20 gallon peninsula. It was getting up to 85 or 86 degrees late in the afternoon/evening. With the Current Orbit Pro’s just a couple inches off the water line, and living in the Arizona desert, the tank just couldn’t stay cool. With our adjustment we’re now seeing a much more manageable 82 degrees at peak. Our other option would have been changing the lighting to a Nanobox Duo, or an AI Hydra HD 26 that we have, but aren’t currently using. This would have raised the light fixture above the water line and allowed the use of a fan, but would have greatly impacted the sleek look of the tank we currently have.

We also spotted what appears to be some sort of Eunice Worm. Sorry that these photos aren’t great. It’s very rare to see this little guy outside his hole. I didn’t have time to grab the Nikon, so iPhone pics were all I got. 

80550F2E-6AB6-4572-84A4-07498DB1FAE4.thumb.jpeg.5b2f59f35e43212445fd70fdec497b02.jpeg

A512D5F2-11E6-4FBF-93F0-C8DD909D0456.thumb.jpeg.5f5753d6a287ef490ca39a85503bc089.jpeg

5EC81CB2-51E2-40D0-A17E-DE01A54FA189.thumb.jpeg.9621d55551879ac120beaa4c96f13a10.jpeg

Of course the tank keeper was ecstatic at this discovery. She once bought a rock from a LFS, just because it had a Eunice worm... The further we get down this rabbit hole of straight from the ocean live rock, the more I think I might be some sort of freak, that the tank keeper can’t help but take in as a charity case. 

Also, I was able to get this photo of one of our aforementioned porcelain crabs. 

D1C99301-DCA4-47F4-987F-6E1E6F1DC3F3.thumb.jpeg.3c26162a66d2fb0e5f7c255d82e3a322.jpeg

Last, but certainly not least... Happy Father’s Day to all you reef daddies. It’s sort of like being a sugar daddy, except no lovin’ for all the money thrown at your tank!

I think that bad boy need a tank of its own! wonder how big you could grow it out?!?

• 2 weeks later...
NoOneLikesADryTang

Sorry, I’m a day late, but here’s June’s full tank shots. 

0052DD38-3DD0-48C6-9AD1-7A0D41DD73D8.thumb.jpeg.eda9b667b72afad6771772b6744c52a6.jpeg

6537B364-4D7E-4C20-9052-E64DED5595A5.thumb.jpeg.fd19ea137bd0973549ccbf2760b4527a.jpeg

We decided last weekend, to try a fish in this tank, and lucky for us, our favorite LFS had feeder Mollies (Not the the kind Miley Cyrus, bless her heart, is in to. The aquatic kind.) for $3. Fifteen dollars later, we left with five of them. Three were to go in to the mantis/rock flower tank, and two were to go in to Calcium, the 365 tank. Being live ocean rock, and having seen isopods in this tank, we let it sit fallow for over 3 months. 

Shameless Plug Cetu’s RFA Den 

We started off with these two Mollies, in Calcium, and they seem to really enjoy each other’s company. (Bow Chicka Wow Wow) 

1A2C7DD3-3E8B-4891-9FD1-0F82EAC10A42.thumb.jpeg.77dbc8f213114ba33c6aab67e5ea9e12.jpeg

903EFFD4-CC45-41F6-92B6-983EADA73826.thumb.jpeg.a68555bcd341e0757b1612d20fea694d.jpeg

The remaining three Mollies went to the RFA tank (scroll up for the link to that thread #shamelessplugsforlife). A couple hours after being released, only one Mollie remained. Sort of. It took a pretty good thump to the tail fin (let’s just say, it won’t be rocking out to Nelly’s Shake Yo Tail Feather any time soon.)  The tank keeper couldn’t bare the thought of this little fish dying slowly, because Cetu couldn’t possibly be hungry after eating it’s two friends (Apparently Mantis’ don’t follow the thought process of “Fish are friends, not food.” Maybe we should play Finding Nemo on a loop for her.) It was relocated to Calcium to be reunited with the other Mollies. We affectionately named him, Half Fin.

B2E11CA6-B484-4E10-A495-80620AB73F3E.thumb.jpeg.8114309055c3c1465072c5f5f35d08c8.jpeg

Tonight, he decided to really test his luck, and got in the face of a gorilla crab, and lived to tell the tale. (tail?)

7393ECA4-E469-42D4-BB5F-92A08F104AED.thumb.jpeg.fcac1d24a3c3441f65ad2891a7e66a48.jpeg

The tank keeper is now talking about getting more Mollies to put in this tank. Apparently, I’ve found her fish soft spot. $3 Feeder Mollies. Seriously.  

In closing, did you guys know I had another tank thread? If not, here’s an overt plug for that thread: 

• Like 4
ECLS Reefer
5 minutes ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

Sorry, I’m a day late, but here’s June’s full tank shots. 

0052DD38-3DD0-48C6-9AD1-7A0D41DD73D8.thumb.jpeg.eda9b667b72afad6771772b6744c52a6.jpeg

6537B364-4D7E-4C20-9052-E64DED5595A5.thumb.jpeg.fd19ea137bd0973549ccbf2760b4527a.jpeg

We decided last weekend, to try a fish in this tank, and lucky for us, our favorite LFS had feeder Mollies (Not the the kind Miley Cyrus, bless her heart, is in to. The aquatic kind.) for $3. Fifteen dollars later, we left with five of them. Three were to go in to the mantis/rock flower tank, and two were to go in to Calcium, the 365 tank. Being live ocean rock, and having seen isopods in this tank, we let it sit fallow for over 3 months. 

Shameless Plug Cetu’s RFA Den 

We started off with these two Mollies, in Calcium, and they seem to really enjoy each other’s company. (Bow Chicka Wow Wow) 

1A2C7DD3-3E8B-4891-9FD1-0F82EAC10A42.thumb.jpeg.77dbc8f213114ba33c6aab67e5ea9e12.jpeg

903EFFD4-CC45-41F6-92B6-983EADA73826.thumb.jpeg.a68555bcd341e0757b1612d20fea694d.jpeg

The remaining three Mollies went to the RFA tank (scroll up for the link to that thread #shamelessplugsforlife). A couple hours after being released, only one Mollie remained. Sort of. It took a pretty good thump to the tail fin (let’s just say, it won’t be rocking out to Nelly’s Shake Yo Tail Feather any time soon.)  The tank keeper couldn’t bare the thought of this little fish dying slowly, because Cetu couldn’t possibly be hungry after eating it’s two friends (Apparently Mantis’ don’t follow the thought process of “Fish are friends, not food.” Maybe we should play Finding Nemo on a loop for her.) It was relocated to Calcium to be reunited with the other Mollies. We affectionately named him, Half Fin.

B2E11CA6-B484-4E10-A495-80620AB73F3E.thumb.jpeg.8114309055c3c1465072c5f5f35d08c8.jpeg

Tonight, he decided to really test his luck, and got in the face of a gorilla crab, and lived to tell the tale. (tail?)

7393ECA4-E469-42D4-BB5F-92A08F104AED.thumb.jpeg.fcac1d24a3c3441f65ad2891a7e66a48.jpeg

The tank keeper is now talking about getting more Mollies to put in this tank. Apparently, I’ve found her fish soft spot. $3 Feeder Mollies. Seriously.  

In closing, did you guys know I had another tank thread? If not, here’s an overt plug for that thread: 

No we thought you had only the one, since it’s two tanks one thread...... very very sneaky.

NoOneLikesADryTang
8 hours ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

No we thought you had only the one, since it’s two tanks one thread...... very very sneaky.

Ha! Well we’ve got four tanks in total. These two, the rock flower/mantis tank, and the tank keeper started a thread for her SPS/Christmas Tree Worm tank. She’s even worse at updating the threads than I am, though. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
NoOneLikesADryTang
51 minutes ago, devaji108 said:

looking good!

Thank you! The tank keeper has been talking about getting a few more mollies to put in this tank. She really likes them. 

On 7/2/2020 at 7:23 AM, debbeach13 said:

I understand. Your both busy caring for all those tanks. 

Thanks for the kind words. I have to admit though, the tank keeper does most of the heavy lifting when it comes to tank maintenance. I mostly handle the fragging and selling our excess corals, and she does the water changes and cleaning of the tanks. I am very blessed to have someone so great to share this hobby with. 

• Like 2
NoOneLikesADryTang

The tank keeper is out of town for a couple of days for work... It's the first time since the whole Corona Virus shutdown in early March. That leaves me with a few options : 

A) Do nothing. Leave the tank as is. This is clearly the most boring, yet safest option. 

B) Buy fish and/or coral, and tell the tank keeper about it, while she's gone and hope that she'll be over it by the time she gets home. 

C) Buy fish and/or coral, and don't tell the tank keeper about it. Then I have to hope she doesn't notice right away, as she's getting in late, and the light to the tank will be almost off when she gets home. 

D) Buy a fish. Singular. Before she left, we discussed a name for our next pet. I could probably pull this one off pretty easily. The challenge with this one, is it'd have to be on the pre-approved fish stocking list. It'll also help if the fish quickly becomes best friends with the tank keepers favorite fish, E-Fin. 

giphy.gif

• Haha 3
mitten_reef
2 hours ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

The tank keeper is out of town for a couple of days for work... It's the first time since the whole Corona Virus shutdown in early March. That leaves me with a few options : 

A) Do nothing. Leave the tank as is. This is clearly the most boring, yet safest option. 

B) Buy fish and/or coral, and tell the tank keeper about it, while she's gone and hope that she'll be over it by the time she gets home. 

C) Buy fish and/or coral, and don't tell the tank keeper about it. Then I have to hope she doesn't notice right away, as she's getting in late, and the light to the tank will be almost off when she gets home. 

D) Buy a fish. Singular. Before she left, we discussed a name for our next pet. I could probably pull this one off pretty easily. The challenge with this one, is it'd have to be on the pre-approved fish stocking list. It'll also help if the fish quickly becomes best friends with the tank keepers favorite fish, E-Fin. 

giphy.gif

How do you know she wouldn’t be reading this post before she leaves town?? 😂😂 😂

• Haha 2
2 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

Didn’t even think about that...lol

Cannedfish

C. 

Help me play my favorite game: “Help make me, help make you, make a bad decision.”

Yep. #C. 

(also I need a Eunice worm update)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
ECLS Reefer

I just buy new stuff all the time and try to get it in the tank, hide the shipping paraphernalia, before my husband wakes up. He never notices anything small unless it’s a new fish, but I swear he digs thru the trash to check for boxes. 

*I did get last weeks box by him though. Covered it all up with other boxes 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
mitten_reef
27 minutes ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

I just buy new stuff all the time and try to get it in the tank, hide the shipping paraphernalia, before my husband wakes up. He never notices anything small unless it’s a new fish, but I swear he digs thru the trash to check for boxes. 

Umm 🤔, maybe you have a small coral problem.  😅

• Haha 2
NoOneLikesADryTang
1 hour ago, mitten_reef said:

I don’t. In fact, there’s a good chance she’ll see it. I like to live on the edge. 

42 minutes ago, Cannedfish said:

C. 

Help me play my favorite game: “Help make me, help make you, make a bad decision.”

Yep. #C. 

(also I need a Eunice worm update)

Damn I like your style. Is it really a bad decision if it makes the aquarium even cooler?! 

The Eunice doesn’t come out of his hole often. Maybe this weekend we’ll try to bait him out some with food and try to get pictures or a video. 

37 minutes ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

Well played. I don’t have it that easy, as she’ll definitely notice something new in the tank. Well, I might be able to pull off a zoa frag or two, because we have so many, but anything else, she’d notice. Especially if it swam. 

11 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

Umm 🤔, maybe you have a small coral problem.  😅

The only coral problem, that I’m aware of, is the one when your tank doesn’t have enough coral. I’d be a terrible AA sponsor. 

• Haha 1
  • Thanks 1
ECLS Reefer
10 minutes ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

The only coral problem, that I’m aware of, is the one when your tank doesn’t have enough coral. I’d be a terrible AA sponsor. 

I agree I think @mitten_reef is showing terrible negativity and a lack of incentive for stuffing the tank as full as possible

• Haha 2
21 hours ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

giphy.gif

IDK, Bro the tank keep seems like a real keeper, might not want to piss her off to bad. plus just think about all the ppl out there in reef land that wished there partners when into there hobby...+ its nice to pick things  out together.  so I say make it a date out of it and have fun.

• Like 2
NoOneLikesADryTang
13 minutes ago, devaji108 said:

IDK, Bro the tank keep seems like a real keeper, might not want to piss her off to bad. plus just think about all the ppl out there in reef land that wished there partners when into there hobby...+ its nice to pick things  out together.  so I say make it a date out of it and have fun.

Solid points! 

Why do I feel like I have you sitting on one shoulder, and Canned Fish on the other?! 

giphy.gif

In all seriousness, she very rarely tells me no... I just like to make her shake her head when she reads through this nonsense. Plus, I always have these four little words, "Babe, don't be mad", when I walk through the door with a bag in my hand after visiting the LFS. Seriously - it's like a get out of jail free card. She rolls her eyes, and then grabs the dip because she knows I'm not going to take it back. 

• Haha 2
ECLS Reefer
2 minutes ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

Solid points! 

Why do I feel like I have you sitting on one shoulder, and Canned Fish on the other?! 

giphy.gifShe rolls her eyes, and then grabs the dip because she knows I'm not going to take it back. 

CannedFish is definitely a devil your shoulder. You know he’s sacrificing to some voodoo god to make that tank look like it does. 

The Tank Keeper dips what??

• Haha 2
NoOneLikesADryTang
1 minute ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

CannedFish is definitely a devil your shoulder. You know he’s sacrificing to some voodoo god to make that tank look like it does. 

The Tank Keeper dips what??

Ohhh you know... She put her hand up on my hip. When I dip, she dips, we dip. 

We once got montipora eating nudis (not the kind of nudes I ever want again!) after not dipping once, so now any coral that gets brought in to the house gets dipped before being put in one of our tanks. 

• Haha 2
ECLS Reefer
54 minutes ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

Ohhh you know... She put her hand up on my hip. When I dip, she dips, we dip. 

We once got montipora eating nudis (not the kind of nudes I ever want again!) after not dipping once, so now any coral that gets brought in to the house gets dipped before being put in one of our tanks. 

Thanks for clarifying- I was thinking she was into dipping chaw like a staunch old southern lady

• Haha 1
NoOneLikesADryTang

Well, I didn't purchase anything why the tank keeper was out of town, but that didn't stop me from pushing the limits of her sanity. I really think she must be a saint. I shouldn't be allowed in to a LFS without adult (tank keeper) supervision. I traded a couple zoa frags to a buddy, for an alveopora and he told me about a few things he'd seen at the LFS between our houses. We haven't had a ton of luck with fish from this LFS, but I really like the couple that owns it. They are very kind, genuine people, that are just trying to survive through this covid craziness. They had a Blue Star Leopard Wrasse, that came from a tank they'd broken down at their dentist's office.  Here's a quick shot I took of it at the store, while I texted TK about it.  

IMG_6810.thumb.jpg.421c7ae640da50fc35b8f509b4422b55.jpg

From this LFS, we've had a couple different wrasse die, within a few days of getting them home, and a yasha goby jump (through our lid - the little bastard must have sucked it in, much like I did as a teenager when a pretty girl walked by). We also had a blenny go missing, but I'm fairly certain he was a meal for Chad the Polyclad, long before we even knew Chad existed. I don't blame them for the goby, or blenny deaths, but I'm guessing the wrasses just went through too much stress, too quickly from being caught. We now get most of our fish from a different LFS that does do a couple week quarantine/treatment before selling. 

I observed it for about 20 minutes, and asked them to feed it. It happily ate frozen, and they said they had been told by the dentist that it ate pellets. I had them bag it up, and I texted the tank keeper about it... 

IMG_6823.thumb.jpg.95e207d626526a61d83299451beb7455.jpg

She was less than thrilled with my unsupervised trip to the LFS... I may end up having to sleep next to the tank (scoot over E-Fin, you'll need to share the rack) if I keep this up. It's in the tank, and I'm still alive. For now.

When you read this, TK, please, babe, don't be mad. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4