SaltCritters.com

NoOneLikesADryTang

NoOneLikesADryTang
16 minutes ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

Epsom salt helps? 

Apparently it acts as a muscle relaxant, to ease the pressure if it’s just a constipation issue. The dose rate is one teaspoon to five gallons of water. Epsom salt is just magnesium sulfate, which shouldn’t cause any issues your tank. All though, it might raise your magnesium a little bit. We will just throw this quarantine water out when done. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

Apparently it acts as a muscle relaxant, to ease the pressure if it’s just a constipation issue. The dose rate is one teaspoon to five gallons of water. Epsom salt is just magnesium sulfate, which shouldn’t cause any issues your tank. All though, it might raise your magnesium a little bit. We will just throw this quarantine water out when done. 

Yeah we use mag sulfate or mag citrate to make humans poop. I had a wrasse a while back get swim bladder issues and couldn’t save him. I hope the laxative helps. 

• Like 1
NoOneLikesADryTang
5 minutes ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

Yeah we use mag sulfate or mag citrate to make humans poop. I had a wrasse a while back get swim bladder issues and couldn’t save him. I hope the laxative helps. 

Thanks! I’m encouraged since she looks much better today than she has.

I did feed Rod’s Saturday night, and it had some large shrimp pieces. I remember seeing her swimming around with one of the large pieces in her mouth, like a dog would with a bone (I thought it was super cute), so we’re hoping she’s just struggling to process that piece of food. 

12 minutes ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

Thanks! I’m encouraged since she looks much better today than she has.

I did feed Rod’s Saturday night, and it had some large shrimp pieces. I remember seeing her swimming around with one of the large pieces in her mouth, like a dog would with a bone (I thought it was super cute), so we’re hoping she’s just struggling to process that piece of food. 

I saw my target Mandy do that the other day. Thankfully it just made him fatter- May need to change his name to Sumo

• Haha 2
NoOneLikesADryTang
2 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

Glad to read that the treatment seems to be helping. I hope the wrasse has a full recovery for you.

Thanks Deb! I hope so too. She’s such a pretty fish, and she’s so chill. She just gets along with everyone. I had just noticed last week, that she’s learned that pods come out after the lights are off. I’ve seen her out hunting for them after everyone else has gone to bed. She used to hit the sand about half an hour before lights out, so she’s definitely adapting. 

• Like 2
On 8/7/2020 at 12:24 PM, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

Just a couple quick shots I took last night of Mercury, and the bubble tips. We’ve got three that really enjoy cuddling with each other, and one giant one that I wish would split. The rainbow (orange one) did a stroll through the whole tank last weekend, before deciding the water isn’t bluer on the other side of the tank, and cuddling back up with its friends. 

23D782F4-B3CE-4DB5-AA69-C786EB08EA9D.thumb.jpeg.a4ac048a5a1f2ef85378aaa323dcc6c9.jpeg

I’ve had to move a couple corals, because the giant BTA, was stinging them to death. It’s a beautiful species, but we’re losing about a 1/3 of the tank space because of these bubble tips. The clownfish sure love then though. 

7F42DCBB-661B-4E75-8E98-6612F2506484.thumb.jpeg.39c184c242abb44e23758b10f4bab825.jpeg

I may need to step up my game and try to talk @EfrainChicagoDeepdish in to setting up a bubble tip/clownfish tank. I’m guessing it’s more likely we’d see snow falling out of our window in July, before I could talk her in to a fifth tank. 

Also, here’s a side shot, because well, who doesn’t love a little side boob?! 

99B2CE47-E372-4DAB-AA11-404A1734F46E.thumb.jpeg.97c2491ba7ef690653a887dc0a212ab0.jpeg

I know I'm looking at older posts but I'm a new kid here in the communitty and spending pretty much all my spare time...reading here. 😂 With your tank having corals and anemones, is that something you would say a careful-reef beginner could tackle? Or since I plan on a low stocked 29g starting with 2 or 4 black ice clownfish, should I wait on any corals and get a RBT or 3 and let them settle before diving into corals. I know anemones are more sensitive than corals so many would say go corals first which was my original plan. Your guys look so healthy!

NoOneLikesADryTang
1 hour ago, EMichelle said:

I know I'm looking at older posts but I'm a new kid here in the communitty and spending pretty much all my spare time...reading here. 😂 With your tank having corals and anemones, is that something you would say a careful-reef beginner could tackle? Or since I plan on a low stocked 29g starting with 2 or 4 black ice clownfish, should I wait on any corals and get a RBT or 3 and let them settle before diving into corals. I know anemones are more sensitive than corals so many would say go corals first which was my original plan. Your guys look so healthy!

Please feel free to ask any questions you might have, regardless of when my original posting was. I’m always happy to answer, or help in any way I can. 

If you’re wanting to do a mixed reef, I would highly recommend doing corals first. Once your tank is cycled, I’d start with one or two “easier or starter” corals (mushrooms or zoas). 

Bubble tips generally need a tank with stable parameters. A lot of people say a year, but I think it can be done sooner than that, a long as your tank is stable. BTA’s will split, and propagate themselves, so it’s easy for them to quickly take over a nano tank. Fortunately, most LFS will take them in for store credit, or you can sell them to other hobbyists in your area. You should also be aware, that they have a brutal sting, and will kill most other corals in their way. They can and will also will take a stroll around your tank at any time, even after being happy in a particular spot for months. I’m not saying these things to scare you off of them, it’s just something you should be aware of, if you decide to go down the path of getting bubble tips for your tank. You should also be aware that there is no guarantee that your clowns will take to the anemone, and make it, it’s home. 

Please, at any time, ask questions. We were all new once, and had to learn as well. Most of this community is awesome, and happy to help. 

42 minutes ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

Please feel free to ask any questions you might have, regardless of when my original posting was. I’m always happy to answer, or help in any way I can. 

If you’re wanting to do a mixed reef, I would highly recommend doing corals first. Once your tank is cycled, I’d start with one or two “easier or starter” corals (mushrooms or zoas). 

Bubble tips generally need a tank with stable parameters. A lot of people say a year, but I think it can be done sooner than that, a long as your tank is stable. BTA’s will split, and propagate themselves, so it’s easy for them to quickly take over a nano tank. Fortunately, most LFS will take them in for store credit, or you can sell them to other hobbyists in your area. You should also be aware, that they have a brutal sting, and will kill most other corals in their way. They can and will also will take a stroll around your tank at any time, even after being happy in a particular spot for months. I’m not saying these things to scare you off of them, it’s just something you should be aware of, if you decide to go down the path of getting bubble tips for your tank. You should also be aware that there is no guarantee that your clowns will take to the anemone, and make it, it’s home. 

Please, at any time, ask questions. We were all new once, and had to learn as well. Most of this community is awesome, and happy to help. 

I can't manage to make a BTA live- like my handicap on elegances so far. My rose/black widow nem is slowly dying in the nem box where I managed to scoop him a week or so ago. Can't figure out how to save him 😢

• Sad 1
2 hours ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

Completely answered my question, thank you! Yes, I plan to start with a mushroom or a ducan and very slowly work my way up. I love how the brain corals look haha.

Yup, I know they move around and can sting/kill corals so people keep an eye and will move them as their anemone moves around. It's nice to know that whether I get a BTA or not, corals would be the suggested route first, even with the potential danger to the corals.

I've also heard of anemones eating smaller clowns which I was a bit shocked by. One of my friends had a baby clown and couldn't find him for weeks and ultimately decided the anemone had probably eaten him as there was nothing else in the tank other than hermit crabs and no skeleton could be found. Sad day.

• Like 1
NoOneLikesADryTang
28 minutes ago, EMichelle said:

Completely answered my question, thank you! Yes, I plan to start with a mushroom or a ducan and very slowly work my way up. I love how the brain corals look haha.

Yup, I know they move around and can sting/kill corals so people keep an eye and will move them as their anemone moves around. It's nice to know that whether I get a BTA or not, corals would be the suggested route first, even with the potential danger to the corals.

I've also heard of anemones eating smaller clowns which I was a bit shocked by. One of my friends had a baby clown and couldn't find him for weeks and ultimately decided the anemone had probably eaten him as there was nothing else in the tank other than hermit crabs and no skeleton could be found. Sad day.

I’m happy to hear that! Don’t be shy if you have questions. This community is here to help. 

BTA’s very rarely eat fish, and if they do, Ira usually a fish that was unhealthy and on its way out. A baby clown fish could have died, and his cleanup crew, did what they do (clean up!) before he could recover a carcass. Or it could have jumped, and never found a body. 

1 hour ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

I can't manage to make a BTA live- like my handicap on elegances so far. My rose/black widow nem is slowly dying in the nem box where I managed to scoop him a week or so ago. Can't figure out how to save him 😢

That sucks! Do you have any Cipro in hand? Or the ability to get any? It can help with sick anemones. 

It seems like we all have our handicaps, and things we just can’t keep in certain tanks. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

I’m happy to hear that! Don’t be shy if you have questions. This community is here to help. 

BTA’s very rarely eat fish, and if they do, Ira usually a fish that was unhealthy and on its way out. A baby clown fish could have died, and his cleanup crew, did what they do (clean up!) before he could recover a carcass. Or it could have jumped, and never found a body. 

That sucks! Do you have any Cipro in hand? Or the ability to get any? It can help with sick anemones. 

It seems like we all have our handicaps, and things we just can’t keep in certain tanks. 

The antibiotic cipro? No. 

NoOneLikesADryTang
8 hours ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

The antibiotic cipro? No. 

Yep. That’s the one. 250mg per 10 gallons of water. Change half the water after 12 hours of treatment. Do it for 7 days. It will usually save anemones if they’re sick. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

Yep. That’s the one. 250mg per 10 gallons of water. Change half the water after 12 hours of treatment. Do it for 7 days. It will usually save anemones if they’re sick. 

But where do you get it over the counter?

59 minutes ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

You can buy a product called Fish Flox, that’s OTC. There may be others, but that’s the one I’m familiar with. 

That’s safe for a mixed reef tank with fish and inverts?

• 2 weeks later...
NoOneLikesADryTang

Nothing real new to report. Our leopard wrasse is still alive, but she isn’t eating much. Super lethargic and can’t handle much flow. At this point, I’m resigned to the fact that she probably isn’t going to make it. 

Here’s September’s full tank shot of Calcium, the 20 gallon 365 tank. Nothing exciting here either - unless you call more hair (algae) in this tank than I have on my back exciting. [Change your RODI filters, boys and girls, or your tanks could look like this also! We definitely learned a lesson on this one.]  

C6219F03-55E2-459B-B619-F097C371C834.thumb.jpeg.5aaa648c6e91c41139aa14eb5b8aef8e.jpeg

I guess this what the tank keeper meant by low maintenance. We are down to zero Molly’s, and have an infestation of red plainarian worms. We may try to catch the crabs and let a wrasse run wild in this tank to clear them up. We haven’t decided on our best course of action yet. Until next time, you stay classy, Hair Algae. 

• Sad 2
NoOneLikesADryTang
9 hours ago, ef4life said:

Hopefully the leopard will pull through for you.

Thanks! She’s a fighter, and has done well... But it’s been 2 1/2 weeks, so I’m not hopeful at this point.

1 hour ago, debbeach13 said:

I forget are you manually removing and of the hair algae? I have good luck when I just pinch off what ever I can. Then the CUC gets the shorter remaining stuff.

We haven’t messed with this tank much. We’ve spent most of our time managing the other tanks algae outbreaks. We have been manually removing as much as we can, when possible. One of our challenges, is the predators in this tank, and the rock flower/mantis tank. The cleanup crews don’t last long in either tank. I did picked up a sea hare last weekend for the 80 gallon, to try and assist us. We are making progress, but what a pain. 

• Like 3
8 minutes ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

Thanks! She’s a fighter, and has done well... But it’s been 2 1/2 weeks, so I’m not hopeful at this point.

We haven’t messed with this tank much. We’ve spent most of our time managing the other tanks algae outbreaks. We have been manually removing as much as we can, when possible. One of our challenges, is the predators in this tank, and the rock flower/mantis tank. The cleanup crews don’t last long in either tank. I did picked up a sea hare last weekend for the 80 gallon, to try and assist us. We are making progress, but what a pain. 

Can I ask what you’re feeding her? 

• Like 1
EfrainChicagoDeepdish
10 hours ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

Nothing exciting here either - unless you call more hair (algae) in this tank than I have on my back exciting

Your back hair and the hair algae in this tank does have a mesmerizing sway in the "current".  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
25 minutes ago, EfrainChicagoDeepdish said:

Your back hair and the hair algae in this tank does have a mesmerizing sway in the "current".  

🤭

• Haha 1
58 minutes ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

How is your pod population in your tank? I noticed mine too late had decimated them and what i thought was supplemental feedings actually wasn't.