ReefCleaners.org

NoOneLikesADryTang

sounds like tank keeper and I have have good tastes...lol I have never kept a goni before surprising how much I love em.

keep us posted on how it goes.  

• Haha 1
NoOneLikesADryTang

This was a busy weekend for us. We got our T5’s hung, transferred over some more live stock, in to the 80 gallon, and went to a frag swap that one of the LFS hosted. Fortunately for me, a friend of ours (Who owns Epic Aquaculture, [shameless plug coming - if anyone is looking for really nice, chunky pieces of SPS, Bill is the man to see.]) had a booth there. I made sure to that he was our first stop, so my coral embargo would be lifted and I’d have free reign at the other vendors. I ended up with about 10 zoa frags, and a nice blasto. The tank keeper also go a really fuzzy Acro, and nice pink tipped milli. 

We also picked up a super cute little clown goby, who the tank keeper named, Bozo. He doesn’t seem to have made friends with our other fish yet, but he’s at least out and seems to have a fun personality. I’ve seen that they can nip on SPS, so if he does he’ll probably end up banished to the RFA tank, and hopefully the six line wrasse (Named Three Six Line, Damn She Fine, but usually just refer to him as 3-6) in their won’t pick on him too much. 

The zoas we picked up are:

Front Row, left to right : Yellow Brick Road, Fiji Fire, BSA Rainbow Kazoo, Ziggy Marley, Gold Mauls

Back Row, left to right : Purple Monster, Beauty and the Beast, Playboy Bunnies, M80’s (Candy Apple Pink is in the very back) 

We still have one more tank to break down, and transfer over. We also have a fair amount of livestock we still need to sell/donate to schools or new reefers. Our goal for this tank is to not have any frag racks in it (this was a tank keeper rule upon signing off on a larger tank). It was a busy, but good weekend. I’m very blessed to have the tank keeper by my side throughout this journey. 

I’m afraid we’re entering in to a really strange time in our countries history. I hope all of you have all the fish food/RODI/salt/toilet paper you may need. 

9118C343-A863-4E4E-8E0C-E8C98D897FF6.jpeg

9B76451A-2086-4ADC-89D8-E46EAE9122D5.jpeg

43778D1F-DCC7-4E58-B7B7-9D6184EC2A82.jpeg

B7A36B8C-3FAE-492A-B3C0-5735D40118E6.jpeg

• Like 6
NoOneLikesADryTang
3 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

Tank looks great. I hope your YCG does not touch the SPS. Have you seen it eat any thing?

Thank you! He ate when we fed, and I haven’t seen him nip on any of the corals, thankfully. Mostly just perching and hanging out. He still gets fairly startled when he sees one of us approach the tank, but I’m hoping with time that will change. 

He is just so dam cute. I want one for my pico but am so nervous because many have stated that they don't allows eat. My tank is not ready yet. I am hoping to find one local that is already eating at the store. 

• Like 1

tank is looking great!

looks like you got a great score at the frag swap. 

you and the tank keep be safe out there where ever you are. 

indeed strange times...

• Like 1
NoOneLikesADryTang
15 hours ago, devaji108 said:

tank is looking great!

looks like you got a great score at the frag swap. 

you and the tank keep be safe out there where ever you are. 

indeed strange times...

Thanks. The tank keeper also picked up a couple of acros, but they are in another tank, so I didn't get photos of them. It was a great swap, with lots of beautiful coral. We are lucky to be in a large metropolitan area (Phoenix) that has a strong reefing community and a few really good LFS. 

• Like 1
NoOneLikesADryTang

I got the word today, that my secret weapon, (to get the tank keeper on board with the competition) will ship this evening. I’ve got live rock from Tampa Bay SaltWater coming. I knew that the tank keeper has a soft spot for hitchhikers, and by coming up with the idea of ocean rock, combined with the community support of Nano-Reef (thank you everyone) they wouldn’t be able to resist. It was really a two pronged approach, and I’m not sure if I’d have been able to pull it off on my own. 

TBS has been way behind, mostly due to weather this winter but have finally gotten to my order, after a little over a month. I decided I wanted to buy from TBS, because they ship in water, to minimize die off. It’s more expensive, and the wait was less than ideal, but for the goal of this tank, and it’s ecosystem/theme, I felt it was vital. Both Richard and Deb have been fantastic to work with. It’s going to be a late night for the tank keeper and I, but we want to minimize any die off, so we’ll (hopefully) be picking this rock up tonight as soon as it lands. 

We are really excited that the rock we are getting is being plucked from the ocean today. I will try to update this post tonight, or tomorrow with pictures.

• Like 1
NoOneLikesADryTang

Last night was a late night for the tank keeper and I. Our ocean rock from Tampa Bay Saltwater arrived at the airport around 10pm last night, and we wanted to minimize any die off, so we had a late night run to the airport. It was quite eerie having such a normally bustling airport (Phoenix Sky Harbor) being completely dead. 

The rock was Triple bagged in the outside bags, and double bagged again, where the rock was (5 bags in total) which prevented all leaking. The water temperature in the box, was 75.6 degrees. We ordered 25 pounds and a couple sponges. It was past midnight before we got to bed (I fully expect the tank keeper to be a little grumpy today - Hi Tank Keeper. 😘), but in my opinion was worth missing out on some sleep to ensure keeping as much of the life on this rock alive as possible.

We are really looking forward to seeing all of the unknowns that have hitchhiked in on this rock.

IMG_4258.JPG

IMG_4260.JPG

IMG_4261.JPG

IMG_4263.JPG

• Like 2
NoOneLikesADryTang

We also saw this little guy last night. I'm not sure if we'll ever see him again, once he finds his way back to the rocks, but it was cool to get a photo of him last night.

IMG_4271.JPG

IMG_4276.JPG

• Like 3
NoOneLikesADryTang
21 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

Looks like it is full of life. Should be very interesting.

That's what we're hoping for! 

Also, once we're fairly certain their aren't any nasty hitchhikers that could harm our other tanks, we're hoping to seed the other tanks with the Ocean bacteria that just can't be found any other way. 

• Like 1

nice! rock I am glad he was able to get out and dive for some collecting. for the langest time he said the weather down there was sh*T and could not go it.

I order from him a few years ago lots of life on the rock for sure. watch out for snapping shrimp and gorilla crabs might want to set some traps with food in a bottle to collect them.

lets see the sponges!   

NoOneLikesADryTang

365 Day Challenge Tank info:

IM Nuvo 20 gallon Peninsula 

• Current Orbit Dual Marine Pro (We’ve decided to go with this light over a nanobox duo and an AI Hydra HD 26 that we also have, mostly because of the sleekness.) 
  • Cobalt NeoTherm Heater (FYI, the 100 watt doesn’t fit in the chamber, so I’ve got a 75 watt on order) 
  • VCA Y adapter and two RFG nozzles (this seems to be doing the trick with the MightyJet pump, but if additional flow is needed we’ve got an MP 10 that we can throw on this tank.) 

Below is a picture of our VCA items (I am really hoping that this will be enough to keep us from needing an additional wave maker.) and this months full tank shot. 

75B85C3E-CA44-49A5-9177-3C5693085F2B.jpeg

F48EA13B-9333-4A0E-8874-4FFE83EEE009.jpeg

• Like 1
NoOneLikesADryTang

With the Corona Virus in full swing, the Tank Keeper and I have been laying pretty low, trying to do our part in preventing spread. Our state officially went under a “Stay at Home” order today at 5pm.  

Even though I’ve been working from home the last couple of weeks, the tank keeper has had to go in to the office. This leaves me with a little more flexibility, so I decided today was the day I had to venture out. I needed to get the 75w heater for the 20 gallon tank(it seems everywhere is sold out online). I didn’t want to take the chance of not being able to get my hands on a heater for the competition tank, so Covid be damned, I headed out. 

A couple of lessons were learned today. The most important of which, is if you’ve made a fish purchase without directly consulting with your tank keeper (even if it’s on the pre approved tank stocking list) don’t use the LFS rewards number associated with their phone number. Seriously. Pay cash. Forgo the rewards. Hope the fish hides for a while to buy you some time to come up with a plausible story on how it got in to the tank in the first place. 

Long story short,(I know, not really, I blab. A lot.) the fish is in the tank, and I still have a pulse. For now. 

A95171DE-10E7-4EEE-A180-D4E0498DFA75.jpeg

• Haha 3
NoOneLikesADryTang
1 hour ago, EfrainChicagoDeepdish said:

Well as the thread is aptly named.  The tank keeper knows.  

You are correct. 

It’s like when I was a teenager and a Victoria Secrets catalog would arrive in the mail addressed to my mom; Nothing gets passed the tank keeper. 

• Haha 3
NoOneLikesADryTang

Just a couple quick shots from some of the fish in the 80 gallon today. 

That damn Midas won't sit still, and the Labouti Wrasse (affectionately named The Big Labouti, aka The Dudette) is nearly as bad. They make it nearly impossible to get a good shot of them. Anyone have any suggestions on how to get a better shot of fish that move faster than a toddler being asked what's in their mouth? 

IMG_3940.jpg

IMG_4565.jpg

IMG_4575.jpg

IMG_4583.jpg

• Like 2
EfrainChicagoDeepdish

Have you tried to ask the fish politely to smile, be still, and that we are supposed to be a happy family? 

Also you're out of your element Donny!  

NoOneLikesADryTang

Here’s a couple quick shots of the right side of the 80 gallon. 

Please ignore that damn photo bombing snail on the glass. He may find himself in a tank that houses the tank keepers mantis if he keeps getting in the way of my photos! 

C4640F1E-C425-4EF1-B3E4-11B88CFCE24A.jpeg

64EAD57C-A420-4975-BB47-5FFE83CAC000.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
NoOneLikesADryTang
53 minutes ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

Very nice!

Thank you. The tank keeper has very nice taste in coral... Except for Xenia. That’s one that TK really loves, and I don’t particularly care for it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1