Top Shelf Aquatics

devaji108

NoOneLikesADryTang
8 minutes ago, devaji108 said:

yeah not much around these parts. ti be fair Salt lake city  in about 5 hours away. and there is a hand full  of LFS down there. still to long of a drive for a cpl corals and a fish tho. unless I have another reason to go.    

If you do end up in SLC, I’ve got a great contact that’s a hobbiest there that has lots of nice zoas for a pretty reasonable price. I picked up a few from him when I was there visiting. 

• Like 1
On 2/28/2020 at 6:34 PM, devaji108 said:

here is a shoot I took a few days before the tank transfer prob. one of the best i have.

dose not look as good after the move some of the nems moved ks  and I had to rescape with the men on the rocks not easy for sure.  but they will find there place and all will be happy once again... 

RFA evening .jpg

Gorgeous shot and colours on those Nems

• Like 4
3 hours ago, Ratvan said:

Gorgeous shot and colours on those Nems

yeah I really liked that view but they moved after the restart and dont quite look as good 😞

still on the fence about an order. 

in other tank news..

I also need to get a media basket and lid for the tank oh and some 1/2" loc line so I can use mt VCA RFG...humm stuff for the tank OR in the tank??

i'll update once i decide.   

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, SliceGolfer said:

The rock work in your 1.0 build of this tank was epic

I thought so too.  after the move I will spend more time trying to get it back but hard to scape what the nems have moved I also put a few pieces of LR in the back AIO so there is less LR in the DT. but yeah I really liked the scape was my best ever. 

so much easier when you have dry rock no live stock  and no water.  lol

SliceGolfer

I've had success with 1.5" Marinepure spheres vs LR in the sump area. I dont have them in a bag, they're in my InTank basket or stacked in a chamber. Nice thing is you can grab them easily and seed other tanks. They do a great job consuming nitrates as well.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, SliceGolfer said:

I've had success with 1.5" Marinepure spheres vs LR in the sump area. I dont have them in a bag, they're in my InTank basket or stacked in a chamber. Nice thing is you can grab them easily and seed other tanks. They do a great job consuming nitrates as well.

yup I got a few of them back there too. really like em. I knew i would rescpae here soon so  I did a pretty quick scape for now. 

• Like 1

well i had a cpl more rock nems move..grr I thought that might happen and it did. nothing to bad tho. 

I hope when I move I will be able to get them all off the rock - unlikely or maybe break the rock for the new scape?

still need to get a FTS for the thread. soon.

NoOneLikesADryTang
7 minutes ago, devaji108 said:

well i had a cpl more rock nems move..grr I thought that might happen and it did. nothing to bad tho. 

I hope when I move I will be able to get them all off the rock - unlikely or maybe break the rock for the new scape?

still need to get a FTS for the thread. soon.

In my experience, you usually have to break the rock to get to their foot. It's crazy how they deep in to a rock they get get their foot. If you can see/get to their foot you can usually get it released, but most of the time they have their foot deep into the rock. 

How deep is your sand bed? I've found these guys like PVC end caps, and usually won't move out of them, the downside, of course being you need a deepish sand bed to totally hide the pvc cap in the sand. 

3 minutes ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

In my experience, you usually have to break the rock to get to their foot. It's crazy how they deep in to a rock they get get their foot. If you can see/get to their foot you can usually get it released, but most of the time they have their foot deep into the rock. 

How deep is your sand bed? I've found these guys like PVC end caps, and usually won't move out of them, the downside, of course being you need a deepish sand bed to totally hide the pvc cap in the sand. 

sand is 1/2"-3/4" nit to deep at all.

yeah I have heard that with the PVC that is my plan with the mini max and soe RFS moving forward. its not big deal they will find there spot. with slight increase in flow and new scape they had to move a bit 

might just place an order for 10 more? was thinking about some min max but most i liked are sold out as I was slow on deciding.  

thinking out load here...

I am not sure I want to use the DIY branch rock I am making. slow process but I have started but will another month min. prob more like 2  till really for tank life.

maybe i just add it to the large peninsula. with the reel reef rock I think DIY rock will stand out like a sore thumb. 

I could  add it to the sump of the 650P ( once that up and running ) for a few months to get some color. but that would be 6-8 months down the line  before adding it to the nano.

either way I think i will finish the project just to see how it turn out. 

• Like 1
21 hours ago, devaji108 said:

Try putting the rock right in the path of the flow...they don’t usually like getting blasted and will move. 

Or even gently blast them with a turkey baster over the course of the day. You simply want to irritate them from their comfy spot. 

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, SeaFurn said:

Try putting the rock right in the path of the flow...they don’t usually like getting blasted and will move. 

Or even gently blast them with a turkey baster over the course of the day. You simply want to irritate them from their comfy spot. 

yup I have heard that and have done that in the past with a BTA . we will see, it is so much easier to scape with out corals  on the rocks for sure.

• Like 1

some quick snaps of the tank. I better get out the good camera soon..

couch side:

image.thumb.png.fc3e1db013905d25575d0c1720dccf57.png

font:

image.thumb.png.51cb836316c96607ee3e4efcc30db866.png

chair side:

image.thumb.png.b8eef560ba1a3e14493f49518b19180d.png

hard to belive I have around 20 RFA in there from these quick pics. but I do.

• Like 5

not much to report, still thinking about an RFA order but dropped lots of money on survival  supplies mostly food  and what not if things do get bad living in a very rural area shipment of supplies might be slow.  by no means am i a pepper or one to by in to the fear base reality. but it did make the GF fell better to have a few weeks of food in the house.

I am gonna try to get another flat pack of mysis shrimp at the local pet store if they have it. only have 4 fish  and still have  1/2  of a large 16OZer so we will see.

I really would love to get that 10 pack of RFA I will see what the paycheck looks like today and decide. 

other than that the tank is cruising along I think the RFAs enjoy the hour or two of morning sun that comes in the window before the lights kick on around 10ish

• Like 1
6 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

I don't see any thing wrong with being prepared. These days you never know.

our thoughts too. might as well. unfortunately it's gonna get worse before it gets better.  

gotta keep the animals and the GF happy. 

sure would like to get some life in the tank other thank the RFA so want to order the other inverts...must resist. HAHA  

• Like 1

not much to report on the that 8 days. tank is crusing along. I drop one drop of sponge p0wer in a week and a few very small pelts just to give it some nutrients.

a cpl string on the cyano   is coming back nothing to much i'll try to get in there and suck it out. 

I was gonna get something for the tank  ( maybe for RFA or a few frags of zoas ) but I had a client cancel the other day guess she did not want a massage with the state of the world. better be safe than sorry. 

really want to get more life in this tank. looking so good and I see the potential it's hard to just kick back when you all are adding fish,CUC and corals to the your tanks. lol

I guess if I have some extra money I could get a the screen top to keep the silly cat from drink the SW or a custom made media catty. both would be nice addition to the tank and easy to move + are needed so I guess that should be what I focus on.        

well my work officially closed for the season and most if not all of my private clients are canceling there appts.

what!  no one wants a massage?  it's not  like there is some sort of pandemic going on LOL

but in all seriousness be safe out there NR community this shall pass too. until then enjoy your tanks and loved ones.

take this time to slow down.

• Like 4

SOOOO I had to go over to the next bigger size town for a home depot run  to keep the reno going on the home. stop by petco just to see. 

they are having there famous dollar per gallon sale going on.

and to my surprise they had 50% off the new rimless tanks.  I dont really need yet another tank as I have 2 -40br,29H, 20L and 10 gal. tanks + the 18.5 fifji cube and the soon to be red sea reefer 650P  BUT it was a sale...lol

really thought about the 10 gal rimless   or a smaller cube. almost picked up the 10 for $20 but decided not to at last second as it still has the plastic bottom and the glass is quit thin. I am spoiled by the high quality rimless tanks, and the fact i dont really need it and one more think to move + with everything going on I got out the the store with out spending a dime!    

oh and there SW section looked really bad.

• Like 2
11 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

So proud of you. Resisting a sale is tough. The closest Percocet to me is closed.

PETCO not Percocet 

yeah mine was 100 miles each way. but silly home depo made me drive there to use store credit. it was good to get out of the mountains tho. 

not gonna lie it was tempting tho... lol   

• Like 2

thought you all might like a pic of the tank...oh and the cat doing what they do best lounging around this time taking up the arm rest on the couch  by the tank.

20200323_212420-01-jpeg.1489383

• Like 2

a almost LFS 2 hr away each way was having a auction online alot of great corals.

so I pick up  some corals and there going in this tank temp. until I get the bigger peninsula set up a cycled in a few months. getting  closer day by day...

I got:

one head of frogspawn

one hear green hammer

4" nice lobo

pretty much all for the bigger tank. but they can hang out in here for a few months.

I missed a nice acanophillia   that I was bummed slow internet and FB + not knowing how best to do a FB auction = missed it. there was no bids on it but by the time I found it and posted i wanted it at asking price I was 1 min to late and they will not sell it to me...booo... I know right.   one of my all time fav. corals been on the list for years. so hopefully they will get more in this summer now that indo is shipping.

with the hammer and frogspawn it will be nice to have some movement in the tank.

with everything going on it will be a few days until i get them once there in the tank i'll post pics. 😄

till then stay safe and sane NR    

• Like 2