Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

365 Day Challenge: First Coral- Pulsing Xenia

Chadicus Meridius

Chadicus Meridius

RETURNING DAMSEL.

Plan: see if the store will take damsel back(way too aggressive) just got to catch him today put him in an acclimation box than bag him up. How to bag him up? 

put him a plastic bag filled with tank water?

future livestock plan: Pygmy hawk fish (looks amazing)

a tailspot blenny

Last addition (maybe) a type of goby 

inverts: RFA w/ porcelain crab

cleaner shrimp or fire shrimp (heard cleaner shrimp can be a pain)

emerald crab

equipment:

ATO: hopefully will get at end of May 

Skimmer: @DAHNIC561 should have an update soon on the 50 dollar skimmer innovative marine put out.

debbeach13

I can almost never catch a fish with out removing most of the rock. What is the total number of fish you want? I am just curious but don’t forget to research adult fish size and compatibility before making the purchase. In the beginning With my first SW tank I brought home a new fish and watched it become lunch for a different fish. A protein slimmer for $50 sounds like a deal.

• Like 1
Chadicus Meridius
2 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

I can almost never catch a fish with out removing most of the rock. What is the total number of fish you want? I am just curious but don’t forget to research adult fish size and compatibility before making the purchase. In the beginning With my first SW tank I brought home a new fish and watched it become lunch for a different fish. A protein slimmer for $50 sounds like a deal.

The total amount of fish I want is 4-5 

will do research on the fishes needs before I get any of them.

ill probably end up with 4 fish because I’m removing damsel and I want to pick up two different fish. 

im not sure a clown could eat a Pygmy hawk fish 

for a shrimp I have read that they do better in more established tanks.

• Like 1
DAHNIC561

This thing is skimming like a Champ right now...$42 Skimmer Champ...Kinda loud but I did come from a Reef Glass that had zero sound tho, so not a good comparison...

79DB33D3-2766-43AC-8787-662BDF16C99A.thumb.jpeg.2457013a1cb1c0f09564fd97a1424a1d.jpeg

EF57B8B7-E324-4F83-AE66-55B3A924188F.thumb.jpeg.104ee1fc19b1b1427ead9abfafb79804.jpeg

98EECEC4-4892-4654-BCB3-8CE09DEE64AC.thumb.jpeg.33dfc95c1ce9f54e15ca34c8434f63f0.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Wow 1
Chadicus Meridius
7 hours ago, DAHNIC561 said:

This thing is skimming like a Champ right now...$42 Skimmer Champ...Kinda loud but I did come from a Reef Glass that had zero sound tho, so not a good comparison...

79DB33D3-2766-43AC-8787-662BDF16C99A.thumb.jpeg.2457013a1cb1c0f09564fd97a1424a1d.jpeg

EF57B8B7-E324-4F83-AE66-55B3A924188F.thumb.jpeg.104ee1fc19b1b1427ead9abfafb79804.jpeg

98EECEC4-4892-4654-BCB3-8CE09DEE64AC.thumb.jpeg.33dfc95c1ce9f54e15ca34c8434f63f0.jpeg

Oh wow, looks like I’m picking up that skimmer when times come, thank you

• Like 1
Chadicus Meridius

I find it crazy that I’m already thinking of a bigger tank in the future and I have not even got my first coral. Specifically the JBJ 65, I just need to get a job and save up for it, hopefully this summer I can do that

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
Chadicus Meridius

I also find it hard to remove a fish because it is my first ever and I feel bad giving it to the store. Does anybody else feel this when removing a fish?

• Like 2
Chadicus Meridius

When you finally catch the fish you want to remove twice and he escapes from the net both times I’m so POed I just walked away and am going to try again later

• Like 1
Chadicus Meridius
4 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

Did he just get out of the net or the breeder box?

The net I didn’t scoop him up  quick enough

debbeach13

I posted on a different thread a  trick they had worked for me suggested years ago by a member. Use the net to chase the fish into a plastic cup. If you have room you can try two cups. 

• Like 1
Chadicus Meridius
14 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

I posted on a different thread a  trick they had worked for me suggested years ago by a member. Use the net to chase the fish into a plastic cup. If you have room you can try two cups. 

Ok I’ll try that if I can find some plastic cup

• Like 1
Chadicus Meridius

Tanks newest inhabitants: I think there a type of starfish I don’t know what though

image.thumb.jpeg.191b148f6a1d479d1e99ba47887856f6.jpeg

there everywhere and there cool seeing their tiny legs sway in the flow

• Wow 1
Chadicus Meridius
1 minute ago, Ratvan said:

Look like a type of Hydroid Jellyfish to me

Wow. That’s even cooler 😎 . I’ll research them after my AP exam

• Like 1
Chadicus Meridius
1 minute ago, Ratvan said:

Harmless unless you keep seahorses

Do they sting, if they do sometimes after taking my hand out of the tank it stings, but I don’t find it to be that big of a problem.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Seea said:

Do they sting, if they do sometimes after taking my hand out of the tank it stings, but I don’t find it to be that big of a problem.

I don't think so. That sounds like you should be wearing gloves.

They disappear naturally over time, or very quickly if you have a wrasse I found

• Like 1
Chadicus Meridius

Is digging natural behavior for a damsel , he never ever digs and now both my clowns and damsel have dug out a corner in the tank. Pretty interesting though. The clowns really don’t have a place to host, so it could be them creating territory. I’m tryna get a coral soon, but I want my Salinity to be stable before I get one.

sorry for bad pictures it’s morning time I’ll give better pictures during daytime

clownfish den

image.thumb.jpeg.40d2eb2afbb93944e310f3e421fc2367.jpeg

damsel hole 
image.thumb.jpeg.82286b0899a56a66c897020b7d5741de.jpeg

• Like 1
banasophia

I had a real problem with hydroids in my tank... the nonmotile type covered my rocks and stung stuff. They did ultimately go away after about 10 months, but if you are able to remove them somehow I would. 

• Wow 1
Chadicus Meridius
1 minute ago, banasophia said:

I had a real problem with hydroids in my tank... the nonmotile type covered my rocks and stung stuff. They did ultimately go away after about 10 months, but if you are able to remove them somehow I would. 

Ohh , After I finally catch the damsel, I’m thinking a type of wrasse that eats them to thin the population, so they won’t sting my fish. Thanks . I’ve read six line wrasse, but that’s the reason I’m removing the damsel it’s to reduce aggression. Do you know a type of wrasse? @banasophia

banasophia

Oh I just meant scoop em out if it’s possible rather than leaving them be... could try to suck them out with a turkey baster. I didn’t know what a pain hydroids were when I first got them and I just let them be, but I wish I’d removed in the beginning. 

• Like 1