SeaFurn

Seafurn's Old School Pico Gets An Upgrade - 365 Day Challenge

A.m.P

What side effects are you concerned about, I'm fairly certain it's just potassium nitrate.

SeaFurn
8 hours ago, Amphrites said:

What side effects are you concerned about, I'm fairly certain it's just potassium nitrate.

Yeah - it contains soluable potash. AND so does the phosphorus I dose to raise phosphates (Seachem Phosphorus). So my concern is increased levels of potassium with dosing these freshwater planted tank additives. I don’t test for potassium and honestly, I’m ignorant to the effects of increased levels. I should probably read up on it but thought I’d ask the question here. 

A.m.P
1 hour ago, SeaFurn said:

Yeah - it contains soluable potash. AND so does the phosphorus I dose to raise phosphates (Seachem Phosphorus). So my concern is increased levels of potassium with dosing these freshwater planted tank additives. I don’t test for potassium and honestly, I’m ignorant to the effects of increased levels. I should probably read up on it but thought I’d ask the question here. 

Potassium supposedly depletes pretty quickly, some say it's part of the key to happy monti's and dose it by itself.

• Like 1

SeaFurn

Day 116

This is exciting! Unless my eyes are playing tricks on me, it looks like this ricordea is starting to get a little orange/pink to it.

50039264727_5a947c030e_b.jpg

• Like 4

SeaFurn

Day 117

50042343871_5d24a1a81f_b.jpg

• Like 6

Tired

Stunning!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ratvan
7 hours ago, SeaFurn said:

Day 117

50042343871_5d24a1a81f_b.jpg

Gorgeous I love the pop of the Greens, Yellows and Oranges. 

That Ric is crazy bright though

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

SeaFurn

Day 118

I’ve got a nice green fuzz growing all over the glass. I should probably do some scraping but I gotta keep that dwarf cerith snail army fed! 😂 There’s also enough of it now that the hermit crab can walk up the side of the glass! I’m just glad it’s not GHA or that red cyano that had plagued the tank early in the year. So I guess even though nitrates and phosphates are continually low, there’s enough to get some green stuff to grow.

I’ve got a trip planned to see some family coming up in a week or so. I’m a little uneasy about it given the problem I ran into the last trip with the salinity swing. I know that won’t happen again, but I still need to get the tank sitter prepared to spot problems. So that’s upcoming on the agenda for me. 

• Like 2

SeaFurn

Day 119

Sucked up another red spaghetti worm swirling around in the water column today. It was small. First one I’ve seen in a couple of weeks. 

Psammocora was looking a little rough today. It has lost some tissue at its base over the last couple of weeks. I’m hoping the polyps are just retracted and it’s not going the way of the stylo and the digi. So, I changed some water, the floss and did a couple of water tests. Everything checked out where it normally does.  (Nitrates 2; Phos undetectable; Alk 9.6)

Also cleaned the pump. That kicked up the flow a notch

Photo in day light lighting

50048871121_4a14757bc2_b.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

SeaFurn

Day 120

UH OH!! A tip on the acro was white when I woke up this morning. I was kinda expecting this might happen since all the other SPS has pretty much bit it. It doesn’t seem to have gotten any worse over the course of the day. I’ve never seen STN from the tips - only from the bottom up. Is this pretty common? Could it be anything else? 

Tested the water again today and it’s the same as yesterday. 

Any advice?

50051575261_5074b4a4f0_b.jpg

• Sad 1

A.m.P

That's a couple of tips and it does look like stn, I'm wondering if you have too much, or too direct flow? (The psammo looks like it's having tissue potentially blown off it) From the tips is supposedly from alk swings, otherwise I'm really not sure at all - hopefully someone more experienced can chime in.

• Like 1

SeaFurn
2 hours ago, Amphrites said:

That's a couple of tips and it does look like stn, I'm wondering if you have too much, or too direct flow? (The psammo looks like it's having tissue potentially blown off it) From the tips is supposedly from alk swings, otherwise I'm really not sure at all - hopefully someone more experienced can chime in.

Yeah the pump was really cranking it out after I cleaned it. The acro wasn’t taking a direct hit but the psammocora was getting it pretty good.  Maybe I didn’t get the volume control slider set to the same place it had been prior to the cleaning. I turned it down tonight. 

I wouldn’t think the 2.5 cup water change yesterday would cause that much of an alk swing. So I don’t know. It hasn’t gotten worse but let’s see what it looks like in the morning. 

• Like 2

SeaFurn
5 hours ago, Amphrites said:

it does look like stn

Does STN ever just stop on it’s own or am I going to have to frag it to try and save it if it continues? 

• Like 1

A.m.P
9 hours ago, SeaFurn said:

Does STN ever just stop on it’s own or am I going to have to frag it to try and save it if it continues? 

Mixed opinions on that, could try covering the receding tips in super glue, others try lugols, most will frag if it's a larger colony. 
I'm not sure how successful anything is with smaller frags, I would think trying to clean some of the dead tissue and glue over it would likely be the least stressful option for the animal, but non-intervention might still work better. 
I don't have enough hands-on experience honestly, just a dump of "What I've read and been told", maybe send someone like mittenreef a PM and ask?

• Like 2

SeaFurn
1 hour ago, Amphrites said:

Mixed opinions on that, could try covering the receding tips in super glue, others try lugols, most will frag if it's a larger colony. 
I'm not sure how successful anything is with smaller frags, I would think trying to clean some of the dead tissue and glue over it would likely be the least stressful option for the animal, but non-intervention might still work better. 
I don't have enough hands-on experience honestly, just a dump of "What I've read and been told", maybe send someone like mittenreef a PM and ask?

It had progressed some overnight so I went ahead and snipped the little piece off and superglued over it trying to be as neat as I could. I’ve gone with the non-intervention before so thought I’d try this. 

I really have nothing to lose.

Just so frustrated. 

Thanks for your continued advice. I really appreciate it. 

50054079553_2c55d1a161_b.jpg

• Like 2

SeaFurn

Day 121

👎🏼 I don’t think the super glue rescue did the trick. Looks like the STN creeped up under the glue anyway. Will give it a couple more days but such a bummer.  The cyphastrea is still hanging in there but I don’t have high hopes for that one either. 

I guess the positive is I know what caused the losses, which is better than not knowing, but it still sucks just the same. Will probably not add anything new for quite awhile. 

• Sad 2

SeaFurn

Day 122

Enough bad news over the last couple of day, so how about some good news? The acan has shown excellent growth, the frogspawn is recovering more tentacles, and there are several new baby zoa polyps popping up. Even the hammer has been looking pretty good.

I’ve also been thinking that if I lose the all the SPS, I may fill the rocks on the left side of the tank with zoas too! Who would have ever thought I would consider that? 

Another thought I had - should I move everything to my empty IM10 - for stability sake?  I really like the size of the 4 gal tank relative to the size of the rock scape better, but I’m not sure I have the skills for such a small tank. I didn’t have nearly as many problems with my reefbowl (2.5 gal) so I don’t really understand why this tank has been so challenging for me. 

• Like 1

debbeach13

Upsizing could make things easier but not always and only you can decide that one. Four months is still pretty young for a reef tank and even with the good and bad you have a very nice tank right now. Trying new types of corals brings new demand. Mixed reefs are hard different corals have different needs and that delicate balance is a challenge. Plus they don't always get along. What ever you think will give you the most enjoyment is what matters. 

• Like 2

A.m.P

Upsizing from my Atoll to the 20 long cost me allot of animals and the tank's been on the struggle bus since, making me exceedingly hesitant to get it off the countertop its' currently on (despite really needing to do so).

Things may still just be balancing out for you right now and there's no guarantee bigger will be better or easier.

• Like 4

SeaFurn

Day 123

It’s been a rough month - but here are a couple of monthly FTS’s - one with more white/natural light and one under the blues. Bummer the acro is STNing and won’t be there for next month’s.

50062991578_f1b30e009a_b.jpg50063809692_f04dab6a6e_b.jpg

• Like 5

SeaFurn

Day 124

Heading out of town tomorrow for a few days over the holiday weekend. 

In preparation for that, today I tested the water, topped off the RODI container, changed the floss, and walked through all the instructions with the tank sitter, who has watched the tanks before. She is a junior in high school, a good responsible student, and loves the fish and anemones. The corals have her a little worried but I told her not too - there wasn’t much for her to do.  Fingers crossed everything goes smoothly. 🤞🏻

• Like 4

ECLS Reefer
6 minutes ago, SeaFurn said:

Day 124

Heading out of town tomorrow for a few days over the holiday weekend. 

In preparation for that, today I tested the water, topped off the RODI container, changed the floss, and walked through all the instructions with the tank sitter, who has watched the tanks before. She is a junior in high school, a good responsible student, and loves the fish and anemones. The corals have her a little worried but I told her not too - there wasn’t much for her to do.  Fingers crossed everything goes smoothly. 🤞🏻

I had a tank sitter that was a high school senior and she always did a great job. Still use her occasionally when she’s on break from school (of course she may be doing online college at this point). I bet your tank sitter will do a great job!

• Like 3

SeaFurn
22 hours ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

I had a tank sitter that was a high school senior and she always did a great job. Still use her occasionally when she’s on break from school (of course she may be doing online college at this point). I bet your tank sitter will do a great job!

I do too. Not worried. She is extremely careful and observant and that’s what I like about her. She always asks questions if she sees anything strange or is unsure of what to do instead of just guessing.

• Like 2

SeaFurn

Day 125

On a little weekend vacation to see family in OH. Drove through part of your beautiful state @WV Reefer.

So this is one thing I’ve got the tank sitter keeping her eye on - how much the water level rises in the first chamber and how that changes salinity. It’s already pretty high and that’s with clean filter floss. That’s because the pump is pretty strong and chamber design limits the flow. Add to that floss that becomes more clogged daily - which causes the water level to rise - which causes water level in the second chamber to drop below the top off sensor -which causes the ATO to slowly keep adding water to the second chamber to keep it level with sensor. Adding enough water over time could change the salinity - or worse, completely overflow the tank if the floss got too clogged. 

You can see I’ve moved the ATO fill tube to the second chamber now so I don’t run into the problem that happened the last time I was away. The tank sitter can use the Hanna checker to make sure salinity doesn’t change and if it does she can replace the floss. 

I thought about just running it dirty (no floss at all) while I was away but let’s see how this goes. 

50069910353_ea1ba13093_b.jpg

• Like 4

SeaFurn

Day 126 (Vacation - Day 2)

Tank sitter texted that everything looks good. She also sent this pic of the water level. Looks good - hasn’t changed much from yesterday. 

50073247893_b53a186e93_b.jpg

• Like 3