Coral Vue Hydros

365 Day Challenge: First Coral- Pulsing Xenia

Chadicus Meridius

Chadicus Meridius
10 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

Copepods can be introduced from live rock or frag/coral additions. You can buy them in a bottle. LFS usually have them and there are a lot of online venders that carry them. 

I want to add some but I don’t have a refugium and I feel like they populate better there. So would I need a refugium or can they repopulate in the DT

I also do not have a refugium and have only purchased a bottle of pods once. At the time my new Bangai cardinal was not eating so I got the pod's to provide a live food option. I did have an area in the tank with deep sand held in place with rock and I piled up rubble and empty shells. Then I dumped the pods there. The pods didn't last long because I got a couple clowns. Between the 3 fish and crabs NOM NOM pods populations was greatly reduced. The clowns who eat just about any thing helped the cardinal adjust and eat a variety of foods. Sorry for the long answer. 

Chadicus Meridius
7 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

I also do not have a refugium and have only purchased a bottle of pods once. At the time my new Bangai cardinal was not eating so I got the pod's to provide a live food option. I did have an area in the tank with deep sand held in place with rock and I piled up rubble and empty shells. Then I dumped the pods there. The pods didn't last long because I got a couple clowns. Between the 3 fish and crabs NOM NOM pods populations was greatly reduced. The clowns who eat just about any thing helped the cardinal adjust and eat a variety of foods. Sorry for the long answer. 

Your good I thank you for long answers. So copepods are used for picky eaaters but if I wanted to add a refugium to give a place for the pods to repopulate could I . Also I’m making RODI water to top off tank from my mistake yesterday . But it’s outside and it’s cold lol. 

You can try to make a refugium in one of your back chambers. This was very popular when JBJ nano cubes first came out. Now is much easier with the variety of LEDs some are submersible. It is against contest rules to have an external refugium. Are you considering pods just for some diversity. 

Chadicus Meridius
9 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

You can try to make a refugium in one of your back chambers. This was very popular when JBJ nano cubes first came out. Now is much easier with the variety of LEDs some are submersible. It is against contest rules to have an external refugium. Are you considering pods just for some diversity. 

Yea I’m trying to increase the biodiversity and get a micro cleanup crew because I read that there mini detrivores . It would be in my second section of the sump area.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Seea said:

I want to add some but I don’t have a refugium and I feel like they populate better there. So would I need a refugium or can they repopulate in the DT

mine came on a pice of live rock and there over the glass live in the rocks no worries they have plenty of places to hide

• Like 2
Chadicus Meridius
40 minutes ago, naothan said:

mine came on a pice of live rock and there over the glass live in the rocks no worries they have plenty of places to hide

Ok thank you.

My salinity has been lowered to 1.025. I put myself and the damsel through a real scare. He survived living in high salinity for idk how long.

• Like 1
Chadicus Meridius

It’s probably normal behavior of a damsel . But he looks like he’s eating algae or something off of a rock. Is it normal?

• Like 1
Chadicus Meridius
3 hours ago, banasophia said:

Just take the snail out of the bag, put it in a cup of your tank water and see if you can scrape it off. 

It came off

• Like 2
Chadicus Meridius

If I over feed once on accident is it that big of a deal?

ima wait for most food to be sucked up than i am gonna replace filter floss

Chadicus Meridius
2 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

Every one has done that. You have a good plan. Can you siphon some maybe hold a net for the water to go through? Maybe also skip the next feeding.

Will do. 🙂 

• Like 1
Chadicus Meridius

I don’t even know what’s up with my tanks Alkalinity because it’s so low (6) it used to be 7-8 and nothing was taking it up(I assume) . My calcium was 490(doing a test for this shortly) and my ph is stable at 8.2. 

when I get corals am I going to need to manually dose because my alk  is low?

Chadicus Meridius

Magnesium-1470

Dkh- 6

nitrate-5

ph-8.2

Salinity-1.026

Calcium- 490

nitrate-5ppm

phosphate- 0.03

27 minutes ago, banasophia said:

What salt are you using? 

Instant ocean reef crystals.

it could be my test kit is whack.

Chadicus Meridius
20 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

What does the salt bag say the dk is? Test the tank again like banasophia suggested and next time you make new water test that.

The salt doesn’t say the dk, weird I think, I’ll test the next batch I make. And I’ll retest my tank soon.

• Like 2