Cultivated Reef

NoOneLikesADryTang

NoOneLikesADryTang

This week, we foundĀ a bar height table, that had the exact length we needed for the 365 day challenge tank. After the tank had been set up, on the original table for a few weeks it was determined that it just sat too low for our liking. Even though the tank keeper is 5ā€™1 and a 1/2ā€ (I suppose when youā€™re short, a half an inch really matters.[that's what she said!])Ā and Iā€™m 6ā€™2ā€ - it just didnā€™t really work well for either of us.Ā 

Ā 

We also decided that we wanted to put a deeper sand bed in this tank, to accommodate a future jawfish. We bought some stax rock, to build up the current rocks, and hopefully dictate where the jawfish to be, will call home. The remaining area was filled with sand, so you canā€™t see the flat stax rocks. In this process, the tank keeper found a Medusa worm! Hopefully TK will share photos of that in a future post. Weā€™ve also found about half a dozen different crabs.Ā 

Ā 

Lastly, weā€™ve been having issues with the stock pump putting out micro bubbles in to the 365Ā tank (Calcium, the Nuvo 20 Peninsula). ThisĀ evening I put some filter floss Ā in the third chamber, above the return pump and it seems to have really helped. Iā€™ll monitor that, and report back later.Ā 

We alsoĀ moved what remained from the mixed reef (the tank on the left in photo of the month contest picture), in toĀ Mercury (our 80 gallon mixed reef) so the tank keeper can restart it as an SPS dominant nano. [Shameless plug - feel free to throw me a vote in the photo of the month contest!]

Ā 

Ā 

E613DE04-D830-422C-A9AF-0675ECC802D8.jpeg

5946E620-DFBE-45F8-95CB-D072C3C74923.jpeg

E0454DDE-AD63-4EC7-B63B-020E45D30652.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Wow 1
NoOneLikesADryTang
4 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

Absolutely looks like you have a nice box of the ocean floor.

Thanks Deb! Itā€™s coming along. Weā€™re starting to think that it may need a little more flow. The return pump that came stock with it, Iā€™m just not sure has enough flow to get around these bulky rocks and 27ā€ in tank length. Anyone thatā€™s used this tank have any suggestions on an unobtrusive powerhead? We have a spare MP10 that we could use, but itā€™d be hanging off the end of the table. I can all ready see it getting knocked off (the tank is right at the edge of the table).Ā 

7 hours ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

Thanks Deb! Itā€™s coming along. Weā€™re starting to think that it may need a little more flow. The return pump that came stock with it, Iā€™m just not sure has enough flow to get around these bulky rocks and 27ā€ in tank length. Anyone thatā€™s used this tank have any suggestions on an unobtrusive powerhead? We have a spare MP10 that we could use, but itā€™d be hanging off the end of the table. I can all ready see it getting knocked off (the tank is right at the edge of the table).Ā 

Ā 

looking real good!

I would check out the ReefBreeders RPM pumps. that is what i would use small foot print lots of flow and a good price point!

Ā 

PS.

Love the sponges and an always theĀ  peninsula!

that brick wall is not to shabby either. I have been thinking about an accent wallĀ  in the new house with brick. IDK we will see,Ā 

NoOneLikesADryTang
16 hours ago, devaji108 said:

Ā 

looking real good!

I would check out the ReefBreeders RPM pumps. that is what i would use small foot print lots of flow and a good price point!

Ā 

PS.

Love the sponges and an always theĀ  peninsula!

that brick wall is not to shabby either. I have been thinking about an accent wallĀ  in the new house with brick. IDK we will see,Ā 

Thank you! You can't tell from the pictures, but there's also brick floors in this room. It definitely gives it some character and charm. Also, Thanks for the pump recommendation; I'll look in to that one.Ā Ā 

Ā 

15 hours ago, lizzyann said:

I like theĀ Aqamai KPS on my IM20 peninsula!

Thanks Lizzyann! Where do you have it placed in your tank? Are you using the stock return pump as well?Ā 

• Like 1

I've got it on the glass right under the return, but pointed towards the center so it flows into/over my sps rock. My return pump is the sicce syncra 1.0, but only because I bought the tank used and that's what the previous owner had on it. I think it's less powerful than the stock pump, and I recently installed a spinstream nozzle which reduces the flow even more, but I think it's working so far. I think at some point I tried to get the syncra 1.5 but it wouldn't fit, or at least wouldn't fit with everything else I was trying to put in that last chamber.

• Like 1
NoOneLikesADryTang
2 minutes ago, lizzyann said:

I've got it on the glass right under the return, but pointed towards the center so it flows into/over my sps rock. My return pump is the sicce syncra 1.0, but only because I bought the tank used and that's what the previous owner had on it. I think it's less powerful than the stock pump, and I recently installed a spinstream nozzle which reduces the flow even more, but I think it's working so far. I think at some point I tried to get the syncra 1.5 but it wouldn't fit, or at least wouldn't fit with everything else I was trying to put in that last chamber.

Thanks for the feedback - I couldn't find a pump that would fit in the tiny chambers (My hand doesn't fit in there very well, at all.) that moved more water than the stock Mighty-Jet. I scoured the interwebs for hours looking, to no avail. So as we're looking for some more flow, we're probably going to have to go with a power head. I may have to rummage through the tank keepers closet and see what I can find, but I love hearing feedback from people with this tank(or similar sized) to look at new options.Ā 

EfrainChicagoDeepdish

Hi, I'm E-fin and I'm a ... fish.Ā Ā 

49900.thumb.jpeg.f8488c06d682ccaf28728664c3644fa5.jpeg

Ā 

Let me show you my crib.

49933.thumb.jpeg.45d1afe9d56fb7332cf8cd8db6de6f0a.jpeg

Ā 

It all started one cold and rainy Black Friday morning where I was placed in a bag to sit after some consecutively bad days.Ā  MeanwhileĀ NOLADT and TK were standing in line outside since 3am just to get ME when the store opened fourĀ hours later.Ā  Eventually the gates opened,Ā Ā TK scooped me up, and a two hour drive to my the end of my bad days.Ā  Or so I thought.Ā 

Ā 

I was put in quarantine where IĀ was lonely and scared.Ā  I had a rock I could hid in and when the room was quiet, I would swim some.Ā  I totally get what you guys are going through right now.Ā Ā 

Ā 

NOLADTĀ was happy with my purchase because there was no way I'd be placed in a tiny houseĀ so the hunt for my abodeĀ was officially started and less than a month later they closed on my home.Ā  Here's my house before the renovation.Ā  The pink tile in the bathroom was outdated and everything conveyed as part of the sale.

49903.thumb.jpeg.3c69e13cd361b4a42f9aaa049d7d10f8.jpeg

Ā 

Anyways, the house is still a work in progress.Ā 

Ā 

Really quick I want to show you where the magic happens and by that I mean where I sleep.Ā  See me sleeping?Ā  TK said minimal frag racks with the new placeĀ but she couldnā€™t possibly get rid of my bed so once again the NOLADT alliance worked out.Ā Ā 

20200222_080906.thumb.jpg.63b78a3f4ab4ea5a4b3ad869810d0dca.jpg

Ā 

After the commercial,Ā I'llĀ continueĀ to show you around and introduce you to my best friends.Ā Ā 

Ā 

**cut to Shake Weight commercial**

Ā 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
NoOneLikesADryTang

20 steps guaranteed to talk the tank keeper in to a larger tank:Ā 

Ā 

1. Find a LFS doing a killer Black Friday deals. As a bonus, it helps if they're doing giveaways for the first 5 people in line.Ā 

2. Make sure the tank keeper is sleep deprived. This may or may not have meant getting up at 1 am, making a two hour drive to Tucson and standing out in the cold (for us - I mean, it was like 40Ā and rainy out, but we're sissies here in Arizona).

3. Make small talk with the guy in line behind you, who's there for $20 tangs.Ā 

4. Locate the table of prebagged tangs, and push your way to the front (it helps that I'm somewhat of a giant).Ā 

5. Start handing these baby tangs in the bags to the tank keeper, to pick out the best looking fish. They're so cute, resistance is futile.Ā 

6. Leave with aĀ vlamingi tang (which I knew was my way in, because it's one TK's favorite fish) and a blue hippo tang, because no one wants to be lonely in quarantine.Ā 

7. Once the tangs are in QT, start talking about how cute they are.Ā 

8. Make the tank keeper fall in love with said tangs.Ā 

9. Vlamingi doesn't make it through QT. The tank keeper is very sad, but it makes her like E-fin even more. E-fin is strong. E-fin is a survivor.Ā 

10. Repeatedly, and I mean repeatedly, talk about how cute E-fin is.Ā 

11. After a week or so, talk about how much you're going to miss him, once he gets too big for our tanks. Constantly. Multiple times a day. Every day.Ā 

12. During this time, searchĀ forĀ used larger tanks for sale. The TK will never go for the cost of a new tank.Ā Ā 

13. Find out what what sort of parameters the tank keeper would want for a larger tank.Ā 

14. Find a tank, with the size requirements necessary according to tank keepers standards.Ā 

15. Send pictures of the tank, while the tank keeper is out drinking with the bestie.Ā 

16. Know that the tank keeper loves a great deal. The tank's live stock that you don't keep will essentially pay for the tank, and all equipment, once sold off.Ā 

17. Set up a time to go see said tank and livestock.Ā 

18. Buy the tank on the spot. The deal is so good, you don't even try to negotiate. Plus, if you allow the tank keeper to leave, they may second think it, which isn't good for you, or for E-fin.Ā 

19. Over the next week, prepare for the tank move.Ā 

20. Move the tank to it's new home. Set it up directly across from E-fin so he can spend his days dreaming of making new friends and having plenty of room to stretch his fins.Ā 

• Haha 5
EfrainChicagoDeepdish

Way too many steps.

Ā 

Step 1 - spend mostĀ evenings talking about dream tanks together.Ā  Such as hydraulic stands and the mechanics involved,Ā ones that require selling the house,Ā ones that make water defy gravity, converting the pool.

Step 2 - San Fran's eyes are bigger than my tanks which means he buys all the things. Therefore convince me that a bigger tank will get rid of frag racks cause we will have the space and I'll get T1 back.Ā Ā 

Step 4 - Then he starts the hunt with huge tanks >150g.Ā  "Babe, do you think we have space for a ten foot tank?" "So-and-so has a 900g that is just sitting.Ā  Ā He will trade for a few zoa frags"Ā Ā 

Step 5 - GetĀ very sweet tangs and have toĀ commit.Ā  Ā 

Step 6 - Find a hella good offer for a tank under a Brazilian gallons that is the proper height.Ā  Purchase tank.Ā 

Ā 

Commence Phase Two: Fill an 80 gallon tank with livestock from your tanks within a few weeks.Ā  Still have eyes bigger than the tanks.Ā Ā 

• Haha 4
NoOneLikesADryTang

Earlier this week, I witnessed our Yellow Clown Goby munching on some SPS, in the 80 gallon tank... @EfrainChicagoDeepdishĀ wasn't convinced that such a cute face could be guilty of such preposterous accusations, and wanted to take a wait and see approach to him.Ā 

Ā 

Sadly, last night she witnessed it first hand. He slowly floated up one end of a stick, taking a big bite of polyps and defiantly chewed at leastĀ half a dozen timesĀ before swallowing, much to the tank keepers dismay.Ā 

Ā 

We considered moving him to the 365 day tank, but ultimately decided not to. We've seen a couple of hairy crabs, and we didn't want to sentence him to an almost guaranteed death sentence. We gave him away to a local reefer who's got a softie only tank. We'll miss him, but we want him to live his best life. I sure hope his new family enjoys his charm as much as we did!Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2
EfrainChicagoDeepdish

If only BozoĀ hadn't chewed in front of me, with those rosy cheeks moving....Ā 

Ā 

Me:Ā  Do you have acro polyps in your mouth?!Ā  Bozo:Ā Ā šŸ˜‹

Ā 

Wishing Bozo the best.Ā Ā 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
mitten_reef
14 minutes ago, EfrainChicagoDeepdish said:

If only BozoĀ hadn't chewed in front of me, with those rosy cheeks moving....Ā 

Ā 

Me:Ā  Do you have acro polyps in your mouth?!Ā  Bozo:Ā Ā šŸ˜‹

Ā 

Wishing Bozo the best.Ā Ā 

Soooo are both of you each handling one account. Or just one of you doing all these NR posts. šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚

• Haha 3
NoOneLikesADryTang
38 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

Soooo are both of you each handling one account. Or just one of you doing all these NR posts. šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚

As much as Iā€™d like to take credit for @EfrainChicagoDeepdishĀ humor, I cannot. They are the mysterious tank keeper, that was mostly a lurker, and seldom a poster. It was up to her if she wanted to identified as the tank keeper.Ā 

Ā 

12 minutes ago, DirtƩ Sanchez said:

Whoa @EfrainChicagoDeepdishĀ is the mysterious female tank keeper?!?! šŸ¤Æ mind blown šŸ¤ÆĀ 

Ā 

I have always been deeply curious about the origins of the screen name.Ā 

Ohhhh... Iā€™m guessing you can figure out what itā€™s in reference too pretty easily. šŸ˜€

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
ECLS Reefer
16 minutes ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

As much as Iā€™d like to take credit for @EfrainChicagoDeepdishĀ humor, I cannot. They are the mysterious tank keeper, that was mostly a lurker, and seldom a poster. It was up to her if she wanted to identified as the tank keeper.Ā 

Ā 

Ohhhh... Iā€™m guessing you can figure out what itā€™s in reference too pretty easily. šŸ˜€

Iā€™ve always thought so but was afraid to assume šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚ That makes my day, so funny.Ā 

• Like 2
NoOneLikesADryTang

Found this cute little crab today in the 365 tank. Heā€™s a little fuzzy... It looks like he just had a hermit for a snack. His legs are starting to look like my face, during this damn quarantine. Who needs razors any way?!Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

• Like 1
  • Wow 2
ECLS Reefer
Just now, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

Found this cute little crab today in the 365 tank. Heā€™s a little fuzzy... It looks like he just had a hermit for a snack. His legs are starting to look like my face, during this damn quarantine. Who needs razors any way?!Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

He gonna end up being like @kimberbee's Bad Crab. Run him through a standard clothes dryer-will take the fuzz right off.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 1
NoOneLikesADryTang
1 minute ago, DirtƩ Sanchez said:

He gonna end up being like @kimberbee's Bad Crab. Run him through a standard clothes dryer-will take the fuzz right off.

Weā€™ve set this tank up with a jawfish in mind. Once we get to that point this poor little guy will probably become a mantis snack, in our rock flower tank, unless we can find a local reefer that wants to give him a happy home.Ā 

• Like 1
9 hours ago, DirtƩ Sanchez said:

Naw, that was @WV Reefer's crab that took the dryer to the great beyond. Mine is alive simply out of it's hatred for me...Ā 

• Haha 4
15 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

Naw, that was @WV Reefer's crab that took the dryer to the great beyond. Mine is alive simply out of it's hatred for me...Ā 

Poor old lady has a birthday this week so I didnā€™t want to correct her. šŸ˜„

• Like 1
  • Haha 3