Pod Your Reef

Seafurn's Old School Pico Gets An Upgrade - 365 Day Challenge

SeaFurn

I had my hammer/frogspawn revive after looking close to that. It’s taken months but it’s almost back to as good as it ever was. I hope it pulls through for you.

but your tank is looking great. I Really like that bubblegum digi, I just bought a nice frag of it for myself a couple weeks back, I’m not sure if it’s going in my competition pico or not yet, I already have a small frag if blue digi in there and it’s starting to show some white growth tips but the color is just dull, hopefully it gets better.

• Like 2
10 hours ago, ef4life said:

I already have a small frag if blue digi in there and it’s starting to show some white growth tips but the color is just dull, hopefully it gets better.

Honestly I'm not sure what the key to getting blue digis to color up is, I have a piece that is fluffy and growing-fast myself, but the color is never that bright, metallic blue they're supposed to get. Always kind of a muted dark blue with a brown undertone, could be that what I got wasn't actually a German blue Digi to begin with though.

Have to agree with you the bubblegum Digi in this system looks amazing, definitely the best-looking Digi morph out there.

• Like 2
19 hours ago, This guy is extra salty said:

not the shark nose!!!

you need a lid...:naughtydance:

Dude - I'm so bummed.  I do need a lid. Just haven't had time to get one and the goby had never seemed to be a crazy jumper.   The tank is much less interesting without him in there.  With so many issue with the corals he was always the bright spot.  

7 hours ago, Amphrites said:

Have to agree with you the bubblegum Digi in this system looks amazing, definitely the best-looking Digi morph out there.

Thanks!  It's been pretty resilient to all my f-ups for sure. Definitely the best looking coral in the tank!

• Like 1

Day 28

Still can't believe the goby is gone.  😭  RIP little buddy.

49706153992_e2765ab44f_b.jpg

And the frogspawn has been looking pretty bad today too.  It's starting to look the hammer did when it started getting bad.  There's little color in the tentacles and the fleshy part near the base where it gets stony is very dark...not the pink flesh I'm used to seeing.   So I did another 5 cup water change (8%) today.  I had already planned to change some water but not that much.   

Does anyone know how elevated potassium affects LPS?   I don't have a potassium test kit but I thinking it might be elevated because of the nitrogen I'm dosing. I'm using Seachem nitrogen which appears to be derived from potassium nitrate which makes me think it's elevating K levels when it ultimately breaks down...i think.  (my chemistry mind is somewhere on quarantine)

I was also reading about ESV B-ionic nitrate which is just calcium nitrate.  So it breaks down into calcium carbonate which the tank can use.  I'm thinking I'd be better off using that.

So now I'm hesitant to dose the nitrogen.   

22 minutes ago, Amphrites said:

I doubt potassium is doing anything, but your monti's probably appreciate it, have you dipped looking for flatworms?

Holy S! There is something eating at it at its base. WTF! Will try to get a pic. 

What the H is this thing? It looks like a spider. And more importantly how do I get rid of it?

(Click into the picture for a more clear view)

49705494843_eb3fc2719a_b.jpg

• Sad 1
  • Wow 1

I did a quick search and found tinyreef's thread from 2005. You can't make comments on it any more and most of the photos were from photo bucket so they are gone. Which is too bad because it was a great tank. I could not find a sun lite tank from Mr. Fosi although his other tanks came up. He must have just been active in the others members sun lite tanks.

Day 29

So disregard the picture above. I think it was just debris hanging down from the underside of the coral along with some other tiny little worms. 

Below is what was under the frogspawn eating away at!!  It’s some kind of red worm and it has tons of these little tentacles that it fans out or pulls in next to its body. Pretty creepy. And, on top of that,  I peeked into the tank late last night with a flashlight and I saw this red thing swirling in the water column. I sucked it out and it turns out it was the same thing I pulled from under the frogspawn this morning. So now I’m freaking out that there are even more in the tank. Any one know what these are? They don’t look like the pics of flatworms I’ve seen. 

49707712583_7bc0b4752a_b.jpg49708244571_9ef9667785_b.jpg

But I did dip the frogspawn and inspected under a magnifying glass. I didn’t see anything other than the worm I was able to pull off when I first broke it off the rock. 

After the dip I glued it to a frag plug and it’s in the front of the tank where I can monitor it. It looks like it’s opening up a little already. 

I also looked all around the tank last night with a magnifying glass while the lights were off but shining a light. Big mistake. There is so much creepy tiny stuff it there that I have no idea what it is. I had a hard time falling asleep after that. 

I did find an aptasia in one of the new zoas so now I have to figure out how to get rid of that. 

• Sad 1
  • Wow 1
2 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

I did a quick search and found tinyreef's thread from 2005. You can't make comments on it any more and most of the photos were from photo bucket so they are gone. Which is too bad because it was a great tank. I could not find a sun lite tank from Mr. Fosi although his other tanks came up. He must have just been active in the others members sun lite tanks.

Thanks for checking on that. I may look for that one tank I mentioned above. I’ll let you know if I find it. 

Lots to do with this tank first though.

Need to jump over to your thread and see how things are going for you. 

I mean that looks like a spaghetti worm which might annoy it but not eat it, supposedly medusa worms can develop a taste for soft-corals and lps over time. Weird, hopefully you got all of whatever was on the animal off.

• Like 1
On 3/28/2020 at 12:58 PM, Amphrites said:

I mean that looks like a spaghetti worm which might annoy it but not eat it, supposedly medusa worms can develop a taste for soft-corals and lps over time. Weird, hopefully you got all of whatever was on the animal off.

Yeah, you can see how the rock at the base of the coral had been eaten  away and then part of the skeleton of the coral had been eaten away. I didn’t think spaghetti worms would do that. I sure hope I got them all too. 

Day 30

Got the Nanobox Mini Tide hooked up today! I’ll share my settings later this week if anyone is interested. Right now, I think I’m running less par than the bulb provided but that’s just me being careful not cook everything. I’ll ramp it up a little each week for a few weeks. I am running more white than the bulb provided so it’s giving the tank a slightly different look. I do like the size of the light relative to the dimensions of the tank. It’s all way more aesthetically pleasing! 

• Like 2

Day 31

The corals seem to be responding well to the new light and the current settings. 

The frogspawn is still not fully recovered from the dip or whatever it is ailing from. The usual water parameters that I check are all ok so it’s gotta be something else. 

A couple of questions. Why do just a couple of zoas stay closed up tightly but extend stretching upward while all the others in the tank are open laying flat? I know it’s not for lack of light. I’ve never understood why they do that. 

Second, is it possible to remove an acan from its frag plug without damaging it? I really dislike the fat frag plug the acan I have is on and I’d like to glue it directly to the rock. It seems like I could slide a razor blade under it but I’m guessing it’s not that straightforward. This acan has grown from just a tiny little piece so I think it’s pretty encrusted to its frag plug - like it’s part of it. Any tips? 

This guy is extra salty
22 minutes ago, SeaFurn said:

Second, is it possible to remove an acan from its frag plug without damaging it? I really dislike the fat frag plug the acan I have is on and I’d like to glue it directly to the rock. It seems like I could slide a razor blade under it but I’m guessing it’s not that straightforward. This acan has grown from just a tiny little piece so I think it’s pretty encrusted to its frag plug - like it’s part of it. Any tips? 

You can, I would use a small flat head screw driver to pry between the coral and plug.

just try not to stab your hand

2 hours ago, SeaFurn said:

I despise frag plugs and removed five acan frags from the plug with a large set of bone cutters. Set the flat part on the top of the frag plug with the cutter on the glue and it pops the acan off easily. 

• Like 1
22 hours ago, This guy is extra salty said:

You can, I would use a small flat head screw driver to pry between the coral and plug.

just try not to stab your hand

21 hours ago, Gravity said:

I despise frag plugs and removed five acan frags from the plug with a large set of bone cutters. Set the flat part on the top of the frag plug with the cutter on the glue and it pops the acan off easily. 

This acan grew from such a tiny piece that it’s probably like part of the frag plug...so, I’m really worried that it won’t just pop off or can be pried off. 

I’ve had some before that I could do just what you’re both saying. 

Is it worth trying or just leave it be? 

22 minutes ago, SeaFurn said:

This acan grew from such a tiny piece that it’s probably like part of the frag plug...so, I’m really worried that it won’t just pop off or can be pried off. 

If you can’t get it off you could always cut around the frag as close as you can get. 

• Like 1
This guy is extra salty
50 minutes ago, SeaFurn said:

at least you can cut the frag plug stem lol

40 minutes ago, SeaFurn said:

Day 32 

3/31/2020 FTS

49721708588_7114451c65_b.jpg

and that tank totally looks photoshopped

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, This guy is extra salty said:

at least you can cut the frag plug stem lol

Way ahead of ya Salty. 

3 minutes ago, This guy is extra salty said:

and that tank totally looks photoshopped

Totally. But if it was you can bet that I would have included some blazing corals inside the tank - not real ones! 😂😂

• Haha 2
This guy is extra salty
4 minutes ago, SeaFurn said:

Way ahead of ya Salty. 

Totally. But if it was you can bet that I would have included some blazing corals inside the tank - not real ones! 😂😂

Lol i need some blazing Corals and I’m not good at photoshop either, But now we all know... 

tank is looking good btw

• Thanks 1

Day 33

I’m really struggling tonight posting something about the tank or the hobby when there are so many people out there who are so sick and dying. It’s a very scary time. 

For me, posting has been a nice escape from reality, but tonight, I want to face reality and say that all of you and your families are in my thoughts and prayers and I hope we can all get through this. 

• Like 3
  • SeaFurn changed the title to Seafurn's Old School Pico Gets An Upgrade - 365 Day Challenge