Top Shelf Aquatics

NoOneLikesADryTang

NoOneLikesADryTang

At the end of December, I pulled off what I thought to be my greatest aquarium feat; I talked the tank keeper in to a much larger (for us) aquarium. We found someone getting out of the hobby that had an IM SR80 for sale, with all livestock and equipment. The arrangement we came to, was that the tank keeper got to restart the tank, and to get down to three tanks. With that being said, we’ve spent the better part of the last two months selling off livestock, donating corals to two school marine clubs, and planning the start of this new tank. Our goal was to get the tank broken down, by March 1st, and by golly, we made it(I didn’t account for leap year - thank goodness for the extra day!). 

Over the last month, with the help of many of you here, I was able to talk the tank keeper in to letting us join the AIO 365 Day Nano Reef Challenge. The tank keeper and I both like the looks of peninsula tanks, and I knew if I had a shot at joining this challenge, it’d have to be a peninsula tank I set my sights on. After a couple of discussions/begging/pleading/promising I ordered an IM NUVO 20 Peninsula, for this challenge. 

Today, we spent most of the day, moving the remaining livestock to holding tanks, and completely broke down, cleaned and moved the SR80. It is now back up and running, but we will not move any livestock back until we are happy with the aquascaping, and know that the tank is stable. I will be journaling both of the tanks in here, but I know that only the peninsula 20 is eligible for the competition. However, it did not stop us, from commemorating the day for us, by starting two new tanks. I present to you, Two Tanks, One Thread. An IM Nuvo SR 80, and an IM Nuvo Peninsula 20. 

8BE5F5B7-3DDA-4DBB-B0F8-7D0B68B411FB.jpeg

865C5171-9221-460F-9CCE-55093DC3BCD0.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Haha 11
  • Thanks 1

Sweeeeeet.........................condoms, life savers and chipotle sauce.............oh the tank is ok...................:wink:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

HAHA i totally thought about doing the same with a box of condoms. great mnids think alike.

I am also a huge fan of peninsula tanks and the Im20 almost got that but then found the fiji cube.

man another great tank i must fallow...  

• Like 3
NoOneLikesADryTang
5 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

Two tanks. You are going to be sooo busy! I hope they both do well for you.

Not me... The tank keeper is going to be busy! lol Our goal now that I’ve talked the tank keeper in to the 365 tank, is to get to 4 tanks in the next couple of months. 

Tank 1 - ADA 60P Currently a mixed reef, but the goal is to get it consolidated in to the 80 gallon and reset it as an SPS dominant tank. 
Tank 2 - ADA 60P Is our rock flower tank, built with thought of adding a mantis to this tank, but it’s currently housing a lot of other livestock. It will be really nice to get this tank back to what it’s intended purpose was, and potentially get a mantis (all though, the tank keeper is now considering scrapping the mantis idea, and thinking about adding a jaw fish to this tank.)

Tank 3 - IM Nuvo 80, lovingly named Mercury (because it’s atomic number is 80) will be our mixed reef.

Tank 4 - IM Nuvo 20 Peninsula, sticking with the atomic number theme, we’ve nicknamed this tank Calcium. 

We currently are at six (sorry, and thanks TK!), but hopefully by May, we’ll be down to just these 4. 

• Wow 1
ECLS Reefer
On 2/29/2020 at 8:52 PM, spectra said:

Sweeeeeet.........................condoms, life savers and chipotle sauce.............oh the tank is ok...................:wink:

um.... condom-mints hello..

10 hours ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

Not me... The tank keeper is going to be busy! lol Our goal now that I’ve talked the tank keeper in to the 365 tank, is to get to 4 tanks in the next couple of months. 

Tank 1 - ADA 60P Currently a mixed reef, but the goal is to get it consolidated in to the 80 gallon and reset it as an SPS dominant tank. 
Tank 2 - ADA 60P Is our rock flower tank, built with thought of adding a mantis to this tank, but it’s currently housing a lot of other livestock. It will be really nice to get this tank back to what it’s intended purpose was, and potentially get a mantis (all though, the tank keeper is now considering scrapping the mantis idea, and thinking about adding a jaw fish to this tank.)

Tank 3 - IM Nuvo 80, lovingly named Mercury (because it’s atomic number is 80) will be our mixed reef.

Tank 4 - IM Nuvo 20 Peninsula, sticking with the atomic number theme, we’ve nicknamed this tank Calcium. 

We currently are at six (sorry, and thanks TK!), but hopefully by May, we’ll be down to just these 4. 

I thought I was bad with 4 already, and a pond 

• Like 1
NoOneLikesADryTang

The tank keeper and I picked up a used 6 bulb ATI dimmable Sunpower T5 fixture, with Reef Bright supplemental LEDs to go over the 80 gallon tank today. We originally were planning on running three Hydra HD 26's that we all ready had for this tank, but we both like the look of T5's, and this sort of fell in our lap. It will be fun to experiment with this fixture, and see what kind of growth differences we see between this, and other tanks that are running only LEDs. Anyone here have any bulb recommendations? 

• Like 2
NoOneLikesADryTang

This week, tank keeper and I mostly settled on the scape of the tank, put sand in and started moving some live stock over to Mercury (the 80 gallon). Fortunately for us, this tank didn’t have a cycle at all because we kept all the rock live in bins and tanks we had. 

Today we visited our favorite LFS, and I picked up a couple zoa Frags, a beautiful bubble tip, and an orange and blue hammer. The tank keeper noticed a candy cane pistol shrimp, as he was bagging our hammer... So we couldn’t leave with out it. You know, if the tank keeper ain’t happy, ain’t no one happy! 

On our way home, the tank keeper asked what kind of goby I wanted to pair with it. I told TK I'd like to find a Yasha Goby (we don’t see those too often here). As I was resigning myself to settle for something else, the tank keeper asked if I want to go to the LFS closet to our house. I happily agreed, as it’s my second favorite LFS and much to my delight, they had a yasha goby! I don’t know if this was fate, luck, kismet, karma, coincidence or any other thing we like to use to rationalize events - but I’m very happy to have found a yasha so easily. 

In summary I think the words of lyrical genius, Ice Cube, best surmises the day. “Today, was a good day.” 

5C71DBBC-C0AC-4C84-A01A-76DC2359FB6E.jpeg

262F320B-A3A7-4D3B-A317-D8D723F45D26.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Wow 1

That is awesome. I love that combo. A shrimp goby pair is so much fun to watch . That shrimp will be a land scrapper and keep moving sand and making tunnels. The last one I had took any thing I put in the sand to his cave. 

• Like 1
NoOneLikesADryTang
2 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

That is awesome. I love that combo. A shrimp goby pair is so much fun to watch . That shrimp will be a land scrapper and keep moving sand and making tunnels. The last one I had took any thing I put in the sand to his cave. 

They are really fun! I hope that they found each other last night, once the lights went off. When I last saw them, they were on opposite end so the tank (isn’t this how it always goes?!) 

Some enchanted evening. You will meet a stranger. From across a crowded room.        (substitute tank for room)

Your probably to young. I bet some older people sang that song as they read it.

• Like 1

heck yeah!  great find "today was a good day" for sure.

such great gobies I have always wanted one too. in fact i dont think i have ever seen one in person. 😞  

NoOneLikesADryTang

The tank keeper went out of town, and brought home this beauty... It’s so fun when you share a hobby. I’m such a lucky guy, that the tank keeper is so amazing. 

5930EAFA-8205-4974-8282-7F4A14D5BA48.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Wow 6
This guy is extra salty
2 minutes ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

Lurkers are always welcome... You know, unless you’re in my bushes. The tank keeper doesn’t take well to someone messing with the tank keepers roses. 

I’m just trimming them 😂 

• Haha 3
7 hours ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

The tank keeper went out of town, and brought home this beauty... It’s so fun when you share a hobby. I’m such a lucky guy, that the tank keeper is so amazing. 

I love the colours on this,WOW. Is it a named piece? 

• Like 1
NoOneLikesADryTang
7 hours ago, Ratvan said:

I love the colours on this,WOW. Is it a named piece? 

It's just called a glitter goniopora. I'm sure eventually someone will name it, and charge quadruple on it. I can see it now, CB Sparkler or JF Fireworks - the name game is so silly. 

6 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

That is beautiful. The tank keeper takes good care of you.

Indeed. I'm very blessed with such a wonderful human as my person. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
On 3/9/2020 at 8:12 PM, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

Dang.....I love gonis I had some avapora a while back before the tank transfer crash, man I loved it. a dream of mine is a tank full of gonis is that a wild one or tank grown?

keep us updated on this beauty!  

• Like 1
NoOneLikesADryTang
56 minutes ago, devaji108 said:

Dang.....I love gonis I had some avapora a while back before the tank transfer crash, man I loved it. a dream of mine is a tank full of gonis is that a wild one or tank grown?

keep us updated on this beauty!  

I don’t know - I guess time will tell. The tank keeper has dreams of an alveopora forest tank one day. We’ve currently got 6 alveopora and goniopora, that will end up going in the 80 gallon tank soonish. 

• Like 3