Cultivated Reef

365 Day Challenge: First Coral- Pulsing Xenia

Chadicus Meridius

Chadicus Meridius

Results of General cure and Seachem Focus: 

Updates to come 

First of all I’m trying to make my fish color up better and no white poop.

Medications

image.thumb.jpeg.252fa425575547cc560a212b68f80b3d.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.d947304e47370776510f2848a6d1ee4b.jpeg

Prep) @Humblefish has helped me a lot so thanks to them🐥 I should be able to help my clown 🤡 really well.

Day 1, 5/28/20)

Mixing the Mysis shrimp with General cure and Focus

feeding I would say is successful because all the fish ate a few pieces of frozen mysis. I will post a picture of the clowns color before and for 1-2 weeks I will post be picture of her to show the progression 

Day 2)

image.thumb.jpeg.f6421c381cf8d6aca597ac8a1713774a.jpeg

Seems it is hard to tell the difference in picture but I’m just going to monitor his poop and see if it’s white and stringy for the next 2 weeks

Day 3) missed the picture but not much changed

day 4)

day 10) no white poop. Brown poop now .

image.thumb.jpeg.da74e287102529488a40e9a8f9f9d4d8.jpeg

No white poop in 4 days

Day 5)

day 6)

day 7) second time feeding medicinal food

updates to come

image.jpeg

• Like 2
Chadicus Meridius

FTS up on the first page.

doing some testing 

Salinity 1.025

ATO Coming tomorrow 

Phosphates: 0.25

nitrates: 1-2ppm

pH: 8.2

Alk: 8.6

Calcium: 470

Magnesium:  1470-1460

Chadicus Meridius

Update: I picked up my first coral 4 days ago it has settled in well and it’s actually already started to grow which is cool 😎. It was really annoying because I glued him down with epoxy and he was up for two days then he fell. I have to wait 24 more hours before I can turn Skimmer back on because it goes crazy 😜. But it’s in a better spot now.

image.thumb.jpeg.61c4cdcbaa3ea60289c88e541854961b.jpegoriginal spot .

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Seea said:

Update: I picked up my first coral 4 days ago it has settled in well and it’s actually already started to grow which is cool 😎. It was really annoying because I glued him down with epoxy and he was up for two days then he fell. I have to wait 24 more hours before I can turn Skimmer back on because it goes crazy 😜. But it’s in a better spot now.

image.thumb.jpeg.61c4cdcbaa3ea60289c88e541854961b.jpegoriginal spot .

Is it on its own rock! I would love some pulsating xenia but I dont really have a spot for them to flourish without taking over the entire rock XD I do have some firework cloves in the tank but they don't dance 😧

• Sad 1
Chadicus Meridius
1 hour ago, Gaze said:

Is it on its own rock! I would love some pulsating xenia but I dont really have a spot for them to flourish without taking over the entire rock XD I do have some firework cloves in the tank but they don't dance 😧

Yes it’s got an entire island to itself. That stinks the flow is nice.

33 minutes ago, andrewjardin said:

Your tank is looking great so far!  Following along to see how everything goes.. 😁

Thank you 🙏

Chadicus Meridius

Test:

phosphate: 0.25 ppm

alkalinity:8.6

Nitrate: 1-2 ppm probably higher my test kit is not the most accurate 

Calcium: 465

magnesium:1460

update: huge diatom bloom and algae bloom.

how often should you clean a power head?

• 3 weeks later...
Chadicus Meridius

So... I don’t know how to put this, but my first coral was a complete utter failure. It didn’t make it. A learning experience for this is that I don’t think my tank was ready for coral 

This has been a low month 2 snails and a coral died , but this is a stepping stone. I’d consider it a minor tank crash because my fish are doing very good.

I am going to do a big test as of right now and probably give it another week before I try a different coral or even longer. Wednesday I am picking up a better nitrate test kit. 

The tank is going through a big algae bloom . Green algae all over one rock and sand aswell as diatoms. 

Any advice or questions or criticism will be appreciated 

• Like 1
Aqua Splendor
36 minutes ago, Seea said:

So... I don’t know how to put this, but my first coral was a complete utter failure. It didn’t make it. A learning experience for this is that I don’t think my tank was ready for coral 

This has been a low month 2 snails and a coral died , but this is a stepping stone. I’d consider it a minor tank crash because my fish are doing very good.

I am going to do a big test as of right now and probably give it another week before I try a different coral or even longer. Wednesday I am picking up a better nitrate test kit. 

The tank is going through a big algae bloom . Green algae all over one rock and sand aswell as diatoms. 

Any advice or questions or criticism will be appreciated 

It does happen with every tank, don't worry too much 😉
Bacteria will probably the best help for that, the tank need more maturity I believe.

You can run your tank with just blue if you want for a certain period to prevent a little the algae bloom.

Another thing, feed only what fish can eat, like in less then 1 min.

And don't feed coral for now if they are mainly photosynthetic

• Like 2
Chadicus Meridius

Minor update: a nassarius snail I thought was dead was missing for two months and today it finally showed himself a very gamer moment indeed.

• 3 weeks later...
Chadicus Meridius

Back on track: I have had some losses over the last few weeks the biggest being the loss of my beloved Pulsing Xenia which was a big punch to the gut. On top of that I had lost all of my original CUC except for a nassarius snail that has shown himself a total of 3 times in the 3 -4 months if had it. One being yesterday night

The Good: a copepod and amphipod explosion aswell as what I believe a feather duster. The next coral I will pick up is a mushroom in 6 days. I have “replenished” my CUC with one banded Trochus who was put in last night, 5 asteria snails who are all doing good, last but not least, the most questionable pick up, an emerald crab who I also picked up yesterday that is doing good, I was scared about the acclimation because I’ve never successfully kept an invertebrate alive in freshwater let alone saltwater, but today I fed the emerald crab a mysis shrimp with tweezers and it ate it. Last good thing is none of my fish have passed away. Fish are going strong 💪 

Bad: all of my original snails are gone except the Nassarius snail. Pulsing Xenia deteriorated and I read that the decomposition can lessen the water quality exponentially. So it is out of the tank have done 3 water changes since then and now I will do one more before I get corals.

plans: get a coral

get a fire or cleaner shrimp

sexy shrimp

RFA

Questions: what are some small types of snail hitchhikers?