Coral Vue Hydros

Side Cabinet Designs?

DSA65PRO

I got some 1” Plywood from some large Cabinets, that were scrapped, at work. I’m thinking about making a side Cabinet, for my Doser, which sets on a little shelf behind my Aquarium. PIA to access. Also for my Electrical, which is a Nightmare behind my Aquarium. Any ideas, does and don’ts.?

1 hour ago, DSA65PRO said:

I got some 1” Plywood from some large Cabinets, that were scrapped, at work. I’m thinking about making a side Cabinet, for my Doser, which sets on a little shelf behind my Aquarium. PIA to access. Also for my Electrical, which is a Nightmare behind my Aquarium. Any ideas, does and don’ts.?

Yeah, don't use 1" thick plywood unless you plan on parking your truck on it! If you are going to make it like a traditional cabinet box, 1/2" ply is more than enough to work with if you are facing it. If you want it to be able to support another tank on top or just be really beefy and forgiving to poor construction, 5/8" ply would be extremely burly. 5/8" will let you use euro hinges as well without a cabinet face.

If you don't want to deal with building a traditional plywood cabinet, you can use 1x2" pine to build a frame and use a thin sheathing of your choice and load it up with molding.

I do want the Cabinet to be strong, and the 1” Plywood is Free Salvage from a heavy duty cabinet they Demo’ed at work. Just wished they had of told me, before they took a Sledgehammer to the Cabinet. I want to put a Four Channel Doser in it with the Dosing Reservoir and a 2-1/2 Gallon make up water container. 

• 5 weeks later...

1" is extreme overkill, but free is free. 

Plan your equipment placement and wire management carefully. Don't overlook the fact that there's a damned good chance that you'll have to pull one or two things out of that box for cleaning/repair/replacement in the future. Don't make it so built-in that you can pull your gear out. 

Plan your jug placement too. Will you be filling the water jug in place or removing it and replacing it? Account for splashing and spills either way. Take your time, match your stand with hardware and finish and plan, plan, plan.