inTank Media Baskets

365 Day Challenge: First Coral- Pulsing Xenia

Chadicus Meridius

Oh man I just did that with my mixing water last weekend actually... I thought I’d made a fine adjustment to my heater but apparently changed it more than I had thought... had to wait for it to cool back down. 

• Like 2
Chadicus Meridius

I think I did an oopsie . The damsel does not look good after the water change. He’s hiding in a corner. It’s kind of like when I first put him in the tank 😞. I think I know what I did wrong.

Chadicus Meridius
Just now, banasophia said:

What’s up? 

I believe I added the water to quickly and put the fish in shock or just scared him idk.

1 minute ago, Seea said:

I believe I added the water to quickly and put the fish in shock or just scared him idk.

Fish are more resilient than you would think... I’d just double check your salinity to be sure it’s okay, and give the fish time to settle back down... 

Chadicus Meridius

My refractometer  wasn’t calibrated 🤦‍♂️ . Rookie mistake I guess. Salinity was always plus 4 higher than I thought. I’m slowly lowering it. He is looking a lot better though . It wasn’t that my salinity was bad it was it went from 1.026 to 1.030 . This is guesswork IDRK what my exact salinity was.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Seea said:

My refractometer  wasn’t calibrated 🤦‍♂️ . Rookie mistake I guess. Salinity was always plus 4 higher than I thought. I’m slowly lowering it. He is looking a lot better though 

As long as the water change and tank water were the same, that probably wasn’t an issue... what was it? 

Chadicus Meridius
Just now, banasophia said:

As long as the water change and tank water were the same, that probably wasn’t an issue... what was it? 

Instant ocean reef crystals RODI water the mixed water was 1.025 and the tank water was “1.026”, but was actually 1.030

3 minutes ago, Seea said:

Instant ocean reef crystals RODI water the mixed water was 1.025 and the tank water was “1.026”, but was actually 1.030

Okay... I wouldn’t worry about that too much... I’d just lower over a few days... 

4 hours ago, Seea said:

when i mix my water i add salt. let it mix for 2 hours, check sel and make whatever changes....  when i warm the water up to tank temp, i check again. i found with me that sometimes when the water warms up the sel goes up a little, i do not  know if that has any weight to it. just my experience with my salt and mixing. 

• Like 3
Chadicus Meridius
44 minutes ago, naothan said:

when i mix my water i add salt. let it mix for 2 hours, check sel and make whatever changes....  when i warm the water up to tank temp, i check again. i found with me that sometimes when the water warms up the sel goes up a little, i do not  know if that has any weight to it. just my experience with my salt and mixing. 

Alright ty .

Chadicus Meridius

I finished the DIY pokey thingy . I put it together pretty quickly but I’m pretty sure it will become useful in the future😂

image.thumb.jpeg.1a3484bfa019a66aeb21ec0a8295923e.jpeg

the damsel is doing ok now he is back to his normal routine of hiding when scared.

image.jpeg

• Haha 1
  • Wow 1
4 hours ago, Seea said:

I finished the DIY pokey thingy . I put it together pretty quickly but I’m pretty sure it will become useful in the future😂

image.thumb.jpeg.1a3484bfa019a66aeb21ec0a8295923e.jpeg

the damsel is doing ok now he is back to his normal routine of hiding when scared.

image.jpeg

what on earth is that for ?

• Haha 3
Chadicus Meridius
1 minute ago, naothan said:

what on earth is that for ?

Hard to explain .  for now nothing, but when I want to point out a coral I’ll point with it

• Haha 1
4 hours ago, Seea said:

Hard to explain .  for now nothing, but when I want to point out a coral I’ll point with it

im sure it will be fine, im no chemist however.. i try to keep everything out of my tank water that i can, i dunno about pencil lead and the adhesive of the scotch tape lol maby dollar store has something long and made of plastic 

• Like 2
Chadicus Meridius
Just now, naothan said:

im sure it will be fine, im no chemist however.. i try to keep everything out of my tank water that i can, i dunno about pencil lead and the adhesive of the scotch tape lol maby dollar store has something long and made of plastic 

Ohh lol I’m not gonna  put it in tank no chance.

• Haha 2

I can’t tell from the pic... don’t add any additional fish to your tank for the time being... hopefully he’ll be okay. 

• Thanks 1
Chadicus Meridius

He is doing a lot better . The past two days he would dive into the rock and I was scared but he didn’t do that today so far. 

on the contrary a question about copepods. 
do copepods come naturally or do I have to add them if I don’t have live rock?

the weird thing is he dove into a rock with diatoms on it and the diatoms came off and he ate them.