ReefCleaners.org

Seafurn's Old School Pico Gets An Upgrade - 365 Day Challenge

SeaFurn

This guy is extra salty
31 minutes ago, SeaFurn said:

Day 33

I’m really struggling tonight posting something about the tank or the hobby when there are so many people out there who are so sick and dying. It’s a very scary time. 

For me, posting has been a nice escape from reality, but tonight, I want to face reality and say that all of you and your families are in my thoughts and prayers and I hope we can all get through this. 

We will all get through this pandemic, everyone needs to do their part. You know it’s serious when a hospital uses their own ambulances as delivery trucks71F13C78-71F4-4323-A815-F3B00DF13496.thumb.jpeg.57a1a01d2565b4d29601c77351bf8d75.jpeg

All production had shifted gears to making PPE for “essential workers”

A8F6E3FF-5038-45E3-BDF8-976CDF9E2769.thumb.jpeg.3a9c37f990964870dac9103842e0d4dc.jpeg10442ACE-530D-45FE-973D-41FB56C0A04F.thumb.jpeg.5b1b80599e1cdfd5b8d7ac70d6c9d93f.jpeg

we are all weak individually, but we’re strong  together. 

Keep your daily posts going, I feel like I need to catch up with my build thread.

• Like 2

I know what you mean. I want to stay positive and pray that soon there is a vaccine and equipment to treat the sick. I feel a little guilty that I really can't do any thing to help except stay home so as not to catch and spread any thing. I hope you and all the people you love come out of this healthy. I wish every one would.

22 hours ago, This guy is extra salty said:

Keep your daily posts going, I feel like I need to catch up with my build thread.

Amen brother! Keep doing what you’re doing. 

Yes, I’ll keep posting and you too!

• Like 1
15 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

I know what you mean. I want to stay positive and pray that soon there is a vaccine and equipment to treat the sick. I feel a little guilty that I really can't do any thing to help except stay home so as not to catch and spread any thing. I hope you and all the people you love come out of this healthy. I wish every one would.

Thank you. Well staying home is all

the rage! Keep it up! 

Day 34

Frogspawn still under the weather. I think I might dip it again tomorrow. Can’t hurt right? 

49729387011_4dac8e9e52_b.jpg

Update on the hammer (recovering in the 45). Some improvement - 

49728839533_a9b037555b_b.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Day 35

Well, I dipped the frogspawn again today. First in Bayer, which is what I normally use. And then again in freshwater for a minute or two for good measure. That may not have been the best idea, but I didn’t want to be left wondering if it worked. 

Then, when it was back in the tank, I saw what I thought were worms starting to come out of it. 

49731133808_8b673eb9ea_b.jpg

A big thanks to @WV Reefer and @Tamberav for setting this newbie straight by letting me know what I was seeing were mesenterial filaments and that it was just really really pissed off from the dip. (And yes, I had to look that up afterward). 

I’m guessing it will be days before it returns to the way it looked last night (pic in previous post).  I hope. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
3 minutes ago, SeaFurn said:

Day 35

Well, I dipped the frogspawn again today. First in Bayer, which is what I normally use. And then again in freshwater for a minute or two for good measure. That may not have been the best idea, but I didn’t want to be left wondering if it worked. 

Then, when it was back in the tank, I saw what I thought were worms starting to come out of it. 

49731133808_8b673eb9ea_b.jpg

A big thanks to @WV Reefer and @Tamberav for setting this newbie straight by letting me know what I was seeing were mesenterial filaments and that it was just really really pissed off from the dip. (And yes, I had to look that up afterward). 

I’m guessing it will be days before it returns to the way it looked last night (pic in previous post).  I hope. 

Hopefully it comes around. 🤞🏻

• Like 1

Day 37

Took care of that one aiptasia I found earlier this week (or was it last) today. I used an eye glass screwdriver to scrape it into non-existence and then I hit it with hydrogen peroxide. I had the entire rock out of the tank which made it all pretty easy. While I had it out,  I reglued a couple of the zoas. But...I think I put one too close to another so I may have to move it again. I just need to stop messing. 

I think I have killed two heads of the frogspawn. There’s a little green

color coming out of the third head so there’s a glimmer of hope that one will survive. Guess I learned my lesson with that last dip.

Day 39

I found a nerite snail on the floor late this afternoon. It was closed up tight as you would expect. I have no idea how long it had been there. It could have been as short as from last night (so maybe 12 hours) to as long as a day or two (because I recently vacuumed the floor and it wasn’t there then).  Anyone know how long they can survive out of the water all closed up like that? 

I’m always amazed how they open right back up when you plop them back in the water - like nothing ever happened.

I think I’d like to get one of these next time they are available somewhere. Let me know if you see one. 

49747568513_294238636b_c.jpg

This guy is extra salty
1 minute ago, SeaFurn said:

Day 39

I found a nerite snail on the floor late this afternoon. It was closed up tight as you would expect. I have no idea how long it had been there. It could have been as short as from last night (so maybe 12 hours) to as long as a day or two (because I recently vacuumed the floor and it wasn’t there then).  Anyone know how long they can survive out of the water all closed up like that? 

I’m always amazed how they open right back up when you plop them back in the water - like nothing ever happened.

I think I’d like to get one of these next time they are available somewhere. Let me know if you see one. 

49747568513_294238636b_c.jpg

Tell me why I “tried” to click on the other photo of it.. 😅

9 minutes ago, This guy is extra salty said:

Tell me why I “tried” to click on the other photo of it.. 😅

😂😂😂😂

Just for your Salty...

49748477867_4914863f11_c.jpg

• Haha 2
On 4/1/2020 at 11:06 PM, This guy is extra salty said:

We will all get through this pandemic, everyone needs to do their part. You know it’s serious when a hospital uses their own ambulances as delivery trucks71F13C78-71F4-4323-A815-F3B00DF13496.thumb.jpeg.57a1a01d2565b4d29601c77351bf8d75.jpeg

All production had shifted gears to making PPE for “essential workers”

A8F6E3FF-5038-45E3-BDF8-976CDF9E2769.thumb.jpeg.3a9c37f990964870dac9103842e0d4dc.jpeg10442ACE-530D-45FE-973D-41FB56C0A04F.thumb.jpeg.5b1b80599e1cdfd5b8d7ac70d6c9d93f.jpeg

I like the intubation boxes... we use them at my hosptial

• Like 4

Day 40

On 3/26/2020 at 5:42 AM, Azur said:

That hammer looks like it could pull through yet.

I think you were right! Check it out today - it’s still very white looking but I’m happy to see some tentacles. Will leave it in the 45 for several more weeks. Now the frogspawn, well, that’s another story. 😩

49751518546_d313b5f353_b.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Amphrites said:

You could go for a bugout stylo instead of the rainbow, fwiw I think it's much more striking in person, that or a teal/stellar stylo.

Really!? Do you have a picture of it? 

9 hours ago, SeaFurn said:

Really!? Do you have a picture of it? 

I do not, only been able to see either once or twice and if I took a picture it'd probably not look too different from what's online already anyway XD

Day 42

I spotted a couple of really small new heads on the acan today! I also spotted some new heads on the newest zoas to the tank! What is strange is that there doesn’t appear to be any growth at all of the older zoas. I guess they’ve just been through so much stress with everything that’s transpired with the tank that it’s going to take more time for their metabolism to readjust from survival mode to growth mode. 

Nonetheless, good news. 

• Like 5
On 4/9/2020 at 11:52 PM, SeaFurn said:

Day 41

Public Service Announcement...

...since we all have a little time on our hands. 

Get access to 6+ years of Coral Magazine digital issues for FREE, but only for a limited time. 

https://www.reef2rainforest.com/2020/04/07/coral-magazine-38-issues-with-free-digital-access/

And now I’ve got some reading to do...

That is amazing thanks for sharing

• Like 2
  • SeaFurn changed the title to Seafurn's Old School Pico Gets An Upgrade - 365 Day Challenge