Cultivated Reef

365 Day Challenge Nuvo 10

5*Chris

Time to put my Nuvo 10 to better use. I was telling my wife about the challenge, and my kids said they'd help me win. Not sure if it was to win the challenge or in convincing my wife to agree to this, which she did, so we've already won. On to the tank...

I've had it basically as a holding tank for a BTA that moved around too much in my main tank and Benny my coral destroying lawnmower blenny. Emptied it this morning, added new Hawaiian black sand, and put Benny and the BTA back in with it's rock until I get the scape figured out, find both occupants new homes, and getting my daughter to stop crying about Benny leaving. 

So far

Nuvo 10, sitting beautifully on the stand I made for my Lagoon 25.

Sicce 1.0 return pump

RFG nozzle

Finnex heater

Asta 20(upgrade here, just not complete 😁)

More to come, and good luck to everyone! 

IMG_20200229_094504.jpg

MVIMG_20200229_102730.jpg

• Like 1
1 hour ago, 5*Chris said:

and getting my daughter to stop crying about Benny leaving. 

I know I know - Keep him.  Crown Royal Peach over vanilla ice cream yum. Good luck with your tank and the contest.

• Like 1

Started on my light upgrade 😁. First time doing a led fixture, and because of that I've already messed up the led driver 😫. Got new drivers and a dimming module coming to use until I can get my Reef-Pi up and running. 

IMG_20200229_203138.jpg

IMG_20200229_220817.jpg

The new drivers and Makersled 2up dimmer module came in today. Just finished up building the new light and tested it over the tank, I'll get it hung tomorrow. Beautiful spectrum...and bright, glad I got the dimmer, and very happy I went with the BlueAcro led. 

IMG_20200307_222442.jpg

IMG_20200307_222525.jpg

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Well got some things moved around. Got the new new lol, my daughter is overly happy with this. NanoRox you bad mofo you! Very much appreciated!! Also already picked up some corals for the tank, they are currently sitting in my 29. So the 10 only has a small rock with Gsp and a small Xenia frag so far. IMG_20200406_073150.thumb.jpg.9eb0e5111c60e48d6ca2df2ffb2a18f7.jpgIMG_20200406_073132.thumb.jpg.d07871a75d7b6cd3c5178a98eb30ea82.jpg

• Like 3
42 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

Fantastic. I will be following Can't believe I wasn't. Looking forward to more updates. Are you planning any fish?

Thank you. As far as fish go, we're looking first for a Yasha goby pair. Then maybe a nice designer clown. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Reefkid88 said:

How are you liking the BlueAcro array ? 

I really like it, very much love the spectrum. I think it's perfect for the Nuvo 10 with the single array and only run them both at 50% on the dimmer. Once I get my next tank up and running I plan on purchasing a par meter so I can get some numbers. I do wish I would've went with the slim makersled heat sink.

On my 29g I use a Hydra 26hd on the "Pirates of the Caribbean" setting, so heavy purple/blues, which I love. But 1:1 on the BlueAcro array looks great, it looks more natural but with the same coral pop. I've even thought about either doing another diy setup using blueAcro arrays or Hydra with t5s or Orphek bars for my next tank. 

I have talked with the main guy at BA about par and got him to list 2 values on the site but that was it lol with and without the diffuser. 

I have wanted to get 2 of them to use over a sps pico,but I built a light instead using a NanoBox Reef v3.1 array outlined with violets instead. 

Honestly,I would do a T5 Orphek or ReefBreeders led bar hybrid. 2 or 4 bulb fixture,depending on how wide of a tank you would/are running 2 ReefBrite Supra's and 2 led bars would be awesome for bulb selection. 

2 bulb I would do Coral+ and Blue+ with a pimped ReefBreeder led bar or a Orphek Royal/Violet bar. 

4 bulb would be 2 B+,1 C+ and maybe a an Actinic then 2 royal/violet led bars. 

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Reefkid88 said:

I have talked with the main guy at BA about par and got him to list 2 values on the site but that was it lol with and without the diffuser. 

I have wanted to get 2 of them to use over a sps pico,but I built a light instead using a NanoBox Reef v3.1 array outlined with violets instead. 

Honestly,I would do a T5 Orphek or ReefBreeders led bar hybrid. 2 or 4 bulb fixture,depending on how wide of a tank you would/are running 2 ReefBrite Supra's and 2 led bars would be awesome for bulb selection. 

2 bulb I would do Coral+ and Blue+ with a pimped ReefBreeder led bar or a Orphek Royal/Violet bar. 

4 bulb would be 2 B+,1 C+ and maybe a an Actinic then 2 royal/violet led bars. 

Thanks for the info. My next tank is a 40b that will take the place of my 29g (29g will turn into the sump). So I planned on keeping the Hydra and supplementing that or going to with a BA setup and supplementing that. 

But after reading your post I started thinking that might be a better route. I could get two RB lumenbars for the price of another Hydra and sell my Hydra for a dual bulb t5 fixture. Or I could just get 3 lumenbars and call it a day. I guess I have more thinking to do lol. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/21/2020 at 12:42 PM, kimberbee said:

So this is where Te Fiti went!! 

She looks so good in there!  (shamelessly patting my own back).  lol 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • 2 months later...
4 hours ago, kimberbee said:

How is Te Fiti doing? 

You missed a couple updates, so I'm hoping you've still got this tank up and running!!

Yeah, it's still up and running. Between Covid and my other tank, I thought about breaking this tank down. But I decided I need to refocus and get going. So...

A couple days ago I pulled a lot of the sand out to lower Te Fiti in the tank, she takes up a good amount of space. I also moved her over a little to open up more room on one side. I redid the light back to the original huge heatsink, the acrylic splash guard on the new heatsink started to bubble 🤦🏽‍♂️. I'll be adding more corals over the next couple weeks and hopefully get caught back up.

We added a couple clowns, named Pua and HayHay. The Duncan(currently not happy with recent changes, but up to 7 heads), the GSP, and Xenias have been growing pretty quickly. 

MVIMG_20200705_151352.thumb.jpg.425afe6e1622c462bf9fb2a6e0f4436c.jpg

• Like 1
2 hours ago, NanoRox said:

awe...hope Te Fiti is not taken down.  She needs a home.  😉

She's not going anywhere, when I was making the changes to the tank we made eye contact and with her eyes she told me she wanted more corals 😂

• Haha 2