ReefCleaners.org

Peaches' 365 AIO Challenge, DIY Reef

Peaches

The RO unit arrived today so things should start looking up now.

Interesting when looking closely at the algae that is in the tank at the moment it's covered in tiny white bugs. I wonder if these are eating the algae? 

• Like 1
debbeach13

I think it is always good to gather as much information as possible. Often it conflicts but as a group nano reef seems pretty good at sorting it out. What works for one member may not work for all. You never know with live stock. Fish of the same type can have very different personalities and coral can react so different in different tanks. It is part of the fun. Pushing limits and learning new approaches keeps it so interesting.

• Like 3
  • 4 weeks later...

July FTS

20200802_142341.thumb.jpg.d08ca3d0805b449bb1591619f0ee9154.jpg

What a change quality RO water makes! This month I have seem to have got my nitrate and phosphate in check. I'm now measuring ~2ppm nitrate and 0.1ppm phosphate which I'm happy with. The algae in the tank seems to have changed a little and is now tougher but I'm also getting much less build up on the glass. You win some, you lose some I guess. 

GSP has started growing up the back wall but most other corals seem to be stagnant. Now my water quality is under control, I'll shift my focus from survival mode to getting some stability and growth. 

I'm also considering a third and final fish, preferably something fearless, maybe a clown? 

• Like 3
  • 3 weeks later...

My rocks are always covered in sand and today I caught my wrasse doing this. Does anyone else finder their fish doing this. Is it out of boredom or is it there something tasty in the sand? Its always picking sand from the same location so I'm guessing it does it just for fun 🤷‍♂️

• 2 weeks later...

August FTS

20200902_203250.thumb.jpg.e596ccf5cf5206b75d1c00f62c453951.jpg

20200902_203441.thumb.jpg.980345a10b368bdecc3474a6f1bbc118.jpg

The tank has been a bit neglected this month. Nitrate and phosphate is nice and stable. Algae seems to be mostly under control but alk is lower than I would like. I need to look at dosing options or increasing water changes. 

I've moved my Florida ricordia hoping to get it open up more but have not yet found its happy place. 

Stability is still my main focus and also trying to keep my hands out of the tank as much as possible which is easier said than done 

• Like 3
  • 1 month later...

September FTS:

20201004_072417_1920x1080.thumb.jpg.04b43dce6512e3ede618ecca4749f206.jpg

I attempted to add a molly to the tank to keep on top of the algae growing on the rocks. The wrasse made short work of its new tank mate and ate its fins before the end of the day. I guess that means I won't be adding a clown anymore either.

I also discovered an aiptasia which I haven't done anything about, What's everyones favourite treatment, both commercial and DIY?

The Florida ricordia is more pissed than ever and has lost all its orange, and my cloves have also shrunk significantly. I'm guessing my nutrients are too low now that nitrate and phosphate are under control.

• 5 weeks later...

October FTS

20201101_203630.thumb.jpg.0c583338193cdbad2afb4bd089e06d86.jpg

We've had a few losses this month. I found the clown goby in the overflow last week so I'm not sure if it died and got sucked in or vice versa. The ricordia also carked it along with the clove polyps. 

The favia is growing well along with the GSP. I'm thinking if I want to introduce new fish I need to rehome the Wrasse 🤔 I'm feeling a road trip coming on so I can trade in the Wrasse for some new fish and some larger flowing corals. 

In other news alkalinity is nice and stable at 9dKH which I'm now dosing daily with a DIY 2 Part solution made from baking soda.

• 2 months later...

I've decided to dismantle my tank. Getting stock has just been that little bit too difficult in these times which means I have not been able to progress my tank the way I wanted to. 

• Sad 3