NoOneLikesADryTang

365: Two Tanks, One Thread - Some New Macro Photos

NoOneLikesADryTang
4 hours ago, ef4life said:

Sorry to hear about the fish loss, but those coral pics are great.

Thank you. I had fed, and was rearranging some stuff, so the pumps had been off half an hour or so. Everything looked so puffy and happy, so I had to snap some shots. 

• Like 1

NoOneLikesADryTang

The tank keeper is out of town on business this week, so you know what’s that means!

Its time to push the tank keepers sanity, right to the breaking point. This time, she’s bringing back some corals for me us, so I decided I wouldn’t  have any livestock surprises for her. However, that doesn’t mean I’m not going to jump up and down on her last nerve and try a new light.

Since I’ve all ready spent some serious coin on a Battle Box for this tank, I decided the Current Orbit Pros (They suck. Seriously. Don’t waste your money.) weren’t going to cut it. I’ve never used a Radion product, but that changes today. I went all in on a Radion XR30 Blue. It’s incredibly well built, and has a great form factor. The app that controls the light is user friendly and breeze to learn. The RMS mount however, sucks. I mean, it really sucks. The light has a serious lean, and I’m not talking the prison hooch I’ve seen be made on 60 Days In. The engineers that created this light mount must have grown up on Michael Jackson, and wanted their mount to match his gravity defying Smooth Criminal dance moves. I can’t believe this passed Ecotech’s quality control standards.

DC3F18D9-7133-47A0-9F55-AB924822542F.thumb.jpeg.80eb0c37a33af3c34244dceff6682e2b.jpeg

It looks much worse in person, than it does in my photos. This is even with a couple pieces of scrap acrylic placed in between the tank and the mount clamp to help with the lean. 

60BFDB12-AF67-4CE3-BC4F-A79FE00DE47E.thumb.jpeg.6d29eeb1429bcc4b2cab52b122d524f9.jpeg

Needless to say, I’ve ordered a ceiling hanging kit, and will put a couple more holes in the tank keepers ceiling, to get away from counting down the days until the light slips off the mount and in to the tank. 

Has it ever crossed your mind, “How the hell does he get away with those shenanigans?” Or, “why doesn’t the Tank Keeper just shut him down, and just tell him no?” Well, the answer for that can be found here

You see, the tank keeper has a soft spot for the misunderstood, and “pests”. I easily qualify as both. That’s not where the explanation ends though... It just so happens, that I tracked down a new polyclad for her, so for at least this trip, I’ve got quite the carte blanche to play with! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

debbeach13

Someone posted just a few days ago about this light. It did end up in the tank. I can not believe a top of the line light (price wise) comes with a crappy mount. 

NoOneLikesADryTang
3 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

Someone posted just a few days ago about this light. It did end up in the tank. I can not believe a top of the line light (price wise) comes with a crappy mount. 

It really is unfathomable how poorly engineered this mount is - and it's not like it was thrown in free with the light. It's a separate (expensive) purchase on an all ready expensive light.  It'd be like going out and buying a brand new BMW, and then having to pay a premium for crappy tires, that don't handle well in the rain. It's baffling to me. 

ef4life

That’s a heck of a light over that little tank but that mount - wow. Hopefully you can send that back. 

NoOneLikesADryTang

The tank keeper picked up our corals, and this conversation ensued. 

E3F2CA9A-EB72-4412-ACEE-D767593A8A34.thumb.jpeg.5d6b03722f7b91ea5692d1af81f303a9.jpeg

She knows she’s number one, followed very closely by corals. 

• Like 3

lizzyann

Love that trachy cuddle puddle!

• Like 2

NoOneLikesADryTang
12 hours ago, lizzyann said:

Love that trachy cuddle puddle!

Thanks! I’m really trying to talk myself out of going to a LFS today, that is having a sale on Trachy’s this weekend. 

PROS

I get to go to the local fish store. 
I get to buy new corals, to feed my addiction. 

Possibly pick up a new fish, to take up some of this empty swim space. 
More trachys for underwater snuggles. 

CONS

I have to explain to the tank keeper why I needed more corals after she was my coral mule this week, bringing home a hammer, three blastos and a couple of goni’s. I’m still working on an explanation, other than the often used, and much expected “Babe, don’t be mad.” Followed by my stammering through why this amphibious creature(s) just had to come home with me. 

giphy.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

NoOneLikesADryTang

The tank keeper is out of town for work again this week. Instead of being productive and doing any one of the dozen things that needs to be done around the house, I decided my time was better spent playing with the newish macro lens, that I haven’t gotten much use out of, while sipping Jameson.  

Booze + Camera + Open Water - Tank Keeper What could go wrong?

Goni’s and Alevoporas

EBD657D2-064C-4E6A-AD20-3F0562DFFFD8.thumb.jpeg.ceb261a3c58c0671852fd32d1ea4a0a4.jpeg

8505165D-04BA-468C-8AFD-240B75DEDD67.thumb.jpeg.ebf94e35d2bae43d6b5a1e97521cfd38.jpeg

A5DE17A0-5D4B-4B00-A41A-3FB68FEF2B1D.thumb.jpeg.06175ac922c945f8878297ad5f1fa3cb.jpeg

4DE8E2CD-1AF6-4AD6-B2B8-E96627F72869.thumb.jpeg.b7e481e7c186eaed74379b2fb5ac8260.jpeg

313435D4-C25C-4122-A10B-4EF1EC2D98C3.thumb.jpeg.83c69db03da1eca6d23703a8e57317ba.jpeg

Now for some uncomfortably close, close ups. 

An always hungry Cynarina (aka my spirit coral)

C0B4E0CD-C7CD-4D13-BEEA-08867068C6AD.thumb.jpeg.7570b2a8dfe997af14f4b730de79f7e6.jpeg

Fox Coral close up37CA6033-DA37-497F-9250-B521E8C8722A.thumb.jpeg.adc84f066c6a1009624ec4f95ee956ee.jpeg

My favorite part, of my favorite Trachy6493F578-69B4-4642-A1E0-551D33CAF698.thumb.jpeg.aa30ebbcfaf900ffb05fc1765021b520.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Wow 1

lizzyann

Those gonis are beautiful! Does this one have a name?

5 hours ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

A5DE17A0-5D4B-4B00-A41A-3FB68FEF2B1D.thumb.jpeg.06175ac922c945f8878297ad5f1fa3cb.jpeg

NoOneLikesADryTang
17 minutes ago, lizzyann said:

Those gonis are beautiful! Does this one have a name?

I got it from a LFS as a no name last spring. I think Ben (BSA Corals) calls it Flaming Starburst. It’s one of my favorites, the pinkish/purplish stem with the whitish/yellows tentacles really looks great together. Here’s another picture of it, from a different angle, next to the yellow eye Goni. This was with more whites on. 

C5AA8AA7-CEB3-4034-A971-620A28F281FF.thumb.jpeg.0d1b2ea9b88c0c8ceccaaa790db3cbae.jpeg

• Like 6

ef4life

Nice pics 👍 what camera/lens are you using?

• Like 1

NoOneLikesADryTang
1 hour ago, ef4life said:

Nice pics 👍 what camera/lens are you using?

Thank you. I’m still learning. I’d never used a dslr before, or really any sort of camera that wasn’t disposable (Am I dating myself?) or on a cell phone. I picked up an old Nikon D7100 off of offerup, and bought a Nikon 40mm macro lens off of eBay. I wasn’t happy with it, so I found a guy selling a Nikon 105mm macro on offerup. It’s a much better lens, at least as far as my limited capabilities can tell. I’ve still got lots to learn before I’ll be really happy with my picture taking ability, but it’s coming along. 

• Like 3

ef4life

I just bought my first canon dslr A few months back too, that’s the one thing I don’t have yet is a good macro lens. I have my eye on a used 35mm macro but I don’t think it’s going to be able to get close enough like a 90-100mm would be able to. 

• Like 1

ECLS Reefer
39 minutes ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

Thank you. I’m still learning. I’d never used a dslr before, or really any sort of camera that wasn’t disposable (Am I dating myself?) or on a cell phone. I picked up an old Nikon D7100 off of offerup, and bought a Nikon 40mm macro lens off of eBay. I wasn’t happy with it, so I found a guy selling a Nikon 105mm macro on offerup. It’s a much better lens, at least as far as my limited capabilities can tell. I’ve still got lots to learn before I’ll be really happy with my picture taking ability, but it’s coming along. 

When you know how to use it, the 40 is a very good lens especially for fish close ups. I use that lens for all of my fish pictures and lately the Laowa 50mm macro for corals 

• Like 2

NoOneLikesADryTang
12 hours ago, ef4life said:

I just bought my first canon dslr A few months back too, that’s the one thing I don’t have yet is a good macro lens. I have my eye on a used 35mm macro but I don’t think it’s going to be able to get close enough like a 90-100mm would be able to. 

If I had to do it over again I would just spend the extra money on longer focal length macro lens the first time. I rarely ever bust out the 40mm these days. 

12 hours ago, ECLS Reefer said:

When you know how to use it, the 40 is a very good lens especially for fish close ups. I use that lens for all of my fish pictures and lately the Laowa 50mm macro for corals 

Well now you’re making me think I should give the 40mm another try! I definitely am still a novice with this whole photo thing. How is that Laowa lens? Build quality? If you could do it all again, would you still buy it? 

ECLS Reefer
2 hours ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

If I had to do it over again I would just spend the extra money on longer focal length macro lens the first time. I rarely ever bust out the 40mm these days. 

Well now you’re making me think I should give the 40mm another try! I definitely am still a novice with this whole photo thing. How is that Laowa lens? Build quality? If you could do it all again, would you still buy it? 

The 50 is fantastic for corals where you have plenty of time to focus in and get macros. The 40 is automatic so it does better catching fish on higher lens speeds. The 50 is all manual, and a bit stiff to turn but turns out fantastic shots. @Cannedfish is using one now and I think he is digging it. 

kimberbee

You guys have done great with this tank! 

Don't forget to post your final tank shot and the 2-3 paragraph summary for the final entry by the 31st!!

Good luck!!

• Like 1

kimberbee

You still have a few hours to get your final submission done. I hope you can post to qualify for final voting!!

• Like 1

NoOneLikesADryTang

There’s nothing that drives the tank keeper crazier, than being late. To keep the theme of driving her absolutely bonkers this year, I figured there’s no better way than waiting to the last hour of the last day to remain eligible. The tank has gotten some nasty brown/rust colored algae, that’s now forming tan bubbles. It doesn’t seem to bother much, other than being incredibly ugly. We’ve only moved a few goni’s and a couple SPS Frags to this tank, and all seem fluffy and happy. We’ll continue to move over a piece or two a week, until this tank is full (pending the algae doesn’t turn in to an even browner, uglier mess, in which case we will probably put the frags back in the 80 gallon, and let the Arizona sun do what the Arizona sun does to the rocks, and start over.) 

Current Equipment 

• IM 20 Gallon Peninsula, with 326gph Mighty Jet return pump 
  • Radion Gen 5 XR30 Blue
  • Cobalt Neo-Therm 100w heater
  • AI Nero 3 wave maker 

2C6E540C-6AEB-452E-881B-3F16793DFCC3.thumb.jpeg.c028ec7af40f57d79576788cf32346a2.jpeg

A6FEEEF7-3A0E-4CE4-AE78-09796710AA88.thumb.jpeg.264ba36a5aa501621a3ea65c9fa9142c.jpeg

Currently the only fish resident is a File Fish (Teaser - the tank keeper has a great idea for the next challenge with this fish). He got moved to this tank, when I thought he was eating euphyllia in our 80 gallon tank. With some time, and banishment, I believe him to be innocent. He shall now be called Andy Dufresne from here on out. 

All though this tank has been fairly uneventful this year, I have enjoyed being a part of this contest, on my favorite little slice of the interwebz. Thank you @Christopher Marks for making this such a great community for those of us passionate about this hobby. Thank you everyone on Nano-Reef, who has followed along, even though the tank updates have been fairly boring. I hope I somehow made it at least mildly entertaining to read my antics in driving the tank keeper to drink. All the while, displaying my prepubescent teenage boy humor intertwined throughout this build thread. 

I have am certain this tank will not win any awards, nor should it. I would like to formally appeal to the voters, that @debbeach13, who started her build thread a few days late to qualify officially for the competition, be considered for the Friendly Competition Award. Over the last year, I couldn’t look at a build thread, without seeing her kind words of encouragement. It’s people like her that makes this community so wonderful. I really hope an exception can be made for her to qualify for a bonus CM award. 

Lastly, but certainly not least, thank you @EfrainChicagoDeepdish for being my better, and funnier (her claim, not mine) half. There is no one I’d rather go on reefing adventures with. Thank you for introducing me to this hobby, and this website. Thank you for letting us enter this competition this year, even though I know you really didn’t want to take on an additional tank. You are the epitome of love. I am so blessed to be on this journey called life with you. I love you  with all of my heart. 

• Like 5

debbeach13

Congratulations! Your posts almost always make me laugh. It has been a lot of fun following your tank. Thank you for the kind words. Good luck with the contest.

• Like 3